Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2021, 06:29 AM   #71

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
What do you mean "straight top approach"?
Same question here!

rheine3, please post some pics of your retrofit!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2021, 08:15 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
What do you mean "straight top approach"?

No wrap around duct. I will start a new thread.
rheine3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:57 PM   #73

Smile

Hi RVThere!

This year I have to do the same job.

Since you've already seen the backbone of the A/C unit, I wanted to ask you a question. In your opinion, to facilitate maintenance, would it be possible to mount the unit on sliding guides, so as to make it removable?

Obviously we must also think of a locking system, but if this is feasible, think about how much easier it would be to do ordinary maintenance.

There are guides that easily hold 264 pounds (see photo) and cost around $ 25 each.

Putting 3 or 4 would result in a very solid and practical sliding unit.

If you place the lid on hinges instead of closing it with screws, it becomes even easier to do routine maintenance.

Do you think it's possible?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Guide.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	336694  
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:05 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65 View Post
Hi RVThere!

This year I have to do the same job.

Since you've already seen the backbone of the A/C unit, I wanted to ask you a question. In your opinion, to facilitate maintenance, would it be possible to mount the unit on sliding guides, so as to make it removable?

Obviously we must also think of a locking system, but if this is feasible, think about how much easier it would be to do ordinary maintenance.

There are guides that easily hold 264 pounds (see photo) and cost around $ 25 each.

Putting 3 or 4 would result in a very solid and practical sliding unit.

If you place the lid on hinges instead of closing it with screws, it becomes even easier to do routine maintenance.

Do you think it's possible?
Not sure that would work for most basement air unit installations because there's not much room to widen the cage it fits in. There's ~1/8th inch on each side of my Coleman so that means a new rack, or metal work at the minimum, to fit the rails in. That 1/8th" is where the heads of the screws that go into the Coleman are so, zero clearance. Looking at mine just now, it looks like it would be a bear getting things to fit on the vent side too.

They don't need to be removed all that often. Really nothing to maintain for years at a time. And using a lever, isn't that hard to pull out.

Oh, sorry, I just noticed this was meant for RVThere!.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 07:17 PM   #75

No problem. It is something that could be of interest to everyone. It is true that maintenance of these units is quite rare, but at least to give them a dusting a year would not be bad.
Old 07-21-2021, 01:56 AM   #76

Freightliner Owners Club
Jim - no problem jumping in as I agree that there’s no room for side rails nor support to attach them.

Tony - I found the hardest part of removal is not sliding it out but that darn air plenum that you need to disconnect and very precisely reconnect.

You do have room and support for bottom slides however there’s so much road debris that gets kicked up those slides would be gunked up in no time. Maybe two Teflon pieces along the bottom to reduce the sliding friction??

Good luck on a big job!

Have you removed the AC yet to assess? I was surprised by how deteriorated my rear supports were!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:42 AM   #77

My A/C unit, a Coleman-Mach 6535-871, still runs like clockwork after 20 years.

For the rust, from the outside it still looks in good condition, also because over the years I have always cleaned the frame and sheet metal and treated them with a lot of rustproofing.

I hope it can go on for a few more years.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:09 AM   #78

That idea of a Teflon base could be even a better idea, because now that I think about it, with the metal guides there would be a strong increase in the vibrations of the A/C unit and this could do damage.

A nice Teflon sheet, under the unit, would act as a damper as well as protect against any splashes of water.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:20 AM   #79

Quote:
That idea of a Teflon base could be even a better idea, because now that I think about it, with the metal guides there would be a strong increase in the vibrations of the A/C unit and this could do damage.

A nice Teflon sheet, under the unit, would act as a damper as well as protect against any splashes of water.

I installed two HPDE strips on the bottom frame rails. I pull my table lift up to height and she slides out with less than half the force. When running I am getting almost zero vibration or noise. Just finished my top to side unit replacement BTW. All is working great.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:29 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
To facilitate getting the ac unit lowered for replacement or repairs, we used a motorcycle jack with a piece of plywood over the frames. Much less manhandling.
Kvw613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #81

Here's a link to a thread on Winnieowners.com about adapting a new basement air unit with rear return to fit a MH that requires a top return:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-361277-4.html
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
Here's a link to a thread on Winnieowners.com about adapting a new basement air unit with rear return to fit a MH that requires a top return:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-361277-4.html

Yes, that's my recent project. All done now.

Rick
Old 07-22-2021, 03:53 AM   #83

Quote:
My A/C unit, a Coleman-Mach 6535-871, still runs like clockwork after 20 years.

For the rust, from the outside it still looks in good condition, also because over the years I have always cleaned the frame and sheet metal and treated them with a lot of rustproofing.

I hope it can go on for a few more years.
Tony, not sure what maintenance you are performing, but I have a full set of new capacitors I am happy to sell you for a deal. I ended up having to buy a new unit after replacing all the capacitors didn’t fix my issue.
whitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 08:25 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitti View Post
Tony, not sure what maintenance you are performing, but I have a full set of new capacitors I am happy to sell you for a deal. I ended up having to buy a new unit after replacing all the capacitors didn’t fix my issue.
But mine still works like a clock, it just needs a good dusting.

But I might have the solution for this cases, a bottle of snake oil that solves the problem.

I sell it for only $ 100 ... look what a unique opportunity!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snake Oil Salesman.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	336924  

Tags
coleman