Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #1

Rv'ing in extreme cold

I purchased my 2000 coachman sports coach 5 months ago for my year long tour
We have run into the problem of extreme cold. About 3 weeks ago once in Wyoming we began having temps below zero pretty much every day all day.

We have not had water in these past3 weeks as the lines and or the tank is frozen
We boon dock 5 nights a week and rv parks on weekends however the water has been off at the parks due to the cold as well.

The other issue is the main cabin of the rv never gets warm enough to be comfortable. With the furnace running 24/7 it rarely gets above 55 in the bus.
We have 2 small space he ters that we use with the generator on or when plugged in. They help big time!

But still tons of cold air seems to flow in and with them running all night the cabin gets comfy but never hot.

So what do u do about water freezing and keeping the rv warm.

Oh we have kept the water heater on in hopes of the hot water not freezing and it's my understanding this bus sends some heat below to the water tank. Yet we have no running water.

Thx
Sam.
illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry to tell you, but that is not a cold weather coach.

Best thing to do is to head south and get it thawed out and repair any busted water lines.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #3

Heading south is not an option. We have lots more shows to perform from Wisconsin to pa and north of there. It won't be till February that we begin to head to Maryland and the like.

I knew it was not a cold weather coach but even a cold weather one would freeze up with these temps.

Yes hoping we can get thawed out soon

Sam
illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Be careful running the water heater without water flowing in the lines. It can run dry and perhaps wreck the water heater. Only operate a water heater when you are sure the tank is full and water moving.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:14 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If it were me in your position
I'd move into a campground full time
It's got to be cheaper than running the gen set
Get another heater from Walmart and run it directly from the outside pedestal
You need to be comfortable. I dont think it's getting any warmer anytime soon
You need to get the inside temps up
Open cupboards etc to see if you can thaw the lines
Make sure your water pump is off
If it's not destroyed and you have a thaw you may flood the coach thru a broken pipe
Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #6

I'm in Cheyenne and feel your pain. We are staying at the KOA Kampground and are hooked up all the time.

I had my hot water lines freeze last week when that nasty cold spell came through. I got it thawed out by doing these things:

- House gas furnances turned up to 75+ for 3 days
- Put a big portable electric heater in the basement to supplement the ducted furnace heat down there.
- Put a small electric heater in the utility compartment to keep the greay & black water valves and fresh water inlet from freezing.
- Opened up any panel or cabinet where I could access/see the water pipes.
- Turned on the ceiling fan in the bedroom to move warm air around.
- Opened up my bedroom closet doors (back wall over engine) to let air circulate in there.

The kicker was finding where it was frozen. I studied my piping schematics and ended up pulling the floor of the closet up. The pipes were frozen under that plywood panel. I placed a small electric heater in there and directed the air flow down the hole where the pipes run vertically.

It took about 18 hours after that to get water flowing again. I was fortunate that no pipes burst or leak.

Try some of my ideas and you may get lucky.
sctdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
You could find some inside heated storage place put it in there for a few days and stay in a motel till it thaws. Then do some of the auxillary heating suggestions.
Good Luck
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry to tell you, but that is not a cold weather coach.
Kind of new to Rving, so what is considered a "Cold Weather Coach"?
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:46 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryN514 View Post
Kind of new to Rving, so what is considered a "Cold Weather Coach"?
A cold weather coach has insulated, heated wet bay area. Plumbing is routed through heated spaces, and it probably has double pane windows and extra insulation in walls, floor, and overhead. Extras would include Aqua-hot heating system with heat exchangers through out the coach.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Bob, guess I got a cold weather coach.
BarryN514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:00 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
JMO here I have been working inside our old MH,the last month or so. I start out first turning the furnace on then the electric heater and the days it was -10 I started the MH maybe 45 minutes and it got hot in there so I would shut her down, with in 10 minutes I was down to my tshirt. I don't have any basement heat but I am not using any facilities. I work in there around 5-6 hours.
I would look for a year round resort. I know there is the one north of the cities that has year round sites including shower/restrooms.Do they have them there? It must be terrible with no water. Have you bought any water jugs until you can get them unfrozen?
I like the idea about getting it in somewhere warm. Maybe a station that your rig will fit in will offer you to let it sit over night or a weekend? pricey but so are busted pipes.
Good luck and keep us informed.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving