Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2023, 08:29 PM   #1

Safe T Plus Steering

Hi all, Got a '15 Winnebago Forza 34T, doing our first long cross country trip in June. Thinking of getting this system, looks to be about $700 plus install. Pretty sure I can do the install myself, looking to see who else has this system, and what the results have been. Who did their own install? I do my own Oil changes, fuel filters, and most general maintenance so, I'm pretty sure this shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Thoughts?
Forza Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2023, 11:02 PM   #2

I have the Saf T Plus on my RV, but it was installed before I picked it up when purchased new. I am happy with it and have never had any issues with steering. It should help with steering and it is supposed to really be of assistance if you have a tire blowout. At least that is what I was told and I'm sure it would help in that situation, but I hope I never find out.
It does look very easy to install.
Thanks
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:08 PM   #3
Cat

Hardest is making sure the steering is straight ahead when you lock it down. Its not hard just need to get perfectly straight ahead. Other wise it will center in the wrong position. Take your time no problem.. Safe Travels
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:35 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed the Safe-T-Plus myself. This is fairly straight forward if you have any mechanical skills and the tools.

Watching utube videos first was a help as the instructions on the package were not real clear but even Safe-T-Plus' own install video (link at the bottom of their web page) was lacking.
Here is what I did differently and would recommend: First find a straight and level road (like center lane on a freeway) and mark the steering wheel position against the dash where the coach tracks straight. Then when installing the Safe-T-Plus to the tie rod, have a helper keep the steering wheel aligned to that mark. Worked the first time for me with no additional adjustments needed. All the utube videos I've seen have that step backward, mount first and then adjust.

Breaking the old nuts loose was about the only challenge. I had to use a pipe wrench with my foot to aid as my DeWalt 20V Max impact wrench alone was not enough. Having a helper with muscle on that would help.
I used something like 2-3' foot long 6x6 lumber under the front axle as I did not trust jack stands for that.
Old 01-31-2023, 06:06 AM   #5

safe-t plus

I did my own install and it was not that difficult. I agree with getting the steering centered before. Check with Shock warehouse for best price.
jkroboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:07 AM   #6

Great input. Thanks! The Shock Warehouse suggestion was great, looks like about a $200 savings! Will align be4 I start wrenching!
Old 01-31-2023, 10:43 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I did the install myself as well. Not a big deal. Just takes a couple adjustments to get it right. Easy to install. My blood pressure started to boil when I had found I was missing my Catalytic converter. Some low life stole it. I would love to find out who stole it.
Ledawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:44 AM   #8

As others have said, installation is not difficult for the mechanically inclined. Also, getting it perfectly centered is key. Took me 3 adjustments to get it right. Drive it at highway speed to see if it’s pulling/drifting in either direction, pull over on an exit and adjust the bracket the opposote direction. Keep in mind that you’re only adjusting the bracket slightly, about the width of a credit card. My last adjustment was even less when it had a very slow drift. When done, it tracked perfectly centered.

Couple of other tips. If you currently drift, you may want to get an alignment first. Also, when you adjust the bracket, turn the steering wheel to the 11:00 (or 1:00) in the opposite direction to help move the bracket. Don’t loosen the bracket too much, but just enough to nudge it slightly.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:00 AM   #9

I have installed it DIY on our rig. Love it. Wouldn't be without it. Not difficult but there are some tips and tricks to get it right.

mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 11:32 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I installed one on our rig after driving it for 3 years. No big noticable change in driving, but some peace of mind it I ever get a blow-out. I do keep my steer tires for only 7-8 years, but you never know if you happen to hit something on the road.

As far as aligning it, I used a piece of masking tape at 12:00 on the steering wheel to mark the straight ahead position.

Consider it just another form of insurance, but you only pay once and you're covered for as long as you have the rig.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:29 PM   #11

Hello. I just had the Safe-T-Plus installed in early November at the HQ in Tallapoosa, GA and it was a great experience. You can stay on their premises night before or after and they get you right in. Their garage and office space is amazing and treating me like a VIP and the install is free if you purchase it and get it done at their HQ in GA.
Tantsits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 08:28 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had it installed on my '15 Forza 34T at the end of '16. Made a noticeable difference in steering and stability. Did have to take it back to get it aligned correctly so that the steering wheel looked straight. I installed it myself on a smaller gasser previously and had no issues, but decided to have it professionally done due to the size and weight of the Forza.

Good luck with your installation!
Old 02-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #13

Great stuff, I'll be getting one this winter and will do the install at our storage yard. Thanks for the input......We are in CA, so it would be a long trip to go to their factory cross country!
Old 02-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #14

Props for the product. I had it installed during other work. One thing to note is my place ordered a bunch of different brackets to ensure they got the right one, and just returned the others.

Very happy with the results.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering