Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Safes

My motor does not have a safe installed, (at least that I can find) I was wondering if anyone has added a safe to their coach? Maybe a small (but heavy) safe, what is too heavy?

Tom

2007 Fleetwood Providence 40X
Diesel Pusher
Tom222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2014, 12:59 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I see just about all the newer higher end Coach's come with a safe installed or maybe a option. My thoughts on a safe is that is has to be to heavy and to big to carry to be of any good, the interior of my Coach is my "safe", if it broken into, the biggest damage is already been done........., now the find your safe, mounted in wood work........battery operated sawall, and your safe is gone. For me, not much cash on hand at any time, credit card for every thing. hiding spots are the best, a couple of different locations also is good as not to put "all your apples in one basket" Just my thoughts on your question........
Old 04-11-2014, 01:16 PM   #3

A small safe can always be bolted in to any RV. Considering the construction of an RV, I suggest stealth ranks over strength for this project. Use the search window at the top of the page for previous discussions on rv safes.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:53 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Just sold my 2013 Cornerstone and have a 2015 Cornerstone on order. Both have a built-in safe, but to me it is almost worthless. I'm not so interested in saving all of my "gold and diamonds" (that's a joke) as I am protecting papers from fire if such a horrible thing should happen. Normally I carry a small fire-proof box, and will in the new coach, just to store important papers. If I were to add a new safe it would be fire rated...
Old 04-11-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

I read somewhere that one of the safest places for papers is in the freezer section of your fridge. It's very well insulated and already a very cold spot so it will be the last place to get hot enough to burn papers. I guess that makes sense. I have also heard that you can sometimes protect a few papers by putting them in the middle of a thick book and then clamping it shut tight. Not sure why that works? Maybe just an Internet legend.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Not an actual safe, but we installed a small, locking gun cabinet -- was sturdy enough, light enough, had thick enough metal, and was easy to bolt into the MH for us. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
I read somewhere that one of the safest places for papers is in the freezer section of your fridge. It's very well insulated and already a very cold spot so it will be the last place to get hot enough to burn papers. I guess that makes sense. I have also heard that you can sometimes protect a few papers by putting them in the middle of a thick book and then clamping it shut tight. Not sure why that works? Maybe just an Internet legend.
I don't think I would trust the freezer since a lot of the fires are caused by the refrigerators.

As far as the money in a book reminded me of an old bar game.

The bet would be that you can't burn a hole in a flat portion of a $1 bill (or larger bill) if it is stretched around your bare skin. If you can you get to keep the bill.

We don't carry too many valuables with us but what we do carry is in a bag close to the door so we can grab it in case of an emergency.

If we were full timing I would probably rig up a clean sewer hose to store our valuables.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:04 PM   #8

A safe in an RV that is under the bed or in a closet is not "safe".

Secured your safe well, did you? Not for those that know how to take them.

There are places more obscure, not obvious.

Look hard. It is there.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We caught this one on sale at Harbor Freight and bolted it to the floor in our closet.Electronic Digital Safe
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:17 PM   #10

I like Jon's Idea using a new sewer hose!! Clever!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
We caught this one on sale at Harbor Freight and bolted it to the floor in our closet.Electronic Digital Safe

We have the same or similar screwed down with lag bolts in a closet. No it won't prevent a real hard guy from removing it and running with it but it will make it difficult and hopefully prevents the quick enter and exit guy from getting the passports or couple of hundred bucks that might be in there - better than nothing in my humble opinion. There are methods of hiding things in the freezer, behind wall plates, in soda cans, etc and the are all better than nothing.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
We have the same or similar screwed down with lag bolts in a closet. No it won't prevent a real hard guy from removing it and running with it but it will make it difficult and hopefully prevents the quick enter and exit guy from getting the passports or couple of hundred bucks that might be in there - better than nothing in my humble opinion. There are methods of hiding things in the freezer, behind wall plates, in soda cans, etc and the are all better than nothing.
No match for 15 seconds with a sawsall
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 PM   #13

I put a safe in our RV. A safe doesn't have to be heavy to keep it secure. I took the bed apart and added a safe under the bed. When the bed was apart I added 2X4s behind the flimsy plywood so that I would have something solid to bolt the safe to.

I'm sure if someone wanted to steal the safe they could rip it out of the RV but it will take some tools and some time. For their effort, most of the time, they will get important documents. Important to us, not them.

Safe travels.

JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:28 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
No match for 15 seconds with a sawsall
True, but walking thru a campground carrying a safe should draw a lot of attention.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote