Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

LOL. The tire doesn't know if its on a truck or a motorhome. As someone said, nearly every single tire model used on RVs is also used on trucks. The GY G670 is about the only one that is recommended exclusively for RVs, but no trucker would be foolish enough to pay G670 prices anyway.

I run Toyos up front and Continentals on the back.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 04:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
Supposedly, one difference between truck tires and RV tires is a more flexible sidewall on the RV tire for a smoother ride (this may be the reason for a lighter weight and for more zipper failures for RV tires). One reason truck tires have heavier sidewalls to better resist curb-banging.

Another difference between truck tires and RV tires is RV tires have more UV inhibitors because RV tires tend to spend a lot of time sitting in one place either in storage or at a campground. Flexing of tires when they're rolling helps UV inhibitors migrate to the surface where they can do their job.
Michelin RV tires have more UV inhibitors?? Try telling that to the thousands of people, including myself, who have had premature sidewall cracking on Michelin XRVs.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #45

RV Tire or Truck Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Michelin RV tires have more UV inhibitors?? Try telling that to the thousands of people, including myself, who have had premature sidewall cracking on Michelin XRVs.

I regularly see this stated that the RV marketed tires have more UV inhibitors, but Michelin at least, makes no such statement in Their literature.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #46

My coach originally came with XRV 22.5 tires. They gave me a good ride for five years, then the side wall checking started.

I replaced them with Toyo M-154 tires. I am not sure if they are truck or RV tires, but they are superior to the XRV tires. Like somebody else mentioned: Peace of mind. Worrying about having a zipper blow out always bothered me with the XRV tires.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:53 AM   #47

I am running Goodyear G661 HSA on all positions. These are high scrub truck tires. I have been very happy with these tires, but they were on the coach when I bought it from the previous owner. He told me they rode better than the Michelins he replaced, but I personally have no means of comparison. I was also told by the Goodyear dealer they were a better tire than the RV specific tire they sell. I plan to replace with the same tires when the time comes.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:52 AM   #48

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
Several yrs ago I contacted all of the 'Big name" tire manufacturers reps on UV damage prevention recommendations when buying new 22.5 tires. Only one claimed to have any UV protection in their tires.....Goodyear, and they said it was only good for first 24 months of tire life. Don't know what the tire makers are saying today. But I don't think they want any liability on the subject of tire age.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:20 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
If you want to have continued UV protection for your tires use 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Use 303 on roof, slide seals and Diamond Shield. Never use it on tires. Replace Toyo's every six yrs. Never seen sidewall checking yet. 303 and seven yrs...don't think so.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:19 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post

Use 303 on roof, slide seals and Diamond Shield. Never use it on tires. Replace Toyo's every six yrs. Never seen sidewall checking yet. 303 and seven yrs...don't think so.
I hope you were joking about never using 303 on tires. If not then do NOT post incorrect statements that you cannot back up with facts.

Here is a list of uses for 303 Aerospace Protectant one of which is TIRES.

303 Aerospace Protectant

There are literally hundreds of uses for the 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I hope you were joking about never using 303 on tires. If not then do NOT post incorrect statements that you cannot back up with facts.

Here is a list of uses for 303 Aerospace Protectant one of which is TIRES.

303 Aerospace Protectant

There are literally hundreds of uses for the 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I am sorry, you misinterpreted my meaning. "I" never use 303 on "MY" tires.
Why bother, they do fine without it, on my replacement schedule. Aged tires have more weakness then side wall checking.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
we went with Hankooks last january.

put a few thousand miles on them and so far so good.
ride is better than the goodyears and i run a bit higher psi. 105 up front and 100 out back

biggest thing that i love is we added equal beads at the tire change...smoooooth is a good word
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:22 PM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Tires on a big RV

I am new to this forum but not to RVing My first one was in 1968 and home built. Since then there have been 12 RVs From a 4 wheel Williamson Craft to the current Allegro Bus. The only tire problems I have had were on Michlens 4 blowouts and 3 separations. and nothing bur grief from the dealers. RV tires are Truck Tires Some people like to think they are getting some special deal on a tire made for a motor home. I think that is just a reason to ask a stupid high price for something they think rich guys will spend money on. I have even used Trailer tires with no issues. If they have a bunch of nylon compound they will be flat for a while after sitting. So don't go for tires with nylon. Here is a a tire I have used for about 25 years. Some will call it an off brand but in fact they are made in the USA by Cooper. Check it out. They ride fine are ease to balance and best of all they don't kill your pocket book. here is one site that has good deals, but there are many dealers all over the US.
https://simpletire.com/hercules-275-70r22.5-59979-tires
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:11 AM   #55

Went to Les Schwab to purchase 6 new tires last year. Compared the Toya and the cheaper Double Coin brand. Told the salesman that I find myself on rather rough roads, gravel crushed rock etc. He then recommended the Double Coin truck tires due to their harder tread. He said the Toya tires would ride better due to having softer tread rubber.
In practice I did not detect a harsher ride with the Double Coins, they felt the same as any other tire that has been on the mh. I actually do wear my tires out as opposed to aging out.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:17 AM   #56

RV Tire or Truck Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
You need to do some checking on that thought. One of the only manufacturer defects they can't weasel out of. Do need to present the tire carcass asap for claim. The Michelin dealer could not find any evidence of road hazard damage, believe me he tried. But the rusted steel cords were there for all to see. After three failures, even the tire shop said get rid of them. All less than three yrs old at time. I think weight load has a lot to do with XRV tires. The lighter rig folks don't seem to have the same problems as 40+ footer coach has. Just my thinking.

I picked up an air hose at a Flying J pump island and as always, pressed the valve first. Water shot out. The manager knew about it and was not particularly concerned. Could account for your rust. Now I only use my own compressor to fill the tires.

I bought six Toyo M177's a year and about 8,000 miles ago. No complaints, but have to agree with others that they do have more of an organic barnyard smell than the typical tire smell at Costco. You would think organics would cost twice as much.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote