Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2020, 01:32 PM   #1

RV with issues

As it happens, the RV we bought is a bit of a lemon. It's our first RV and we did try to do our due diligence. Everything felt solid, all the systems seemed to work just fine when we bought it, no smell of mustiness or anything that would indicate water damage, etc.
  • For different reasons each time, our generator has crapped out on each trip. Once is was the tensioner pulley, once it was the radiator hoses leaking onto the high temp cut-off switch causing it to shut off, now it's the high temp cutoff switch itself. I think my replacing that will finally fix that, but it's been annoying and expensive.
  • The chassis AC didn't really work all that well. Found out the vacuum line had been disconnected. Hooked that back up and it blows out properly, but now needs to be recharged because it won't blow cool enough air on a hot day.
  • As bad as both of those are, the one that worries me is it developed a bit of a leak on the roof around a vent. I used some Eternabond to try and seal that (had worked in the past) but this one still leaks a bit. When I took off the interior bezel to see the substructure, I can see some of the wood is rotten. Specifically, the 2x4s and the ceiling panels around the cut-out. In looking at it, my assumption is that I'll need to repair the rotted wood.
  • Just for fun, the awning motor decided to give up the ghost, too. Replacement is $450 or so.

Prior to finding the water damage, we had decided to sell this one and get something else where the floorplan better suited our lifestyle and plans. The downside here is that the NADA value on it seems to have dropped dramatically in the year that we bought it - so we're underwater. On top of that, we've now got this repair. At the low end of things, this appears to involve replacing the fan itself (probably a few hundred) and maybe I'll get lucky and the roof itself isn't rotted, so the substructure and ceiling panels are all that's needed. Doing those will involve dropping the upper cabinets and then hoping I can get similar material so the repairs aren't obvious.

All that to say, not sure on the general next steps here. If we try to sell it with what we know, it seems we're going to have to write a large check to do so. If we go to repair it, we're going to have to put in a fair amount (really a bit worried that we need to put a new roof on it and I've no idea how much that might cost) of work and money, knowing we won't get that back out when we do sell - but maybe it'll cost less than the check we'd have to write otherwise.

We've considered doing an interior refurbishment and just keeping it for a few years to get some of our money out of it, so that's on the table.

Would love to get some thoughts from folks who've been in a similar situation, ideas on where I could get the ceiling fabric, etc. Anything the community knows that could help us get the info we need to make a decision.
ronaprhys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #2

Every trade will have additional costs and other unknown problems. You know what problems you have with this motor home; therefore, if you are handy with tools, I would keep and fix this one.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #3

You didn't mention manufacturer, year and model of motor home.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #4

What are we talking about here? Manufacturer, Model, year, mileage, etc.

With that info you will get better advice.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:18 AM   #5

07 Gulf Stream Bounty Hunter. Low mileage (in the low 30k range)
Old 09-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
Every trade will have additional costs and other unknown problems. You know what problems you have with this motor home; therefore, if you are handy with tools, I would keep and fix this one.
Part of me thinks we're going to be forced into that option - but given that we know significantly more now than we knew when we bought it, what we'd like to be able to do with the RV itself (maybe full time for a bit - working from the road) and the toys we like to bring along with us make it less than optimal. Our "perfect" RV would be a diesel pusher towing a trailer (which we already own) that has our Jeep JLUR and our two motorcycles on it. That's means something that'll tow 10K. This one is only rated at 5K right now. Not sure if it's got the ability to be upgraded or not as I've not looked into it yet.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:46 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If it is a deciding factor then know that you can reinforce the towinq equipment and tires to carry an extra load but you can't change the axle rating. I would accept the published rating or consider it a deal breaker and take the loss and move on.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #8

If you can afford the loss, trade it in.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #9

Even though the items seem a lot they really are not. We bought our RV 03 Gulf Stream DP with only 40K. Turns out the previous owner lied about what was wrong with the motor, CAT 330HP. After 6 weeks we had to spend 20K on a motor. That was 7 years ago and all is okay. Okay because we have a house we driving down the road. Stuff is going to break and you just have to know it's not if, but when something is going to break. As mrboyer says if your handy fix it since you know what the issues are
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #10

For an 07 I would think repair bills would be expected. Always good to at least have a PDI prior to purchasing
Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUB1988 View Post
Even though the items seem a lot they really are not...... As mrboyer says if your handy fix it since you know what the issues are
Agree 100%

Seem minor to me.
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #12

Welcome to the world of RVing.

Sounds like typical RV issues. Nothing major there.
They all have issues.
A belt broken, a coolant leak. A/C issues.
Sorry but I don't see a major problem. Annoying, yes. However the rest of the unit is good. Stay with it.
Good luck.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:50 AM   #13

There is an epoxy that is used for rotted boat transoms that I have heard great things about. Can't recall the name and i have never used it. I have seen the end results and it really works well.
rwhite1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:55 AM   #14

All old vehicles need constant maintenance... I wouldn’t say you bought a lemon...

Owners of expensive used coaches seem to pay to zero a coach out and replace all rubber/etc to restore to near new...

But they spend $40,000 plus...

I just bought my class A and it was cherry, but knew I would need to still do lots of work...

Replacing the belts, tensioners, many rubber lines, resealing, oil, filters, major service, etc...

Despite the last owner spending $50,000 in repairs, maintenance over last 13 years, still tons to do... if you want a reliable vehicle...

Tensioners were shot, belts getting old, needs tires, etc, etc, etc...

Found air leaks, AC low and clutch weak

If you buy a 10-20 year old RV... you have to expect that. I love old cars. If they break no biggie, I drive home. An RV might be 2000 miles from home... you gotta stay on top of preventative maintenance...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote