Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Safe to use an extension cord with a ceramic heater?

My wife is concerned about one of the space heaters that I'm using since I have that one plugged into an extension cord. It's a quality extension cord, but nevertheless it is an extension cord and most if not all space heater manufacturers warn of using their heaters with extension cords.

Most cords on space heaters are rather short, and I'm guessing that's by design.
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #2

Feel the extension cord. If it is warm to the touch consider a larger gauge cord. Other than that the only other issue is reduced heat output.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Assuming your space heater is 1500w or less. As only as the extension cord is labeled 15a or higher, you are fine. But I have seen some of that in 6ft or so are for computer or Christmas lights, that shouldn't be used.

As above said, feel it while using it; if it's warm and soft, stop using it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Feel the extension cord. If it is warm to the touch consider a larger gauge cord. Other than that the only other issue is reduced heat output.
Thanks
Old 12-05-2018, 02:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Assuming your space heater is 1500w or less. As only as the extension cord is labeled 15a or higher, you are fine. But I have seen some of that in 6ft or so are for computer or Christmas lights, that shouldn't be used.

As above said, feel it while using it; if it's warm and soft, stop using it.
Thanks, I'm hoping some of these responses will put my wife's mind at ease.

We had a very large tree branch come down where we live in Denver that just missed our coach, after that I was sleeping with one eye open, so to speak. I finally convinced the RV park to cut it down, since there were obvious signs the tree was dying (hollow in many areas). I feel much better now that the tree is gone.

My wife said to me the other night that the space heater with the extension cord was her "tree".
Old 12-05-2018, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by larliebler View Post
Thanks, I'm hoping some of these responses will put my wife's mind at ease.

We had a very large tree branch come down where we live in Denver that just missed our coach, after that I was sleeping with one eye open, so to speak. I finally convinced the RV park to cut it down, since there were obvious signs the tree was dying (hollow in many areas). I feel much better now that the tree is gone.

My wife said to me the other night that the space heater with the extension cord was her "tree".

There are classes of "portable cord" designated for space heaters and other appliances that generate heat as their primary mission (toasters, waffle irons, hot plates) and those classes are used to make extension cords. A quick search of the "A" company for heater extension cords brought up too many poor choices, you might try "iron" in your search terms. You want a cord that is labeled in a way to reduce Darling Wife's anxiety. Showing it's made for the use and is U.L. Listed for that use should help.

Space heaters have shorter cords for several reasons (most of them liability related) but what the fire department really, really, really wants us to NOT do is use "power strips" with space heaters and adding an extension cord to the power strip is a big no-no, too.

If this doesn't work you might try to find a space heater with a longer cord and eliminate the extension objection.

Have fun and safe travels always.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
One other option is to re-wire it yourself with the same gage wire or heavier to the length you need, no more, no less. Just a thought.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1500 watts is 1500 watts, whether a space heater, hair dryer or water heater. That's 12.5 amps @ 120v, so you need an extension cord rated for that much amperage. That means 14 gauge wire or higher. Shorter cords with that capacity are often labeled "appliance cords", but longer ones (25 ft or more) are usually just labeled with the wire gauge size.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #9

Safe to use an extension cord with a ceramic heater?

Just a clarification on Gary’s post. By “higher” he actually means a LOWER gauge number for a HIGHER current capacity.
12 gauge wire is larger than 14 gauge.
10 gauge is larger than 12.
Etc.

Buy a good, 10 gauge extension cord and you can run any 1,500 watt device with it. Like this one...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duromax-...050A/302770085
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Traveler View Post
Just a clarification on Gary’s post. By “higher” he actually means a LOWER gauge number for a HIGHER current capacity.
12 gauge wire is larger than 14 gauge.
10 gauge is larger than 12.
Etc.

Buy a good, 10 gauge extension cord and you can run any 1,500 watt device with it. Like this one...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Duromax-...050A/302770085
I did know what he meant, but it's always good to check, and thanks for the link. I think I'll go ahead and purchase it for no reason other than peace of mind.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I looked at the link and see it's for a 50' cord, which is pretty long to use inside a motorhome. I did a little search and Home Depot also has a 25' cord. I'd want it even shorter for inside, maybe in the 10' range, you may be able to find one with a little research.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I looked at the link and see it's for a 50' cord, which is pretty long to use inside a motorhome. I did a little search and Home Depot also has a 25' cord. I'd want it even shorter for inside, maybe in the 10' range, you may be able to find one with a little research.
Yeah, 50 feet is a bit long, but I'm sure I can find a comparable one with same specs. Thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #13

My normal house warming gift when somebody buys their first house. Buy a 100 ft 12 gauge extension cord. Starting at the plug end, cut at 25 ft, and put a weather proof box/duplex outlet on the end. Cut again at 15 feet, ad plug and weather proof box/duplex outlet. Put a plug on what is left over, they got 3 cords in useful lengths...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:07 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

You can easily get "appliance" grade extension cords in lengths as short as 3 ft and wire gauges in the 14, 12, and 10 gauge sizes. 14 gauge wire will handle 1500 watts at distances up to 25 ft, so 10 gauge is really overkill on a shorter cord.

Here's a 12 gauge, 9 ft long cord at Walmart for about $10.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-C...hcpid=21309876

Or this one At Amazon (and Walmart too): 8 ft and rated for 1625 watts

https://www.amazon.com/Woods-2611-3-.../dp/B003RRWWCW
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater