Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Thank you
Most of America does not understand the dynamics in play. What is going on in this country is a first, this has never happened before..

https://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/...is-my-landlord
EyezOpen is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 03:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by*marjoa*
Residents complain as streets fill with vehicles serving as homes for people who can’t afford rent.

Oh boy there goes the neighborhood and our reputation as FTers.*

I see lots of new laws in our near future.

So yeah I'll respond to your reply to me...JUST ONCE!

WOW rod....chill out dude. Take your medication. People are so sensitive these days.

We have no "picture" and no neighborhood. We are retired and are FTer's. Personally, I'm a Purple Heart Veteran and a man of BIG faith and have helped countless folks in my lifetime who have needed help if I was able. BTW...what have you done for your country lately sir? We travel all around the country and are in a different neighborhood every couple of weeks. Did you bother to look at our signature sir?

I never said anything about derelicts or any of your other stereotyping, PERSCECUTING, hateful comments or bashing the poor. WOW unbelievable.

I merely posted an article that I ran across as a sign of what some people are doing to survive and to have some sort of housing alternative. And because when trends like this start happening, these new trending groups of folks, sometimes enter into established neighborhoods and therefore usually drive down property values of people who have worked their whole lives for what they have and in addition cause other community strains and stresses. Hence my comment, "there goes the neighborhood". AND...when herds of people start doing this, it usually drives local & state gov'ts to pass laws that usually affect us all...like FTers that were doing this 24/7/365 as a way of living way before this trend even started.

No bashing the poor here...you know nothing about me or my wife or what we have done in our lives. Your should be ashamed of yourself making these kinds of imaginary accusations about someone you know nothing about. You need to rid yourself of your preconceived ideas and the chip on your shoulder that you obviously have. I actually feel sorry for you.

But please...just stay focused on the original post—which is—a lot of people are going to RV living, infiltrating cities and putting strains on neighborhoods and it COULD affect everyone that owns a RV by additional laws and regulations.

Peace man.
You edited this comment after I posted my question about it. I can tell because it now appears after the question, not before, and the content is significantly different from when I made my response. Then you bailed on your own topic -- only gonna make the one reply (another part of the rewrite). Changing what you said and quitting isn't how to walk back an argument.

To refocus you on the original post -- It's not some "picture" you don't have that needs explanation, it's the picture you shared in the OP that does. Tinkering with the context after the fact doesn't change the part where you didn't respond

The following is strictly my opinion:

I think that referring to populations of people as "herds" is bashing. You're equating them to animals.

I think calling the phenomenon an "infiltration" is bashing. Enemies infiltrate -- sneak among the innocent intending evil.

I think characterizing the poor as " filling the streets with vehicles serving as homes . . . bringing down property values . . . COULD affect .. .." is bashing. It's the classic "They're after our stuff" myth.

I certainly do not think that the gravity of the article -- basically a fluff piece regurgitating attractive talking points from last year's news -- approaches the conclusions of the OP and much of the ensuing bashfest.

I think setting the tone for the discussion by saying "Oh boy there goes the neighborhood and our reputation as FTers." is asking the choir to line up and sing. As they have.

And I think playing the veteran card while questioning my patriotism in this context is simply shabby. An an inordinate number of the people I'm defending from your effort to make everything great again are your brothers in arms.

I appreciate the folks who have tried to point out that there aren't absolutes in this issue. I think reasonable people recognize that there is a spectrum of reasons and stories behind the unfortunates we see around us. I think those reasonable people need to stand up for the folks who aren't doing so well. The man of BIG faith said that we'd have the poor with us always, and that we should show them some compassion. It is not written: "Verily, I say unto thee, there goeth the neighborhood!"

And my final word on it, since the OP isn't coming back: The simplified view on my phone doesn't show signatures and avatars, so I didn't see marjoa's signature until I got to a real computer tonight. But I could have guessed it.

$0.02
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #31

I grew up poor, dad worked 2 jobs until he died in a steel mill and mom worked while kids in school. We moved to where a decent home was affordable twice. I started working to help at 14. Those struggling I understand but the addicts and lazy I don’t. Show you are working and I’ll even help, the others could be in a ditch for all I care. Let the flames begin!
Old 03-05-2020, 07:54 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Motorhomes for homeless

I live south of Portland, Oregon. One of the many west coast sanctuary cities. Unfortunately I have to work in that sewer. Besides the whole city smelling of urine and having to avoid stepping on syringes when you walk down the sidewalks, Portland has an abundance of homeless campers in tents and motorhomes. The motorhomes conveniently park so their sewer drain is right over a storm drain. Some just dump it when it’s full, but I have seen others just leave the valve open all the time. Since they are a sanctuary city, they don’t deport anyone, nor have the motorhomes towed. No towing company will touch them because they will have to pay to get the motorhomes out of their lot. The city has tried to help them with shelters, but they can’t do their drugs in the shelters, so they just stay on the streets. Most don’t want the help. I have lived in Oregon my whole life, but as soon as my wife can retire, we are outa this sanctuary state! It has drastically changed for the worse in the past few years. Not to get political, but with the party in power in the west coast states, all of this is expected.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:01 PM   #33

"thrive in the lifestyle" ..... I think you got sold a bill of goods, people. You don't sell a million RVs a year for over a decade and expect a place to park them all do you? ;-)

If so, I have a bridge to sell you as well .....
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #34

This problem has been building for many years. People wanted rent control. So they got it and guess what, no new apartments being built and some being turned into expensive condos. Then low or no growth laws. No or little new housing being built. Then rent control on mobile home parks so one park owner sells to another for a big profit and is allowed to increase the rent. Seen this done every few years until the city stepped in. The original rent control caused no new mobile home parks to be built. Now new apartments being built with $4,600 per month rent for two bedroom. Squeeze on new housing to limit growth causes housing to go through the roof. My 1,535 sq ft home is now $980.000.00. Supply and demand. Build many and prices will go down so long as the supply will be slightly more than the demand. Don't come close to the demand, well were living with the result.

For the mentally ill, the american psychiatric association went to the supreme court to push rights for the mentally ill. The court ruled for the mentally ill with the recommendation of the american psychiatric association. The court ruled that unless the mentally ill agree, they cannot be forced to get help. We have reaped what our society has sown.

This is not a political statement. It is what has happened and is happening.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #35

Goodness!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
I live south of Portland, Oregon. One of the many west coast sanctuary cities. Unfortunately I have to work in that sewer. Besides the whole city smelling of urine and having to avoid stepping on syringes when you walk down the sidewalks, Portland has an abundance of homeless campers in tents and motorhomes. The motorhomes conveniently park so their sewer drain is right over a storm drain. Some just dump it when it’s full, but I have seen others just leave the valve open all the time. Since they are a sanctuary city, they don’t deport anyone, nor have the motorhomes towed. No towing company will touch them because they will have to pay to get the motorhomes out of their lot. The city has tried to help them with shelters, but they can’t do their drugs in the shelters, so they just stay on the streets. Most don’t want the help. I have lived in Oregon my whole life, but as soon as my wife can retire, we are outa this sanctuary state! It has drastically changed for the worse in the past few years. Not to get political, but with the party in power in the west coast states, all of this is expected.
The type of empathy you express? Your seeming inability to appreciate... WWJD? Striking!
Bosko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:28 PM   #36

As a Full Timer, since the end of 2012, one who has traveled extensively, boondocking & staying in parks, I can testify that my "world" has been impacted by the growth of the RV lifestyle.

Currently in a KOA within my home city. Seeing this park, which was mostly empty in the winter, now mostly full. Allowing the ownership to increase rent, by a large percentage, multiple times the past couple years.

Me? Earned the opportunity to absorb the increased cost to stay here. It's those who have come clear across the country, mostly young, I worry for. A high percentage being our American youth, who have figured out. If they can just get into a rig that can make the trip, they too can reach for the American dream. Taking advantage of the much lower cost to live in this park, against what stick built rentals cost here. Taking advantage of the many new jobs that have come to this community.

Across the country, it's abundantly clear, our "Great Economy", doesn't work anywhere near as well for those with little, as it does for those, like me, with means. And for those who shout... Get a job. Get a BETTER job! You simply have not seen, what I do, daily.

Yes, they absolutely come into the park, in rigs that look like crap. Yet, somehow they managed to get one to begin with. More importantly, I see them leave a 5 AM, not returning until after 7 PM. To me anyway, doing EXACTLY what we expect of all American workers. Bust your rear, until life gets better.

Problem is, the supply of these workers, against the demand, causes their pay to effectively KEEP them from achieving... Better. With too few park sites here currently available, allowing the price increases the park is taking advantage of, these "kids" are getting squeezed.

Have absolutely nothing to offer as an answer. But ask that you consider this... But for the grace of God, you too might be fighting to survive, as too many today do. Not nearly a religious man, but my path sure takes into consideration... WWJD. And you? Do you truly carry empathy in your heart. Sure hope so!
Bosko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:31 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko123 View Post
As a Full Timer, since the end of 2012, one who has traveled extensively, boondocking & staying in parks, I can testify that my "world" has been impacted by the growth of the RV lifestyle.

Currently in a KOA within my home city. Seeing this park, which was mostly empty in the winter, now mostly full. Allowing the ownership to increase rent, by a large percentage, multiple times the past couple years.

Me? Earned the opportunity to absorb the increased cost to stay here. It's those who have come clear across the country, mostly young, I worry for. A high percentage being our American youth, who have figured out. If they can just get into a rig that can make the trip, they too can reach for the American dream. Taking advantage of the much lower cost to live in this park, against what stick built rentals cost here. Taking advantage of the many new jobs that have come to this community.

Across the country, it's abundantly clear, our "Great Economy", doesn't work anywhere near as well for those with little, as it does for those, like me, with means. And for those who shout... Get a job. Get a BETTER job! You simply have not seen, what I do, daily.

Yes, they absolutely come into the park, in rigs that look like crap. Yet, somehow they managed to get one to begin with. More importantly, I see them leave a 5 AM, not returning until after 7 PM. To me anyway, doing EXACTLY what we expect of all American workers. Bust your rear, until life gets better.

Problem is, the supply of these workers, against the demand, causes their pay to effectively KEEP them from achieving... Better. With too few park sites here currently available, allowing the price increases the park is taking advantage of, these "kids" are getting squeezed.

Have absolutely nothing to offer as an answer. But ask that you consider this... But for the grace of God, you too might be fighting to survive, as too many today do. Not nearly a religious man, but my path sure takes into consideration... WWJD. And you? Do you truly carry empathy in your heart. Sure hope so!
Well said.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:04 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Folks at the top of the food chain are doing great these days with the folks at the bottom scraping for the crumbs. I have to admit I was never that aware of how big a problem it has become until I retired and began volunteering monthly at a local food bank a few years ago. I meet people working two jobs paying off a 7 year car loan while sharing a two bedroom apartment among 4 people and they still can’t get ahead. Forget health care....
I realize this is rather common, the part I have trouble with is, some carry a $600+ cell-phone in the food bank line. Many years ago I would help out at the governemnt-operated food distribution center in our county. One woman would be there every month.She drove up in a late-model Cadillac.
Or the man pan-handling last summer. I got a chance to talk with him after he left the street corner. He said he was getting about $300/day at that particular corner.
That IMO exacerbates the problem for those who truly need help.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Thompson View Post
Ummmmm.......
Sanctuary city by definition..
a city whose municipal laws tend to protect undocumented immigrants from deportation or prosecution, despite federal immigration law....
Your way off here..deport people...to another town? I see many groups in the rvs..and know what your describing. I dont like it either.

But, I live in Portland...and work downtown...it does not smell like urine and needles all over the place. Yes some areas have issues. I work next to big pink. Near Chinatown. Lots of homeless issues ...sure. but a urine soaked needle ridden sewer. Go work somewhere else then. The city has issues...what city has none. But nowhere what your describing. The city works hard to keep it clean and they do a relatively good job.
Bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
I served in local government as an elected official so to say the explanation of the problem would be a long story is an understatement. However the key in these stories about RV is the lack of affordable land to place RV’s. In most of the areas this is a problem there is also lack of RV storage and parks that was once available. In our area we lost a few storage yards and close to 900 spaces. These all cause people to store them in their driveways and front lawns. Because the no parking on the street due to folks camping. Another story printed in a local paper was the rise of RV slum loads making good money renting those RVs out for $25 and up per day knowing they will not get towed due to the liability of the tow company being stuck with a worthless RV. We have a few folks living in very nice RVs in our city and they move every 3-4 days in a predictable circuit. In other cities I have driven through I can see long lines of RVs parked bumper to bumper in mostly industrial areas. A lot of our issues stems from so little houses after all the fires.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:42 PM   #41

The lack of land is indeed an issue. I read recently where there is a fleet of mobile homes (not motor homes) in storage at Fisher Mills on Seattle's Harbor Island. I can't find that link right now, but the upshot was that there was housing for about 80 people that can't be used because the City has no land to put them on.

As early as 2016, folks in the Puget Sound (seattle-ish) area were raising alarms about the low-end mobile/RV home parks closing or selling out and having their rents raised past people's ability to pay. This pushed a LOT of older RVs onto the curb. Seattle responded by pledging some millions to building two RV-suitable homeless camps (and a tent camp.) Obviously, the effort hasn't been enough.

An interesting aside is that I can locate some of that Harbor Island fleet now in South Seattle (White Center) acting as quarantine units. They found the land to park them on for the virus crisis response, but not for the homeless crisis response. I'll be watching to see if they remain afterward.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #42

Lookout! Here we go on another blind effort by elected morons to pass Ordinances and fines to keep people from setting up living in their campers anywhere... and in doing so it will encompass all of us that park our rigs in the drive, beside the house, on your property, or on the street getting ready to leave on a trip in a day.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs