Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2017, 06:07 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Vehicle Insurance vs Roadside Assistance

RV and vehicle insurance policies have a towing and roadside assistance clause. They seem to provide towing to the nearest service center or will change your tire which is the same service that coachnet, goodsam, or others have. I have Progressive with roadside assist within the policy and it seems to cover mechanical and flat tire problems. Why would I need additional roadside coverage? Am I missing something? I just don't want to buy duplicate services but also want to be sure I have what I may need. Not sure if I need more than regular policy or not. Anyone else out here with just your vehicle policy? 🤔 Why not?
Tom Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 06:10 AM   #2

yes, we just use the coverage on our SAFECO policy, no need to duplicate services

unless,

you want to separate your emergency needs from your insurance needs, but that's only if you think that these type of coverage claims would impact your future insurance premiums
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #3

I had to use Progressive's RSA once and they were great. Now I have RSA provided by Ford for the first 3 years. Some services may offer some additional options but I'm using what I have and will decide what to do at the end of the three years.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 07:22 AM   #4

Companies that offer Roadside Assistance plans often times specialize in just that. They have 24 hour operators who do nothing else. If I call them, they know what I need. Most times, no money changes hands for you to pay for the service. Insurance companies specialize in, well, insurance. After hours operators may not be trained for Roadside Assistance. Sometimes you are expected to find the service, and file for reimbursement later, paying whoever comes out up front.

In addition, some insurance companies will cover the tow vehicle, but not a trailer if you are pulling one. USAA will cover the tow vehicle as well as the trailer, but from personal experience, I was towing a gooseneck, and they had a heck of a time getting someone to tow it. Tow truck operator finally ended up using a fifth wheel adapter, and towed VERY carefully the 15 miles to a storage facility (who USAA contacted and got to stay open late until we could get there and put our household goods into a locked storage yard). Truck was towed to a Ford Dealership and later totaled.

We have both towing with our insurance, as well as Good Sam for Roadside Assistance. We've used both. Good Sam was okay for the tire change on our TT, they arrive crazy fast, and changed out the tire for our spare, back on the road in less than an hour, but it was near Tampa, on the interstate, so a heavily traveled area. With the gooseneck, it was on I-40 near Statesboro, took about four hours to get everything straightened out, but still worked out. I guess you just need to pick your own personal poison!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:23 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
I was just looking at this myself. I have Coach-Net $149, Tire Shield for 5 years, Winnebago RS for the 1st year free, and also Ford Roadside Assistance free for the first 5 years or 60k miles. Ford actually use's Coach-net for larger "medium to heavy trucks" in all states but CA and MA, where they use Safe Driver Motor Club (?)
However, My bigger concern is they only take your vehicle to a Ford Dealer! What if your issue is related to the coach? I don't know, maybe something like a Slide-out issue that might prevent the coach to run?
Ford RS will only take you to a "qualified repair facility", which I translate to a Winnebago repair facility for RV related issues. (Maybe this won't happen?)

I'm all for Saving $$$ to spend elsewhere, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something here?

As a side note, I was being "pressured" to also purchase a 5 year Extended Warranties for around $4,500 when I purchased. This also included another Road Side Assistance as well as Chassis and Coach warranties. After looking at what Winnebago covers for the First Year, Ford for 3 Years... I was paying for 5 years but in reality getting a lot less! Even the generator has a 3 year warranty and the Jacks and AC are 2 years. My opinion is these policies are being sold to us buyers by purposely omitting to give us all the facts? You don't find out about the other coverage until after you purchase and start reading all the information. Buyer beware? Or Class Action suit having people paying for things they already have?
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #6

We've always used our vehicle insurance policy to add on roadside assistance. Insurance companies have 24-hour service and they use the same tow trucks anyone else uses. CoachNet doesn't have their own fleet of tow trucks! The truck comes from the nearest town.

When we planned our first Alaska trip, instead of taking our 40' motorhome we bought a used older truck and small 5th wheel. We drove into Death Valley on our way and the truck blew it's engine. We called our insurance company and immediately two tow trucks came from Lone Pine, CA - one for our truck and one for our 5th wheel. The towing company said he makes the run into Death Valley almost daily as he's the closest one around. We were towed 75 miles and they placed our 5th wheel in a RV park while our truck was being worked on during a week's time. There was no payment up front and no towing charge for us afterward. We got a free week in the RV park and a free loaner of a car. Our basic vehicle insurance policy came through with no problems. That was Progressive at the time.

As it turned out a engine (V-10)from a state trooper's vehicle was located in a junkyard miles away. Our truck was repaired by the towing company's repair facility within a week's time. We then drove back to our starting point in Arizona; unloaded the 5th wheel and repacked the motorhome. We put the truck & 5th wheel on a consignment lot and took off for a very successful all-summer trip to Alaska. We should have taken our motorhome in the first place! During the first month away we got a call that the truck and 5th wheel was sold.... a happy ending.

A Roadside service rider from your vehicle insurance company works well!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems they all say "qualified repair facility" , the regular vehicle policy, coachnet, good Sam, etc. They get to decide and if you want a different location or repair facility you pay the difference in cost. They all provide same service. So other than your own good experience or referral from someone who has had a good experience you get to choose and hope for the best. Not knowing who is going to be good or if they will really perform, is that why we choose to have multiple roadside assist policies? We cannot trust the policy we bought? That sucks. My RV vehicle insurance says I have roadside assist, I sure hope I do if I need it. Maybe I should buy another policy to be sure? 😱
Old 01-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
We've always used our vehicle insurance policy to add on roadside assistance.

A Roadside service rider from your vehicle insurance company works well!

Well I like this answer so I'm going to just rely on my RV policy as they did and forego additional rs policies. I hope I don't regret this decision. 😳
Old 01-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Just make sure that is a real RV roadside service. Some insurers just refer all their policy holders to the same service, which may not have clue how to deal with a big motorhome or trailer. Also, make sure it is an "assist" and not just towing coverage. If you breakdown on the road, you want a dispatching service that will find help for you, not just pay the bill afterwards.

Quite a few policies offer services equivalent to Coach-Net, GS, etc., but make sure yours is one of them before dropping other coverage.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:20 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My roadside assist is with Progressive Insurance since USAA no longer covers Motorhome. I read the policy and it looks to be the real deal. Those of you who also have Progressive Insurance what is your thoughts on their roadside assist. Real deal?
Old 01-16-2017, 09:11 PM   #11
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Well, if by "real deal" you mean that it's specifically an RV ERS, then yes. As I linked in response to your post in that other thread, here's at least the summary:

Progressive RV Roadside Assistance

Also mentioned was the RV ERS provided by my carrier, Blue Sky with its "Blue Sky RV Motor Club" that summarizes benefits attached below. I went with it after having Coach-Net for over a decade as I only used Coach-Net once for a minor issue and didn't want to pay their exorbitant price increase with their new structuring. $52/year for the Blue Sky RV Motor Club gives me what I need.

Like all "insurance," we have to weigh the premium against the benefits and the risk we have to use them. And pertaining to towing to the "nearest" facility, if I want the tow driver to tow it elsewhere, I'll pay extra. So far, I haven't needed a tow. *knock on wood*
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blue Sky RV Motor Club benefits.pdf (1.36 MB, 15 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:39 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Well, if by "real deal" you mean that it's specifically an RV ERS, then yes. As I linked in response to your post in that other thread, here's at least the summary:

Progressive RV Roadside Assistance

Also mentioned was the RV ERS provided by my carrier, Blue Sky with its "Blue Sky RV Motor Club" that summarizes benefits attached below. I went with it after having Coach-Net for over a decade as I only used Coach-Net once for a minor issue and didn't want to pay their exorbitant price increase with their new structuring. $52/year for the Blue Sky RV Motor Club gives me what I need.

Like all "insurance," we have to weigh the premium against the benefits and the risk we have to use them. And pertaining to towing to the "nearest" facility, if I want the tow driver to tow it elsewhere, I'll pay extra. So far, I haven't needed a tow. *knock on wood*
Concerning Progressive, it states will tow to nearest repair facility, does that mean for a flat tire they will not change it out. Example if I have a spare will they put it on right there, or do I have to be towed to a service place and then it will be installed, if the later, it would seem that way would be a lot more time
Old 01-16-2017, 09:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Concerning Progressive, it states will tow to nearest repair facility, does that mean for a flat tire they will not change it out. Example if I have a spare will they put it on right there, or do I have to be towed to a service place and then it will be installed, if the later, it would seem that way would be a lot more time
They'll fix a flat without towing you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Kind of hard to tow you to the nearest repair facility if you have a flat tire. It's not the engine in the coach that has a problem, it's the tire.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance