Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #1

RV Site Restrictions

We're ready to trade my 5th wheel for a Class A motor home. In general, will we find problems with length and weight restrictions at RV Parks for a 45 'coach?

Thanks for your help.
oscarwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!

With a 45' coach you will have issue with some older commercial parks that have not updated to accommodate larger coaches. Many National and State Parks may well be an issue as well. That said, there are many many places that will be able to accommodate you. Much depends on the type of camping you do.

The search feature will find several existing threads on this topic as well.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarwild View Post
We're ready to trade my 5th wheel for a Class A motor home. In general, will we find problems with length and weight restrictions at RV Parks for a 45 'coach?

Thanks for your help.
Every RV park I have been you can't walk 10 feet without running in to one of big rigs with 4 or 5 slides. They make my little 39' 2 slides coach look tiny.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #4

If you're getting a coach that big I would think you would be looking more at resorts or high end parks that were built to accommodate larger units than camp grounds. I've seen a lot, especially state parks, that don't have the overhead clearance or radius in the curves to get something that big in and out. I've got a 33 ft. motor and there's a couple I go to that are tight even for that.
Argosy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #5

If the RV parks do not state "big rig friendly" you may likely have a problem there.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not only are most State parks out but will find that getting 50amp power will also be an issue in a lot of older parks. As stated if it doesn't say Big Rig Friendly then it ain't. If you go around 40' then you can still get into 95% of the places.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I haven't even left yet and one of the RV parks in Tx states that they have a 10 year rule. It must be approved by management. Am I going to run into that a lot down there.?
My MH is 31 years old but it shines like its new, runs like it's new & sounds good. I am going to give them a call and see what I have to do. It really looks like a nice place.
I remember the ins co requested pictures inside and out because I wanted full coverage. I have full coverage.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not volunteer the info on its age, nor would I argue about it. If asked I would turn to my DW [even if she was not there-assuming a phone call] and ask, so the person on the other end could hear, 'What year is this honey? An '04? Thanks.' Then to the person on the phone "She said she thought it was an '04." [about 9 years old].

Or, if this doesn't set well with you, just thank them and try elsewhere.
YMMV
Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:01 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarwild View Post
We're ready to trade my 5th wheel for a Class A motor home. In general, will we find problems with length and weight restrictions at RV Parks for a 45 'coach? Thanks for your help.
There are plenty of 45' coaches out there.
I use Allstays for most of my bookings.
Except for some state parks where max length is way below 40' I have never been inconvenienced.
I travel 2 x 10 week trips of about 5000 miles North, east and west of Dallas each year and have never had an issue.
I generally book in advance in the high seasons but just call ahead on the day in say march and October.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:22 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Traveling across the country from CA to FL to MI and back to CA all in 5 weeks. There was one state park that we had to unhook the trailer and we parked in the spot a little crooked. I think they were made for 30ft or less RVs and ours is 40ft. They suggested for us to park a little crooked and were building more sites more able to handle the bigger rigs.
As for age the only park we have run into that was for those that were wanting to stay monthly, those that wanted to stay daily or weekly did not have to give them a copy of the registration.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I haven't even left yet and one of the RV parks in Tx states that they have a 10 year rule. It must be approved by management. Am I going to run into that a lot down there.?
My MH is 31 years old but it shines like its new, runs like it's new & sounds good. I am going to give them a call and see what I have to do. It really looks like a nice place.
I remember the ins co requested pictures inside and out because I wanted full coverage. I have full coverage.
We are staying at a park in March that has a 10 year limit .I emailed them a picture and was approved right away .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:36 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
"Big Rigs Best Bets"... Get a copy when you buy that 45 footer!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:47 AM   #14

Regarding state parks, we've never had an issue. We do look for "big rig friendly" endorsements, but if that's an issue, or if there's a size limit, have found campground personnel very helpful when asked? Many times they'll have a larger site held in reserve for such occasions. 50 amp and sewer not always available, but it's not always necessary either?

I think if you're used to a larger 5th wheel, you'll be fine with a 45' DP - as soon as you get used to handling it! A LOT of this is about you and how well you handle your rig. That's been our experience anyway.