Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2020, 02:39 PM   #1

RV Upholstery

what uphoistery problems should i be aware of when purchasing a used motorhome
alan tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #2

If I was purchasing an RV today I would not buy one with carpet. It takes a lot of work to keep it clean and that is even with us removing our shoes at the door. We also constantly brush and wipe down our pup Cody before he enters the RV. If you plan to travel with any pets or children this may be something you should consider.

Tee Gigi & Cody
ggags58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:44 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Degrading bonded leather. It will peel off the backing.
Old 11-18-2020, 04:25 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree about the carpeting. Removing and replacing it is no where near as easy as the videos on YouTube make it appear.
hohokam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:26 PM   #5

Boy! do I agree with Hohokum. Doing flooring in MH is way more work than doing a room in the house. Much more cutting and fitting in MH.
gmc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:41 AM   #6

Captain chairs are very expensive to re-upholster.

As for the living room, don't bother. Take it out (which is easier said than done) and replace it with regular furniture. I redid my old rig with Ikea, turned out pretty dope.

Once you have the furniture out, it's easy to replace the floor with laminate. You can do the walls and window coverings while you're at it.

Bedroom would be more of a project, gotta disassemble the bed frame. Also, I wouldn't be eager to tackle countertops and cabinetry. But I wouldn't hesitate to ditch the living room furniture.
TampaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:15 AM   #7

Replacing furniture is probably the way to go, especially since FlexSteel no longer makes RV furniture.
RV Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #8

Be aware that many rv\trailer mfrs used a simulated leather product called Austin Halo which is known to peel after time. If you can find a rig that has Ultra Leather it is much better covering.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Lifer View Post
Replacing furniture is probably the way to go, especially since FlexSteel no longer makes RV furniture.
This is true, but the wonderful Ms. Lisa Bauer now has her own shop and has access to the Flexsteel patterns, so I'm told on another thread.

Mike in Colorado
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
This is true, but the wonderful Ms. Lisa Bauer now has her own shop and has access to the Flexsteel patterns, so I'm told on another thread.

Mike in Colorado

I just purchased a FlexSteel Extenda Flex couch for our DP remodel; I was referred to Bauers for documentation by FlexSteel; hopefully they'll have what I need.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:39 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While in Yuma last winter I came across an Upholsterer.. Recovered window valances. couch, bed headboard and dining chairs. I also replaced all window coverings.. Not overly $$$ and great updates..
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote