Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
SAD, SAD, News today

I was stuck in traffic for 5 hours Saturday trying to get to CW of Nashville for
some service on my MH.

When I got back home last night learned what had happened, and why Interstate 65 was shut down. A Nashville police officer was killed by a motor home. I think there is a allot of lessons that can be learned from this story.

RIP Officer Petrina, my thoughts a prayers go out to your family .

Here is a link to the story :
Metro officer killed while directing traffic on I-65 near Brentw - WKRN News 2
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Sounds like the MH had nothing to do with the situation.. His stupidity could/would have killed someone had he been in a Volkswagon!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:19 AM   #3
Community Moderator

when far away seeing the TDOT truck at road side, couldn't he slow down albeit unable to change lane?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:23 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
How sad I don't know how I could handle this. Prayers to his family.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:26 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP summed it up; a sad sad day. There will be an investigation and arrest or charges made if warranted. Until that is done I intend just to mourn the loss of life and not speculate. But for the grace of God.....................
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #6

Tragic indeed! Such a young man. You can tell he was raised well and had a heart of gold! Service before self.....prayers to the families, officers, and all those involved.

New to MH driving, beside slowing down what are some other lessons that can be learned? In all seriousness, many of you have faced similar situations--any advice to share???
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Prayers to the family and to all those involved in this sad situation.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:14 AM   #8

SAD, SAD, News today

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
when far away seeing the TDOT truck at road side, couldn't he slow down albeit unable to change lane?

The key words in your post are "...when far away..."

I am constantly amazed to watch people drive the highways where it is obvious that they are looking about two car lengths in front of them. They don't see construction signs, they don't see traffic ahead until it comes within their 2-car range of vision and are generally very unaware of the traffic situation around them. I saw the best example of this a couple of years ago when I watched a woman in a Jeep Cherokee smash right into the big flashing arrow sign at the merge point in a construction zone. There were signs along the road for TWO MILES prior to the merge point telling drivers that the left lane was closed ahead and to merge right. She missed them all and ultimately destroyed the flashing electric arrow sign.

At any given moment on the road, I know what's in front of me to the limit of my vision ahead, what's behind me, what the lane situation is and what my coach is doing. I "scan" the road ahead, both mirrors and the dash gauges in a regular scan pattern to stay aware of what my on-road situation is. It comes from my background in instrument flying, where a regular scan of the instruments is absolutely necessary to maintain control of the aircraft.

Driving a big motor home cannot be a passive activity. You cannot just sit in the seat and zone out with the cruise control on as you watch the highway disappear under the coach. Driving a motor home must be an ACTIVE effort, where 100% of your attention is devoted to driving.

Somehow I don't think the driver of this motor home was paying attention.

Rich & Linda
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #9

I'm at a loss for words! He was way to young . Thoughts and Prayers for his family members. RIP.
2NewRVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #10

I agree with Rich-N-Linda, most driver appear to be unable to see through their windshield. I B.C.,Canada, it is the law that all vehicles, slow to 35 mph and/or change lanes, when approaching a Police car or Tow truck, on the highway. In the city it's 20 mph.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:09 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is tragic for sure. The news report leaves out a LOT of details... like the speed of the MH, the positioning of the other two vehicles, and the sight line of the road immediately preceding the accident point.

The photos appear that the event occurred in a curve, with line of sight through the trees, then loss of sight, then back into sight, and combined with an exit ramp. I could see how this could turn out bad. I travel in the right lane a lot, and a situation can produce in front of you that you didn't really understand how it was going down. Did the MH slow? Did the MH creep through the cars? Did he just bust ass through there? Did he get caught off guard, and become confused by the situation...afraid of the brakes? it's all a terrible event regardless. Sounds like a very tragic combination of factors happening rapidly, and my heart to everyone involved. Tragic on all sides.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For many years I was trained on the "Smith System of Defensive Driving". We went thru the training each and every year.

I don't remember all of it but a few of the things I practice to this day.

1. Aim High in Steering
Look 15 seconds into your future. (Don’t just look at the vehicle in front of you)

2. Get the Big Picture
Look for Hazards. (Other Motorists, Pedestrians, Vehicle doors opening)

3. Keep Your Eyes Moving
Don’t stare. (Use your peripheral vision)(Stop the fixed habit stare)

4. Leave Yourself an Out
Monitor the space cushion around you.

5. Make sure They See You
Use your signals- (Directionals, 4-Way Flashers, Head Lights, Brake Lights, Horn, Hand Signals) Make Eye Contact.

A great set of driving rules, especially when driving a big vehicle.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
4. Leave Yourself an Out
Monitor the space cushion around you.
That's a luxury I seem to rarely have when cruising along the interstate in the right hand lane doing 60mph. The only out I seem to have is the shoulder. I usually get stuck driving when the roads are pretty busy.
Old 05-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwell View Post
That's a luxury I seem to rarely have when cruising along the interstate in the right hand lane doing 60mph. The only out I seem to have is the shoulder. I usually get stuck driving when the roads are pretty busy.
When someone jumps into my front space cushion I just slow down and create a new one. It is harder to keep them from tailgating but I try.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote