Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
RV Tires

I have a 2002 Winnabego Journey with 63k miles on it. My Dunlop tires have a date of 2003 on them but have plenty of tread and no signs of cracking. Should I have the tires replaced just because the age of them or are they ok? Thanks,
lwestbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on how risk-adverse you are. Those tires might last another two years, or one (or more) might fail tomorrow. And if one fails, it may damage the body or nearby wiring or plumbing.

The tire manufacturers say to dismount the tires and inspect inside as well as outside, since no all problems are visible as cracks or blisters. But if you are going to pay for that, you may as well get new tires mounted.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Want some late night reading? Do a search on this topic. Lots of opinions. Most believe that 7 to 10 years is max. Think about blow-outs, personal injury, damage to the coach. Their are wires and plumbing around the rear tire wells that can be damaged from a blowout.
Now want some more reading? do a search on the different brands of tires on this forum. Everyone has an opinion.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #4

They needed to be replaced if you're going any further than the end of your driveway. ..my personal rule is every 5 years, regardless of mileage. And you will be told by others on here that I am wrong, that I don't know what I'm talking about, etc.Take from it what you will. I will not be taking part in this discussion beyond this posting just for that reason. Good luck to you !
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

Your RV tires are nothing to trifle with. REPLACE them now. I just had a blowout on an inner dual and ruptured a hot water line, flooding the coach with hot water ( forgot to turn off the pump). 😱$700 and a new tire later, plus replacing the other tire. 3 year old tires with less than 15k on them. My situation was different though. Faulty valve stem. I'm not comparing apple to apples really. Just food for thought on damage potential.
Put79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
OK, Thanks. It looks like, at 9 years old, its time to replace the tires whether they are worn or not. Any preference on tire brand?
Old 08-03-2012, 08:55 AM   #7

Conventional wisdom based on anecdotal evidence from your RV brethren states that six years is about the maximum to expect from RV tires (not ST tires). I became a believer after I tried to get more than six years from Michelin tires on a Class A. After two blowouts within three months, I bought all new ones.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Michelin has been the only blow out's I have had in over 41 years of RV ownership.
2 of them was less then 6 years old. No more Michelin's for me.
One was a inside rear and a right front. No chassis or house damage from either one.

Now have Goodyear G670 that are at 7 years old. No cracks or problems.
Going for 10 years with them.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Michelin says to start having them checked by a dealer after 5 years and if still good absolutely replace them at 10.
I replaced ours at about 8½ years and had no trouble with them. But I knew their history. I check pressure daily when traveling and before every trip out.
Never had a blow out on a Michelin in over 55 years of RV'ing. The only blow out I've ever had was a GoodYear on a '97 Jeep GC. In fact I've only had two flats ever on Michelins and that was on tires with 60,000 miles on them and we got into some screws while setting up for a show.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Michelin has been the only blow out's I have had in over 41 years of RV ownership.
2 of them was less then 6 years old. No more Michelin's for me.
One was a inside rear and a right front. No chassis or house damage from either one.

Now have Goodyear G670 that are at 7 years old. No cracks or problems.
Going for 10 years with them.
I am with you. My only blowouts were also michelin. (5) I ran my Goodyears 10 years and no problems.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
RV Tires

OK, let me ask a stupid question. Where can you by RV tires from and have them installed? Don't guess you can just run up to Discount Tire or NTB....
Old 08-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwestbro View Post
OK, let me ask a stupid question. Where can you by RV tires from and have them installed? Don't guess you can just run up to Discount Tire or NTB....
Most Les Schwab Stores, or google for Truck Tire Shops in your area. I use Les Schwab and Phelps Tires and very happy with both. My experance is Discount Tire can and will order tires for you, but will not mount them.

Regardless of where you get the tires, check the date and do not accept them if more then 6 months old as you have just lost all that time before your again aging out.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not sure what your tire size is, but here is what I recently did:
In Feb. 2012 we bought a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. The date code told me that the tires were original, so I had to buy new tires.
I went for a 'truck' tire ....up one grade in rating and gave me a stronger tire, etc. Yes, I am told that the ride will be a little rougher, but who can tell?
Bought a Cooper tire, Roadmaster RM's.
Had all 6 replaced, all balanced, old tires kept by installer, all for a total of $1989.00 out the door.
Drove from Fla. to Pa. with no problems.
Tire pressure: Front - 105 lbs, Back - 100 lbs.
After some discussions with other Class A owners and truck guys, I went with a 'truck' tire and am satisfied with this decision, so far.

I think that RV tires are inflated in price for obvious reasons.
I was able to deal and get a respectable price on these tires.

I know, this is an area of consideraple opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Here is a copy of a recent reply that was posted in one of the RV Forums:

Hi,
There is a lot of discussion on tire aging and when to replace them. I resurrected this from a post I made a couple of years ago on another board. I've expanded it slightly to reflect questions that came up as a result, but its basically a duplicate of that post.

I've read a number of recent threads on tire aging, types, etc, and thought I'd put in my $0.02 worth. I should note that I've been designing critical fabric-reinforced elastomer parts (not tires) for about 25 years. I don't have an argument with most opinions I've seen, just wish to clarify and provide some general information.
Failure Mechanisms: There are basically two ways a rubber part fails; through aging and fatigue. These are separate mechanisms, but interrelated.
Aging: With time and temperature, elastomers age from the time the curative is added to the mix. The rate of aging, for a given compound is a function of temperature; generally doubling for each 16 deg. F increase in temperature. The consequence of aging for most elastomers (natural rubber is an exception) is that the elastomer gets harder (technically - it has a marching modulus). Eventually, you'd get bakelite. Well before that you get cracking
Fatigue: When an elastomer (or laminate) is bent, it incurs some damage due to the strain imposed. A high degree of bending (run low or flat) fatigues at an exponentially higher rate (basic rate * strain is accelerated by a power between 3 and 5). Engineers will recognize a variant of Minor's law.
Other Factors: Elastomers in general don't like ozone or UV and both of these tend to accelerate hardening and cracking. Modern compounds are very much improved in these areas.
Implications: Keep your tires cool - tires in Maine. should last longer than in Florida.; all else being equal. Properly inflated tires (not under-inflated will last longer). Slight over-inflation may extend life; but my butt is too delicate to consider this option.
??Park with UV shields (covers): less important! Covers may be helpful as long as they don't prevent air circulation and prematurely age the tires.
???Use nitrogen or dry air: - this has no benefit I can see until interior cracks appear (and it's too late by then) - then it might be more benign than oxygen or water within the laminate. Eventually, any of these will result in delamination (blowout).

The biggest benefits will come from proper inflation and avoiding extreme temperatures.

Note: We typically rate critical parts for 5-7 years service; but these are usually significantly over-designed. The FAA has picked six years for elastomer aircraft parts and my tires will get replaced on that schedule.

I hope some find this helpful.

Ernie
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:46 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't want to get into your wallet but for piece of mind I think they should be replaced. You may want to have them dismounted and looked at but they are still pushing ten years old soon. You'll probably have to find a truck service center to get them mounted. Luckily we have a Belle Tire truck facility near us and they took care of our new tires. I doubt Discount Tire will touch a tire that size at least they won't here in our area. Good Luck.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires