Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 02:34 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Sanicon Questions

This came up in another thread but I didn't want to derail the OP's original question. My question here isn't if the system is better than just the usual 3" hose and gravity, I'll let others debate that. My question is how to actually use the system.

Our 2009 Monaco Camelot came with a Sanicon system and very vague instructions in the manual. So...if I want to use it, I assume that I attach the 3" hose pictured here(with the hose clamp on it) to my waste valve and the nasty stuff makes its way to the Sanicon system on the right, correct?

Like most, I normally leave my black tank shut until it is time to drain. I leave my gray tank open until I want to build up some water to chase out the hose after draining the black tank.

With the Sanicon system can I operate the same way? Will the gray just exit through the Sanicon system even if I don't turn on the macerator? Or can I only open and drain the tanks when I can run the macerator?

Thanks in advance.
relaxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
First off, I put a clear 90 between the y pipe and the sanicon 3" hose so I can see what the poo is going on. The macerator sound will change when the tank geos empty, but th 90 helps tell me how clean my cleanout procedure is. The 90 also relieves most of the strain of bending the sanicon 3" hose; this strain broke one of th ears off my y pipe, causing a pronounced and annoying drip.

Your black/gray tank regimen is normal, until the black tank goes empty. I shut off the sanicon, and with the mt black tank open, I open the gray, which flows into the black tank. I then close the gray and turn the sanicon on again, to remove the gray water out of the black tank, effectively rinsing the tank. With a full gray, I do this about 3 times. Then I turn on the black tank rinse system and finish rinsing the black tank. Close the black, open the gray and the last of the gray gets pumped out. I use the black tank rinser to preload the black tank with water for installation of deodorizer chems.

When hooked to sewer, I open the gray until the nite before emptying the black, at which point I close the gray and take a nice long shower.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With our Sanicon there is a grey water bypass. You're supposed to be able to leave the grey tank valve open so it drains via gravity.
I don't like using the Sanicon since it doesn't pump fast enough to keep the poo suspended. I think that's the reason the gauge shows 25% full with just a couple gallons of fresh water in it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 03:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
First off, I put a clear 90 between the y pipe and the sanicon 3" hose so I can see what the poo is going on. The macerator sound will change when the tank geos empty, but th 90 helps tell me how clean my cleanout procedure is. The 90 also relieves most of the strain of bending the sanicon 3" hose; this strain broke one of th ears off my y pipe, causing a pronounced and annoying drip.

Your black/gray tank regimen is normal, until the black tank goes empty. I shut off the sanicon, and with the mt black tank open, I open the gray, which flows into the black tank. I then close the gray and turn the sanicon on again, to remove the gray water out of the black tank, effectively rinsing the tank. With a full gray, I do this about 3 times. Then I turn on the black tank rinse system and finish rinsing the black tank. Close the black, open the gray and the last of the gray gets pumped out. I use the black tank rinser to preload the black tank with water for installation of deodorizer chems.

When hooked to sewer, I open the gray until the nite before emptying the black, at which point I close the gray and take a nice long shower.
X2 Same way I use it. I go back and forth between Sanicon and stinky slinky depending on our location.
Crabb E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Well, what I was hearing here and what I was reading in the owner's manual wasn't matching what I was looking at in my wet bay. The manual says there is a gray water bypass valve. There seems to be a general consensus here and in other threads that there is a bypass valve but I wasn't seeing one. So I called Monaco. Of course the manual is a bit generic with regards to some of the systems. They sent me the info on the actual system that they show as being installed in my coach. And sure enough, it matches what I was seeing. Mine does not have the gray water bypass. So, I have to leave the tanks closed until I run the Sanicon if I was bent on using it, which I'm not. It was more curiosity than anything.

So, I'll keep taking advantage of gravity and a three inch hose.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
#3 in the photo above is the gray water bypass Yep, it's small, 1/4"id, but it works 24/7/365 so it'll bypasss all your shower water while you're asleep. Turtle and hare kinda thing. The nicest thing about the sanicon is never having to connect or disconnect the 3" hose, and the ability to cap off the end of the 1" hose, #5a. WAAYYY more sanitary, and you don't ever get the SUPRISE when you remove the big 3" cap from the y pipe to find that one of your 3" valves is leaking. I use mine exclusively.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

I use my Sanicon exclusively as well. It's so much cleaner than the slinky. Takes a little longer to dump but if you are at a full service site what does it matter?

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
#3 in the photo above is the gray water bypass Yep, it's small, 1/4"id, but it works 24/7/365 so it'll bypasss all your shower water while you're asleep. Turtle and hare kinda thing. The nicest thing about the sanicon is never having to connect or disconnect the 3" hose, and the ability to cap off the end of the 1" hose, #5a. WAAYYY more sanitary, and you don't ever get the SUPRISE when you remove the big 3" cap from the y pipe to find that one of your 3" valves is leaking. I use mine exclusively.
The other recent thread introduced me to the Sanicon set up. I read over thread, even posted to it, but still didn't comprehend what the advantage of the Sanicon was.

With your reply, i now see one of the good points. The 3" stays attached on our rig but i'd sure think about installing the Sanicon if it didn't.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Schulz View Post
I use my Sanicon exclusively as well. It's so much cleaner than the slinky. Takes a little longer to dump but if you are at a full service site what does it matter?

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
Dangerous Dutchstar Don commented that by the time you get out your 3" slinky, hook it up, disconnect and then stow the slinky it might not take that much longer to dump your tank using the Sanicon. That makes sense to me. It's on my list.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:13 PM   #10

BTW, those of you that have the Sanicon, when your camping and have it connected to the dump connection and using your grey water bypass, do you leave your baggage door open or will the end of the Sanico fit through the opening in the bottom of your sewage bin?
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 08:30 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
On our 3rd MH, and always use the sanicon. I had to cut another opening in the wet bay floor. The original opening was impossible to get the end of the sanicon thru. (found at a marine store) Leave hooked up when camping. I leave the valves shut. When herself is doing laundry (yes we have w/d) I will leave the grey valve open, as it will (slowly) drain. As noted before, I send grey water to black a few times to flush black out.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #12

I use both the Sanicon and the large hose during our travels. For short stays I use the SC. I hate messing with that big hose and all the drips and fittings when you put it away. It takes a little longer to dump but it's much cleaner. The SC fitting fits through the factory installed hatch in the floor so no need to keep the door open. If we are stationary for a while I will set up the slinky, mainly to keep wear and tear off the SC. The only drawback to the SC is if it fails. That might be a messy cleanup but regular maintenance would help. I disassemble mine yearly to check the blades and impeller. I'd rather do it at my choosing when things are at their cleanest. I don't care for the position in which the OP's is mounted. Having it mounted above the sewer outlet behind a panel could be problematic when it comes due for service/ repair. I don't see how you could even switch over to a slinky without making a mess. Mine is sitting on the bay floor connected by a short hose with a clear fitting. I put a electrical plug inline and when it's time to remove it I just unplug it and lift it out.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:33 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconman View Post
I don't care for the position in which the OP's is mounted. Having it mounted above the sewer outlet behind a panel could be problematic when it comes due for service/ repair.
That is one of my concerns. The SC system is installed a few inches higher than where the SC hose connects to the drain. Not a big deal to "milk" that small section when leaving but still a bad design. As far as access for service, the smaller panel down low is easily removed with just a few screws. You don't need to remove the entire wet bay cover panel.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:12 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
BTW, those of you that have the Sanicon, when your camping and have it connected to the dump connection and using your grey water bypass, do you leave your baggage door open or will the end of the Sanico fit through the opening in the bottom of your sewage bin?
Yes it will fit and it pulls off real easy so if it does not you can pass the hose thru and reconnect it.

It's so easy and clean to use it actually just make sense.