Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2016, 06:09 PM   #1

RV Tire or Truck Tire

Had a talk with my tire guy and he listed some tire brands and prices.
For me it came down to $545 for an rv tire or $390 for a truck tire.
I deal with him for the company truck that I drive so it feels like im talking to someone I can trust. I asked if I pick the $390 tire am I cheaping out and he said no they are good tires and that the only difference between rv and truck tires is that rv tires are a bit softer. He basically reccomended the truck tire. Why pay more.

Thoughts?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Brand of RV Tire?

Brand of Truck Tire?

What size are we talking about?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

I installed truck tires on a mini-motorhome once, never again. After being parked, especially in cold weather you bounce down the road until the tires round out. The ride is not as smooth. I would spend the additional money and buy RV tires.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #4

The rv tire is goodyear $ 545
Truck tire is bf goodrich $ 390
Size = 255/70 R 22.5
Old 11-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought an RV for my wife and I to enjoy when it just became time to replace all the tires I bought Michelin XRV the same that came on it. Everybody has to make the choice that best fits them I did not choose to go backwards.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:09 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Other than the XRV tire, every 22.5 tire Michelin makes can be a truck. After three side wall zipper tear blowouts (of which Michelin covered 1st one as under two yrs). After third one (at 23k miles) I said enough is enough. Tire shop recommended XZA2. When they were swamping them out, the tire mgr said "pick up one of your old tires, now pick up the new one...Wow big difference in wt. Rode them for 65k till traded coach. The XRV's may ride slightly better, but I prefer peace of mind...just sayn

Edit: Didn't mention the XRV's sidewall tears were do to rusted steel cords. The side wall thickness of the truck tire is twice that of the RV tire.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #7

It's time for me to replace my MH tires (Goodyear) soon. I will buy Sailun truck tires for several reasons, They are commonly used on semi-tractor steer axle, they are built for severe use, and they are very reasonably priced.
I ran Sailun S637 tires on our 5er without a single tire problem whatsoever, including our Alaska trip.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I bought an RV for my wife and I to enjoy when it just became time to replace all the tires I bought Michelin XRV the same that came on it. Everybody has to make the choice that best fits them I did not choose to go backwards.

We can afford the Goodyear but I need to hear why its considered to be better suited for rvs. Our coach doesnt have air suspension so I certainly do not want a rougher ride if thats the factor. The tire guy says the cheaper tire is totally adequate. Is he wrong? Is it going backwards?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:16 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I only replied from the point of view the XRV was designed for RV use with supposedly a softer ride, their are many that will not use a Michelin or Good Year for that matter. I'm not in a position to suggest what would be best for your use.

I personally would not use the Goodyear from what I have read and seen with their rivering problem. I've been dealing with tires since 1960 and there are many good ones to choose from.

My reference to going backwards was towards using a tire designed for a truck rather than an RV, truck tires are designed for many different uses, long haul, local delivery, off road, steer, drive, trailer position and a few others.

When I still had my big trucks I opted for Michelin or Bridgestone for steers and Bridgestone snow tires for the drives.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:41 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only RV specific tires I am aware are the Michelin XRV and Goodyear 670. One thing that makes them RV specific is a casing compound that supposedly is to last longer with less deterioration from sunlight exposure. This to lengthen the service life years as RV tires typically age out before they wear out. If you search here you will find many people using tires other than these two RV specific tires - truck tires.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 04:30 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Michelin makes a number of tires for RV use besides the XRV model.

View the list on page two of the brochure below.

Michelin RV Tire Brochure

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 05:50 AM   #12

Our current and original tires are goodyear. The only rv tires at this particular tire shop are goodyear. After talking to the tire guy I was leaning towards the cheaper bf goodrich truck tires but now after reading just a few of your comments I am leaning towards the more expensive goodyear rv tires.

I appreciate the feedback
Old 11-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Our current and original tires are goodyear. The only rv tires at this particular tire shop are goodyear. After talking to the tire guy I was leaning towards the cheaper bf goodrich truck tires but now after reading just a few of your comments I am leaning towards the more expensive goodyear rv tires.

I appreciate the feedback

There are only two R/V specific tires. The Goodyear G670 and the Michelin XRV. Both have had issues. The Goodyears are prone to uneven tread wear and the Michelin has a history of "zipper failure" blowouts. All tires in these 22.5" sizes were engineered as truck tires. The two RV tires have perhaps had a couple of adjustments with RV service in mind. If you look for a truck tire marketed as an all position, long haul or regional service tire, then it will check the boxes important to you. I am completely unconvinced that the tire contributes to a harsh ride. If you weigh your coach and inflate your tires to carry the load you actually have then you should be golden. The tire shops like to blow them up to the max and send you on your way.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:13 AM   #14
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
Had a talk with my tire guy and he listed some tire brands and prices.
For me it came down to $545 for an rv tire or $390 for a truck tire.
I deal with him for the company truck that I drive so it feels like im talking to someone I can trust. I asked if I pick the $390 tire am I cheaping out and he said no they are good tires and that the only difference between rv and truck tires is that rv tires are a bit softer. He basically reccomended the truck tire. Why pay more.

Thoughts?
Supposedly, one difference between truck tires and RV tires is a more flexible sidewall on the RV tire for a smoother ride (this may be the reason for a lighter weight and for more zipper failures for RV tires). One reason truck tires have heavier sidewalls to better resist curb-banging.

Another difference between truck tires and RV tires is RV tires have more UV inhibitors because RV tires tend to spend a lot of time sitting in one place either in storage or at a campground. Flexing of tires when they're rolling helps UV inhibitors migrate to the surface where they can do their job.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote