Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2017, 10:48 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I have a Safe T Plus it was on there when I bought it, so I can't compare what was like without it. I will say my 37' coach is manageable when being passed by a approaching 18 wheeler from behind. Manageable not perfect only driving experience and being aware of what's coming up along side you is what really helps IMO. With that being said looking at the Safe T Plus it's only a dampening looking device and I can't see how it would make much difference in a tire failure, that's just me. I don't notice any steering resistance from it either while driving.

While it looks like just a dampening device inside it has two springs that help hold the the wheel centered thus helping in a blowout or passing tractor trailer
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Safe T Plus steering control any downside?

Ok well good to know how it dampens the movement.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:05 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
I think that it is an older model. It was already installed on the 2006 Winnebago Sightseer we purchased this last March. I suspect the solenoid may be out as I've already eliminated loss of power source and faulty switch. I have read that the earlier solenoids were prone to failure if energized for too long, and I therefore limited my power applications to 10 seconds or less.

That's my hope too - and a major reason why I've not dedicated more time troubleshooting the problem.

I guess that I should drop a line to the Blue Ox folks and see if the solenoid is even an end user replaceable item. It couldn't be that much of a challenge.

The older ones had a problem with the solenoid burning out if the button was held for to long. The fix by blue Ox was to add a timer to time it out if held to long.
I only press mine for one of two seconds. I also use a foot switch.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #46

The original poster mentions "downside", but one has to be careful to stick to the science of it, and then offer one's opinion. The science of it is that most of these steering accessories incorporate springs in order to favor a pre-selected null. This means that it uses spring pressure for the purpose of helping the driver maintain a pre-selected steering position.
In normal conditions, on a straight road, the rolling resistance and tire/road friciton is equal (right and left tire). But, when a front tire suddenly fails, this rolling resistance and friction become unequal. And, for the purpose of maintaining control, the driver has to immediately turn the steering wheel, against the pressure of one of the springs in the add-on steering accessory. IMO this is a "downside".
Therefore, it's up to the purchaser to decide which is more important.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:09 PM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It’s great. Smoothed out the steering and it’s a comfort in case of a blowout
markarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #48

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an old bounder on the GM P32 chassis. It had a SteerSafe spring centering device on it when I bought it. Steering was pretty poor even with the device.

I just did an internet search for objective testing of SteerSafe and Safe-T-Plus. I found plenty of opinions but not one single test that actually measured any changes in steering effort, centering or anything else.

In my opinion, at speed proper setting of caster will exert much more force to center the wheel than the springs.

So I guess my opinion is as good as anyone else's! These devices only make you feel better...they don't really help.

What does help...proper tire pressure, good shock absorbers, adequately sized sway bars and where applicable track bars.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:20 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
In another post on Safe T + I expressed some dissatisfaction with having one over the 88K miles I drove without one on the same chassis. Yes, under ideal conditions it seemed fine but when needing to hold off center (strong crosswinds) it took more constant force making for a tiring day, unlike what I was used to.

Finally found a spot where I could safely get underneath to remove without blocking the rig up. Unlike my previous TRW steering box this one wants to self center mimicking what the SafeTPlus does and Comfort Drive but without being able to adjust the center point. Bottom line, I would not waste my money on one you cannot adjust on the fly if putting on a DP.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
steering