Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #15

there is no such thing as a 'teaser rate' in the insurance world. It is a highly regulated business by each and every state in the nation, and no company can 'lure' you in with lower 'first year rates' just because you are a new customer. The rate is what the rate is.

If you switched from company A this year, to company B, to save money, within a few years you can check back with company A and they will then be 'lower'.... it's just the nature of the business. Check your insurance rates each year, there's NO reason not to, unless you just like complaining later.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
Like you I have been with State Farm for many years. I was looking at quotes from many companies and they all quoted at least a $500 deductible on their comprehensive coverage, most $1000. My current State Farm policy has a $0 deductible, and the other companies will not offer it at any price. So I am staying on the Farm. You may want to check your coverage for the $0 deductible comprehensive.

I too have State Farm with multiple cars, homeowners and life insurance. When I purchased my 2010 Tiffin Phaeton I did contact several companies for quotes. SF charges me $1,037 annually and I had the option of having a zero deductible but chose $1,000. My reasoning being a scratch costs that much to repair these days so I feel I can absorb that much. Now for the pricing...... quotes from other carriers ranged from a low of nearly $2,100 to a whopping $6,781 with a major company. I was shocked at what SF charged me and figured something was wrong since they were so much lower. No, not a mistake or anything else as I've had the coach for two years and the rates have only varied a few dollars with the latest being roughly $8 cheaper.

I believe my very good rate was influenced by numerous factors:
- been with the company for 54 years
- have five vehicles insured
- homeowners insurance
- got a 10% discount on the coach for taking a RV driving course
- no claims that were my fault in 17 years but did have a non-insured collision
- whole life insurance policy since 1962 (thanks mom and dad for being farsighted)
- State Farm Bank CD investment (switching it this year as the rates are not competitive
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #17

We have Progressive through USAA and our rates went down this year, even after a claim last year to replace a storm damaged awning. The adjuster was very easy to work with, he spent about 5 minutes studying the awning tube from every angle and determined it was a fraction of an inch from perfectly straight and gave me a new one! Can't beat that, we'll be sticking with them for a while.
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #18

Try AARP it is with the Hartford Insurance group
Larwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We have had Safeco since we purchased our first MH in 2015. While driving on I-75 just north of Tipton, GA. We were in the middle lane with cars on each side of us and vehicles in front of us. Suddenly a large tire tread was coiled up in front of us with no where to go. Ran over it at 60-65 mph. Long story short it bent our driveshaft knocked the headers loose from the engine. Safeco asked for pictures and mechanics invoice. No other questions asked. They paid the bill minus our deductible. All in a timely way. I highly recommend them.
RVi 2 Auxiliary Braking System
iRent2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We've had Safeco for years on all our vehicles. They recently moved my motorcycle coverage to Liberty Mutual and my rates went up a little because they have different minimum coverage's. We've had a few claims over the years, one uninsured motorist coverage and an at fault accident. They handled the claims professionally and quickly. Our rates went up slightly after the the at fault wreck, but it totaled two vehicle and was quite expensive for the company.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #21

The bottom line after reading all of this thread is to check and compare just don't insure something for 5 or 10 years and never review your insurance.

People tend to do just that and then suddenly realize they have a problem.

Rates go up and down depending on how aggressive companies want to be with their rates.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:54 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
The bottom line after reading all of this thread is to check and compare just don't insure something for 5 or 10 years and never review your insurance.

People tend to do just that and then suddenly realize they have a problem.

Rates go up and down depending on how aggressive companies want to be with their rates.
I had been with PEMCO since 1968 for renters and then home insurance. Changed to The Hartford for home insurance and saved about $600 a year although I did drop the collectible insurance on the Hummels since they are almost worthless now.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:08 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm in the process of buying a new coach and have received many quotes from all the name brand companies. Highest was $3600, lowest 2 were Safeco at $2300 and the lowest was National General at $1750 in Ohio.
I could not believe the range of quotes.
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There was a recommendation in another thread for Overland Insurance. It seems they are an agent who only handle motorhomes. They are licensed in all states except Hawaii. Talk with them about a quote and the various Companies they represent.

Contact Us - RV Insurance Quote - Motorhome, Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel

Billfish636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks all for the excellent input. As I was certain - everyone has different experiences with different companies. Even for me it was a surprise this time when I shopped around again. I originally inquired about Safeco because they provided a very good quote in comparison to my renewal through Miller Insurance. I decided to check with Geico just for the heck of it - they have always quoted me numbers way above everyone else. This time they by far were better than everyone else and since I have been with them with my autos for over 35 years - and they have provided me excellent service and rates during that time - I decided to go with them. As always it does pay to shop and obviously shop even those companies that have not been competitive in the past - rates change.
Thanks again to everyone
madmaxx52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance