Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 12:25 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
Have had Equal in the front tires for the past 70,000 miles. No issues with Toyo and Bridgestone tires.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 12:41 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Equal here. Works well, IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If the OP meant real sand, I think it would be like an abrasive to the inside of the tire, so I would not recommend it. The other products mentioned, Equal and DynaBeads, have probably been tested for abrasiveness.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #18

Commercial Member

Be sure to get IN WRITING that the use of any similar product will not void your tire warranty.
Just a salesman telling its OK is NOT good enough.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #19

Had equal installed last year, ride was rough. after going back the the dealer two times they removed the equal from the front tires and spin balanced and it is much smoother. Form now on I will only spin balance.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:18 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I elected to save $15 on a set of six Hercules tires by weight balancing them. After a couple hundred miles the fronts were so out of round I had to shave them, remove the lead weights and add the beads.

But hey, I cant think of a better reason to exclaim this threads gives new meaning to "go pound sand".
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Not to be a smart a$$ but what happens when a front tire blows that has BB`s or ceramic beads or whatever in them.

Years ago I worked in a retread facility and repaired alot of truck tires. Personally I would not put anything in them but air.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:23 PM   #22

I don't want to hi jack this thread but does anyone know where you can get the filtered schreader valves I have looked all over with no luck.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:00 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
Are you talking about Dynabeads (I believe it is a ceramic bead)?

I used this in my rear tires.

I had my front tires balanced while mounted on the coach. They then added weights. Problem was is that the weights used an adhesive and were attached on the inside of the rim. Both sets got thrown off after a short while, fortunately the tires don's seem to be unbalanced.

In the future I will used the Dynabead in the front tires.
Just mix up some JB-Weld, put a dab on each end of the weights! They will stay put till your next set of tires! I did this on my semi, and never lost the stick on weights! And I had many more miles than any MH could ever think about putting on in one year! And, I never used beads or the like inside the tires! Just the spin balance and weights! Also, I had the Centramatic's on the truck and trailer! Same concept as the beads in the tires, but no tire warranty problems, no sand in the valve stems, and if I did sling a weight, the tire stayed balanced till I put another weight back on! I could have gotten by with just the centramatic's, but just old fashioned about spin balancing the tires first!
Plus, when you spin balance a tire on the truck or the machine, you can see how much weight it requires, and how true it runs for out of round!
If the tire took more than 4 ounces of weight, or was out of round, I would tell them to get another tire!
It's your money and your tires, so do what you think is right!
But in all the years I had owning my truck and trailer, I had very little tire problems and got very good wear and mileage out of each set!
Everyone has their way of doing things, these were mine!
Rail!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:57 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Question

Quote:
To each his own, but I can tell you without trepidation that my chassis manufacturer, Freightliner, says absolutely not to put anything inside the tire.
Not even air?

Seriously, I think you may have taken a statement out of context. Dynamic Balancing via Equal, Dynabeads, and similar products is a standard tire industry procedure and I don't think any chassis manufacturer disapproves. Could you cite where Freightliner says that? I found nothing like that in the Freightliner RV Chassis Maintenance Manual or the RV Chassis Operating Manual.

Some people try to use substitutes for the known and accepted brands of dynamic balancing products. Those may or may not work, or may have long term deleterious effects. I would expect Freightliner to caution against that sort of thing, simply because it is an unknown.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #25

I tried the sand 3 yrs ago, when you check the air in your tires you have to be very carful to blow air back in the tire because most places do not put the "little sand filters" in when like they say they did.. this results in sand getting caught in the seal and the tires will leak air.. I had it all taken out.. bad idea... all my tires were down to 40 psi the next week... ! this stuff is a joke..!
PeterBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #26

Maybe off topic but has anybody ever used their levelling jacks to break the tire bead from rim.
roddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddie View Post
Maybe off topic but has anybody ever used their levelling jacks to break the tire bead from rim.
No, but it sure sounds like a good idea. Could have done that a few years ago on a tractor tire if I had been smart like you.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 10:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
I don't want to hi jack this thread but does anyone know where you can get the filtered schreader valves I have looked all over with no luck.
Look here
Dyna Beads and Accessories

then scroll down about 80% of the page.

Fred

Tags
tires