Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with EngineerMike. With a tag axle to share the load chances are good you'll make it. (Chances??) But....FWIW... I would have the tire shop come out and change the tire then go put the 8 new ones on. Lot less exciting than a blowout and flat on the same dually..
The tire shop might have a preference.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Air up, go slow replace all when you get there.

Second best plan there is.

First is to have someone come out and replace both rears on that side then head to the shop for new shoes which I believe you are saying is the idea.

Either way I think you make it fine. Flip a coin and proceed heads you drive tails you make a call.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck on your decision. Safe travels. Let us know how you do.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you're going to the shop to have ALL the tires replaced, your only concern is that you make it there! Who cares if you weaken the other tire? Drive slowly and you'll get there.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #19

Last spring when we took our MH out of storage, found that the RSID was flat. I figured that the best thing to do was to have a mobile service come to me to get it taken care of. The closest tire shop that could handle 22.5's was about 20 miles away. There was no way that I was going to drive it with one flat tire. Anyway they were 'too' busy to come and take care one just one tire. So I took the tire/wheel off the MH and took it to our shop. Tire was good and the reason for looseing the air was a bad(worn) extender hose.
Would I drive on just one dual NO but then I am not one of the 'lucky' ones that can get away with short cuts. For your short trip you might make it just fine but.......
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvscharfe View Post
If you're going to the shop to have ALL the tires replaced, your only concern is that you make it there! Who cares if you weaken the other tire? Drive slowly and you'll get there.
X2

Maybe some folks missed that item.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
All went well, did not get over 30mph.
8 new Michelin XZA2 energy 315's up front(no rubbing) 295's in the back.
Thanks for all the help
Happy trails
Old 07-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #22

Freightliner Owners Club
We all knew you would make the right choice. ( I think that's what we said)

Good work....
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #23
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been out of pocket so this is late, but for future problems similar to what you experiences there are some other alternatives since you mentioned you were going to replace all tires.

You could figure if it were a valve stem, nail, or whatever and see if it is repairable on the rim. For a valve stem, jack it up, pull the stem and put in another one air it up and drive the "short" distance. break the seal on the tire. If it's a nail or other item of puncture, get a plug kit but only for the short distance, air it up and go.

Or, call the tire place you are dealing with. Since you are going to be spending a lot there ask if they have an old tire of your model and could you "borrow" it. Call your roadside service, have them come out and mount the "spare" drive to the tire dealer and replace your tires and return his tire. I'm sure there are several other alternatives, but these are a few that I would do - and have done.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #24

I believe he stated that he 8 new tires waiting so there was no concern as to any damage the overloaded tires would experience. having said that has anyone ever seen a tire come apart ????They can do a ton of damage to body panels, flooring, wires, cables brake lines etc etc etc. Thats what towing insurance is for isnt it ??
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I would do it if I were replacing the remaining tire anyway. Even if it is ok when you start out, the remaining tire will be toast by the time you arrive (yes, even in just 4 miles).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kingtut View Post
All went well, did not get over 30mph.
8 new Michelin XZA2 energy 315's up front(no rubbing) 295's in the back.
Thanks for all the help
Happy trails

Now, that I'd like to see.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will damage the tire. Driving with one dually to get you off the road is a must do so you are safe. driving speed should be under 2 MPH. This is a good reason to have Coach-Net. As far as changing the tire or removing the tire I'd doubt that you have a wrench large enough to loosen the lug nuts. I think they are torqued at 450 ft lbs. for that you need a torque multiplyer. How about calling the dealer where you ordered new tires and having come out remove both dually on the flat side, take them to his shop, mount the new tires and bring them back to you and put them on the coach. then you can drive safely to the shop and get the rest installed. Blowwing 2 tires on one side may damage both rims, that would be expensive. Be safe. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #28

Quote:
I believe he stated that he 8 new tires waiting so there was no concern as to any damage the overloaded tires would experience. having said that has anyone ever seen a tire come apart ????They can do a ton of damage to body panels, flooring, wires, cables brake lines etc etc etc. Thats what towing insurance is for isnt it ??
They wont do any damage at low speeds.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote