Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2022, 12:48 PM   #1

RV Storage and air bags

Hello…..

I have been RVing for awhile with trailer trailers and fifth wheels. I just upgraded and purchased a class A Thor Aria 3401. The question I have is: should I be storing the motor home with the air bags full of air or should I dump all the air while in storage? Thank you for any advice.
Mcastro422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2022, 01:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It really doesn’t matter. If you have everything shut off, the bags will naturally lose air over time. Or you can dump air.
pduggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #3

If you park with the bags inflated, in time they will be deflated, so it really doesn't matter how you leave it. As the saying goes, you can dump me now or I'll dump me later.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:41 PM   #4

I would dump the air in the air bags. The air bags will loose air over time but typically at different rates which could possibly twist the frame.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:59 PM   #5

Cool Don't dump them...

Air Lift says to leave "some" air in the bags to prevent them from distorting/wrinkling which will shorten their life. I run my Air Lift 5,000# bags at 50 psi when towing my 10' cargo trailer {2,200 - 2,600#} with our 24' Class C.
This raises the tongue about an inch and half bringing it dead level with the top of the ball at 16" as recommended by the trailer manufacturer.

When not towing I keep 25 psi in the bags which improved the overall ride and handling as we normally run close if not at our GVWR of 11,500#. Yes, they will all lose some air over time so check and top them off as needed on a regular basis.

Capt Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 10:15 PM   #6

I dump the air and then leave the coach on the levelers , check level once a month when in storage.

When not being driven my coach is on the levelers 12 years and counting , no air bag issues no leveler issues .
Old 05-20-2022, 11:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmygt View Post
I would dump the air in the air bags. The air bags will loose air over time but typically at different rates which could possibly twist the frame.
"Twist the frame"???
No Sir, that won't happen. What do you think the frame goes through when you enter drive ways? How about radical entrances to gas stations? How about turning from a level street to an uphill one? No, you won't have frame twist just because one air bag looses air faster than the others and "tilts" a little bit. Frames can take quite a bit of "twisting" waaaaay before any damage can take place.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:09 AM   #8

Here is what I learned at Camp Freightliner about storage, tires and air bags. Build a set of wooden blocks that will just fit under your leveler pads when they are in the up/retracted position. Push the blocks under your leveler pads then release the air suspension. Your rig will settle onto the blocks but the levelers will support most of the weight. The leveler rams are NOT exposed. Your tires now only have the un-sprung axle weight on them. And to further protect the tires, place any non-organic substance under them during storage. I park on concrete so I bought a 4' x 8' sheet of fiberglass reinforced panel (FRP) at Home Depot and cut it into four 2' x 4' sections. My tires rest on these panels when in storage. Theory is it helps prevent the natural "oils' from leeching out of the tires. Not sure but it makes sense and the FRP is cheap insurance. I also am fortunate enough to be able to store indoors and I just replaced my original tires at 8-1/2 years. Tires had no physical damage at all (cracking, drying, knots, bulges, etc) and still had 7/32" average tread depth after 50,000 miles. This was a better safe than sorry, time based replacement.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would dump the air for two reasons. It's closer to the ground and the bags are not stored under load.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ags, air, air bags, storage