RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2018, 09:00 AM   #15

I would get a 100lb external propane cylinder, attach it to the RV propane line, and setup a Keep Fill program with the campsite's propane provider and keep the heat on low.
Then, there are a number of low temp trigger devices that can connect to the campground Wifi to send you notification if an event (low temp) has triggered. Most all monitored security systems perform this task.

With regards to the camera - what are you trying to view? If you are looking for people messing with your camper - how are you going to respond anyway? I would just get an alarm system installed, setup a monitoring account (via wifi) and have the police do what they do. The camera won't help in most situations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 01:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
I would get a 100lb external propane cylinder, attach it to the RV propane line, and setup a Keep Fill program with the campsite's propane provider and keep the heat on low.
Then, there are a number of low temp trigger devices that can connect to the campground Wifi to send you notification if an event (low temp) has triggered. Most all monitored security systems perform this task.

With regards to the camera - what are you trying to view? If you are looking for people messing with your camper - how are you going to respond anyway? I would just get an alarm system installed, setup a monitoring account (via wifi) and have the police do what they do. The camera won't help in most situations.
Best answer yet.

Satellite Internet options are generally slow and expensive. See Satellite Internet for RVers.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #17

Even if you get a monitoring device, how will you respond to a low temperature alarm. I take it the camper is within driving distance from your home. Why not just put on a few electric heaters on low. Im assuming you have electricity at the campground. The temperatures in Tennessee dont get below freezing too often that the heaters wouldnt keep it warm inside. If a cold spell is coming, drive up, and turn up the heaters. You could always put a thermometer inside that someone could read through the window. Have someone from the campground monitor the temps, and call you if there is a problem. Propane heat is very moist, so if heating with the propane furnace, you would probably want a dehumidifier on.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #18

Low thermostat best

Several have suggested larger propane and setting the thermostat on low as the best option, and it is.
But I wanted to make an observation the OP made on an internet provider, tengonet.com. Last spring we were in a park with tengonet for 2 months. It was ok, and for us the best option at the time, but it was not reliable. I had to call their customer service several times. A couple times, they needed to reset their router, a few times I had to reboot my PC in order to reconnect -- merely disconnect / reconnect the network connection wouldn't do it. I would NOT rely on Tengonet for anything critical if I wasn't right there monitoring it.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by arboldt View Post
A couple times, they needed to reset their router, a few times I had to reboot my PC in order to reconnect -- merely disconnect / reconnect the network connection wouldn't do it. I would NOT rely on Tengonet for anything critical if I wasn't right there monitoring it.
https://www.mybluebolt.com/products/

This is the type of equipment we use for remote monitoring / reboot of systems to ensure up time.
Our control system talks to the Bluebolt hardware for rebooting other devices on the network side.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Even if you get a monitoring device, how will you respond to a low temperature alarm. I take it the camper is within driving distance from your home. Why not just put on a few electric heaters on low. Im assuming you have electricity at the campground. The temperatures in Tennessee dont get below freezing too often that the heaters wouldnt keep it warm inside. If a cold spell is coming, drive up, and turn up the heaters. You could always put a thermometer inside that someone could read through the window. Have someone from the campground monitor the temps, and call you if there is a problem. Propane heat is very moist, so if heating with the propane furnace, you would probably want a dehumidifier on.
I am going to use a hotspot thru my phone provider with minimal gbs
The blink cameras have temperature monitoring as well. I will be using receptacles that can be turned on via WiFi to operate electric heaters. That is just a precaution as I will be using air to blow out the water lines Everytime we leave the coach during periods when temps could fall in the freezing range
Kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Is DSL available at the Park?
Aweese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #22

Iím not sure how big your RV is, but would you consider winterizing when you leave and the prepping when you arrive? Ours takes about 5 minutes and 1.5 gallons of antifreeze. No internet, no propane, etc.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:33 PM   #23

This appears to be designed to do exactly what you want, it supports WIFI, or SMS cell phone text messages (subscription required) and handles temperature monitoring, as well as optional motion detection, though no camera.

https://smile.amazon.com/pp-Code-Tem.../dp/B01MV415MP

http://watchman.online/
Old 10-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
This appears to be designed to do exactly what you want, it supports WIFI, or SMS cell phone text messages (subscription required) and handles temperature monitoring, as well as optional motion detection, though no camera.

https://smile.amazon.com/pp-Code-Tem.../dp/B01MV415MP

http://watchman.online/
Pretty cool thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Iím not sure how big your RV is, but would you consider winterizing when you leave and the prepping when you arrive? Ours takes about 5 minutes and 1.5 gallons of antifreeze. No internet, no propane, etc.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
I will be winterizing when I leave. But I'm still nervous about the pipes like I'd miss some small amount or something. I know I'm being rediculous. Plus additionally I like the ability to preheat it prior to our arrival

Tags
satellite