Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2020, 12:44 AM   #1

Safety Issue - Propane Lines

In working on the fuel system, (2000 Safari Continental, CAT 3126B) which involved replacing the fuel lines (2 lines 90 ft in total) I discovered a serious potentially life threatening issue with the propane lines on my coach. The lines were original and therefore 20 years old. This presentation shows the failures and may serve to alert others of a potential problem.

https://safaritoonces.org/safety/safety-propane-lines/
blewis9991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Is that the original flex line? It looks like standard air line with the replaceable ends. Stratoflex single braid, cotton covered. They have been used for at least 50 years in the trucking industry.

This is the one at 2:20 in your video. Not a propane line. Just wondering.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like you dodged a bullet on that one!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the information. I would go to a propane distrubutor and show/ask if there is a better hose that can be used in this applacation.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #5

Safety - Propane line

I acquired this motorhome in July 2017 so I do not know if the line was original or not. The other two lines appear to be the same material but I haven't pulled them off yet.

However what I have found on this RV is the original workmanship and quality was excellent but over it's lifetime the machine was entirely maintained by RV dealers or someone posing as an RV tech. The level of incompetent work is consistently mind numbing and legion. The only part that was kept up properly was the running gear because I think CAT or a truck shop did that portion. So you could be correct in that this was a line changed and the wrong type installed. To do something like that would be criminal in my mind, it would hard to conceive of someone being so stupid as to use a non certified propane line deliberately. So I am not sure what to make of it other than it seems to me good sense to check these lines and change then if they show any aging at all.

Thanks for pointing this out.
blewis9991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, safety