Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2017, 05:31 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Important step in Safe-T-Plus installation instructions:

NOTE: IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE UNIT BE MOUNTED ON INSIDE OF ANCHOR BRACKET AND THAT STEP #4 BE FOLLOWED IN THE ORDER AS LISTED IN THESE INSTRUCTIONS FOR PROPER INSTALLATION TO BE ACHIEVED.

Step 5. Check to be sure installed unit clears all other parts of vehicle by turning steering wheel to both extreme right and left positions. If unit scrapes or binds at any point, review these instructions and make necessary corrections by rotating unit on Tie Rod to obtain necessary clearance.

*NOTE: A 3⁄4” SPACER MAY BE NEEDED FOR FUEL TANK CLERANCE *
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2017, 10:44 AM   #30
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"chirodad"......The instructions you quote are there to make sure you don't mount the unit in a position to strike another component. It has nothing to do with the push/pull pressure. Aired up or aired down, your chassis doesn't change. the body just drops.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You're exactly right. The chassis does not change. However, the relationship between the tie rod and fuel tank does. If, as in my case, you forget to put the spacer in then the STP will contact the bottom edge of the fuel tank which in turn would effect the push/pull pressure.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:45 PM   #32

If the front of the motorhome is loaded properly(close to its design limit) then it would have sufficient castor authority potential to justify trying a higher castor angle adjustment. That's what I would try before spending money on this type of accessory.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Get a Blue Ox tru center. Adjustable on the fly for wind/road crown
When it works......

Ours is on the fritz again. I will be troubleshooting it this weekend.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
When it works......

Ours is on the fritz again. I will be troubleshooting it this weekend.
Do you have a older model?
If it's not working I guess it would be just like having a
Safe T Plus
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:45 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyJoeJ View Post
Just ordered a Safe T Plus steering control for my 2011 Monaco Diplomat and wondered if anyone noticed any problems after installation. What about maneuverability in tight spaces? Anyone notice if the steering control fights you when making full lock turns. Our coach handles decent but looking forward to the benefits I have been reading about.
I was talking to a friend who has a 45' Monaco Executive. He installed an STP on my recommendation last May. While going across WY about 6 weeks ago, he had the right front tire blow out while going 65mph (it was a Goodyear RV tire less than 4 years old). He had absolutely no trouble controlling the coach and was able to safely bring it to the side of the road. He said his insurance agent thanked him for controlling the coach and not rolling it. The agent had just recently had another similar claim where the coach was rolled and a total loss.

A good recommendation for the STP.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #36
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"super rep"......You're exactly what I mean when I say these things give people a sense of FALSE security. Please show us a detailed report by the Highway Patrol and engineers showing that the Safe-T-Plus had anything to do with how the coach handled in a run flat situation. Yes, it's a silly demand, but EVERY run flat is different. Again, road crown, speed, driving straight or on a turn, what lane was he in, what type of run flat, immediate or slow and so on.

It's like me telling everyone I'm getting 18 mpg on my diesel pusher by using a fuel additive, only to find out that I was driving downhill for 25 miles with the wind at my back. Just an example of too many variables.

I actually think your account of your friend's experience is dangerous to others. People will install a Safe-T-Plus and then count on it to save them during a run flat, versus practicing other safety measures such as two hands on the wheel, mentally practicing accelerating momentarily during a run flat, etc.

Every time there is a story of a blow out, people start running out and buying gear they don't need. As an example.....many are buying the Tyron run flat tire savers for a "bunch" of money, not knowing how they work. They don't prevent blow outs, all they do is prevent the tire from coming off the rim no matter how far you drive with the tire flat. They were designed primarily for military use where you can't always stop and change a tire immediately.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"super rep"......You're exactly what I mean when I say these things give people a sense of FALSE security. Please show us a detailed report by the Highway Patrol and engineers showing that the Safe-T-Plus had anything to do with how the coach handled in a run flat situation. Yes, it's a silly demand, but EVERY run flat is different. Again, road crown, speed, driving straight or on a turn, what lane was he in, what type of run flat, immediate or slow and so on.

It's like me telling everyone I'm getting 18 mpg on my diesel pusher by using a fuel additive, only to find out that I was driving downhill for 25 miles with the wind at my back. Just an example of too many variables.

I actually think your account of your friend's experience is dangerous to others. People will install a Safe-T-Plus and then count on it to save them during a run flat, versus practicing other safety measures such as two hands on the wheel, mentally practicing accelerating momentarily during a run flat, etc.

Every time there is a story of a blow out, people start running out and buying gear they don't need. As an example.....many are buying the Tyron run flat tire savers for a "bunch" of money, not knowing how they work. They don't prevent blow outs, all they do is prevent the tire from coming off the rim no matter how far you drive with the tire flat. They were designed primarily for military use where you can't always stop and change a tire immediately.
From your flame, I can only assume that you have never taken the trouble to investigate the actual videos and information on the STP site. End of rebutal.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #38

For the purpose of experiencing excellent directional-control characteristics under normal conditions, I'm going to choose exactly what I drive.
However, in event of a front-tire blowout, what I would like to have is a steering system which would INSTANTLY sense the blown front tire, and THEN instantly take over the steering of the motorhome such that it will stay in my lane. (nobody offers this system, yet).
In other words, it's up to me to do the "instantly" stuff. Wish me luck.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:40 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
As an example.....many are buying the Tyron run flat tire savers for a "bunch" of money, not knowing how they work. They don't prevent blow outs, all they do is prevent the tire from coming off the rim no matter how far you drive with the tire flat. They were designed primarily for military use where you can't always stop and change a tire immediately.
How much does it cost for each steering tire for the Tyron tech on 22.5"?

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As I have followed this discussion to date there appears to be two issues. One is objective and revolves around getting the Safety-T-Plus properly installed. The other is more subjective and concerns the STP's performance, especially as a safety device. As in, will it actually perform (i.e. tire blowout) as advertised.
Personally, the only thing I considered when making my decision to install a Safety-T-Plus on my current coach was primarily for steering stabilization (truck sway, crosswind, etc.) while traveling down the highway. Therefore, I would consider it a bonus if, as promoted, it helped in any way controlling my coach in the event of a tire blowout. I would be foolish to put my full faith in that aspect.
The way I look at it is this.....It makes no difference what, or how many different kinds of safety features you put on a vehicle because ultimately you're driving that vehicle. When I'm behind the wheel it's, "Stay alert - Stay alive"!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #41

Quote:
Do you have a older model?
I think that it is an older model. It was already installed on the 2006 Winnebago Sightseer we purchased this last March. I suspect the solenoid may be out as I've already eliminated loss of power source and faulty switch. I have read that the earlier solenoids were prone to failure if energized for too long, and I therefore limited my power applications to 10 seconds or less.

Quote:
If it's not working I guess it would be just like having a Safe T Plus
That's my hope too - and a major reason why I've not dedicated more time troubleshooting the problem.

I guess that I should drop a line to the Blue Ox folks and see if the solenoid is even an end user replaceable item. It couldn't be that much of a challenge.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:58 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I have a Safe T Plus it was on there when I bought it, so I can't compare what was like without it. I will say my 37' coach is manageable when being passed by a approaching 18 wheeler from behind. Manageable not perfect only driving experience and being aware of what's coming up along side you is what really helps IMO. With that being said looking at the Safe T Plus it's only a dampening looking device and I can't see how it would make much difference in a tire failure, that's just me. I don't notice any steering resistance from it either while driving.

Tags
steering