Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2021, 06:12 PM   #43

This is not unusual to happen to brakes. This Grove will not hurt your stopping power. 41 thousand miles should not need brakes. Let alone until pads need changed
JHowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2021, 06:15 PM   #44

I am guessing your Phaeton is on a FL chassis. Our local FL place here in San Diego doesn't even take appointments. You just show up before 7am and they work on it that day. It sounds like you are someone's "mark" for an upcoming boat payment. My cummins dealer always likes to add odd expensive repairs to try to drum up sales. Last two times it was front seal ($2k) as they said its seeping. That oil stain with dirt has been there for 5 years. Never seen a drip on the ground or behind it on the rear cap. Was thinking I should crawl under there and wipe it off prior to my yearly visit next month, see if they still put it on there.
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:39 PM   #45

brake job??????

I think this is what the dealers do the inspections for. Throw a scare and make themselves a job. I would get the hell out of their!!! MOMCAT
Old 12-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #46

The picture of the rotor doesn't look too bad. It's hard to judge what is needed without a good visual inspection. The amount of work your shop is recommending is suspicious. You definitely need a second opinion from a reputable truck brake shop.
Steve578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:05 PM   #47

There also trying to double charge labor for front bearings. The tires rotors and brakes will be off. My guesstimate and looking at semi bearings ,races ,seal $250 parts so $750 labor to clean spindle and pack install new set is ludicrous.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Why replace the bearings?
That is probably the UWFSP line on the bill.

(Unneeded Work For Shop Profit)
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:33 PM   #49

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Good ol’ UWFSP.....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 07:36 PM   #50

Which they may or may not actually perform, or may just bill you for if it's not visible. (like...wheel bearings!)
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 08:35 PM   #51

Take a drive to Chicks in the Sunshine State
They are the best there is
https://cf-w.com/
Rich H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:29 AM   #52

Don't do anything the rotor. This happens when a rock gets stuck at the pad somewhere and makes a groove like you have shown. Machining it down will only wear out your rotor for nothing.
monci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:32 AM   #53

I am a certified tech Working on cars and trucks for 40 years. I would never recommend replacing brakes due to a minor scrape on the brake rotor like this. As long as the brake pads are in good condition, I would drive it until the brakes are worn. As far as the wheel bearings are concerned, I would clean and repack with grease during a routine brake job and replace if they are worn.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:12 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle View Post
Which they may or may not actually perform, or may just bill you for if it's not visible. (like...wheel bearings!)
So, here's a fun thing to do. When you drop it off, have a cardboard box. Tell them to put all replaced parts in the box. If you see parts on the bill that aren't in the box, question the service manager about this. If you see serviceable parts in the box, question the service manager on this. They love to play this game!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:35 AM   #55

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the reply's I don't totally disagree with. The grove issues I do. The grove itself might be ignored but more importantly is the smooth rotor surface. I know we all realize brakes work by creating friction. How in the heck is that rotor going to create much if any friction? Secondly the two surfaces rotor and brake pad must come together so 100% of the surfaces are touching each other. If not you again won't create the required friction to facilitate proper safe braking.

I'd never, never re-use a pad even if there's still has some remaining. What part of burnishing and prepping both surfaces by allowing 200 stops and starts before brake rotors and pads have reached their best friction creating condition do some folks just not understand???

Those above standards are not mine but the federal governments guidelines for proper braking. Material from pads is transferred onto the rotors during the burnishing process. Smooth surfaces on rotors & pads does not create enough heat nor friction and braking will suffer. MHO says to NEVER scrimp on brake repair and allow others to be in your sights because you can't safely stop your RV.

Maybe the grove can be overlooked if minimal re-surfacing can flatten that rotor. If not then that rotor needs to be replaced. I'd never run that rotor again. Silly to even consider it.

Don't know for sure but it takes very little for a rotor to stick momentarily which will then create more heat which continues the caliper sticking which eventually can cause the rotor grove we see.

We can't overlook obvious failures because we believe it should have lasted longer. That's just faulty dangerous thinking IMHO. A defective failing part is just that regardless of how long it should have lasted.

As far as bearings if a tapered roller bearing is failing a quick inspection of the rollers will spot it. If the hardness of those rollers is still intact then don't spend $$$$ to replace a good part. We all should know how to recognize a defective bearing. Just ask them why they believe they need replaced and for them to show you the metal flake in the grease. Very, very simple diagnosis even a 10 year old kid can see. If it's their policy to replace without checking then don't use that shop. They are doing it for profit only. Some shops would just repack them and charge you for new replacement bearings. Nice $300 to $400 profit for little work.
Old 12-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #56

I have found using a mobile mechanic reduces the cost as much as 50%. I had 3 dealers screw me on brake repair. All 3 miss diagnosed the problem. The Mobile mechanic found it and fixed it the same day for 1/2 of what the in-house places wanted to fix it.
roadrunner 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake