Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #1

Satellite connector

Hello I am thinking about getting a tailgater satelite dome , my question is can I just connect it to the satelite connector on the outside of my coach to make it work. Thank You franks5girls
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #2

It worked on my coach. But it's rare due to low grade coax. It's worth a try.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yes, if you have a satilite in connector, just get a coax coupler fitting and connect the Tailgater.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
You need Cat 6 coax cable and connect directly to the tv connection on the side of your coach. Nothing special is needed. Your 08 coach should already have cat 6 cable in the inside runs. The connection on the side of the coach does not care what the source of the tv signal is. Just remember to always turn off the over the air antenna when using the out side connection. The OTA signal over rides that connection. I have been using the same Tailgater since 2011 with no issues. I am full time...
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:28 AM   #5

Thank You your reply was very helpful
Old 11-09-2017, 06:41 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I may not understand this thread but just having the Tailgater alone is not going to work unless it goes to a Dish Network Receiver. Maybe I missed the point. Yes the cable will work if it goes to the Receiver before the TV.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:31 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to connect the satellite dish to the satellite receiver and the receiver output to the TV. You should connect the dish to a "satellite" connector if one is available. You want to avoid connecting the dish to a "tv" connector as very frequently the tv signals goes through splitters in the coach and the splitters will not pass the voltage from the satellite receiver to the dish necessary to change satellites when you change channels. That said, it should work if there are no splitters and the TV cable is high quality.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I have a 2005 with a a BOMB (box of many buttons) I can hook my Dish Tailgater up to the factory installed coax at the rear of the coach and I can watch either OTA tv or satellite with either tv at the same time. Picture quality is good. All I have is the crank up Winegard antenna and it works great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0958.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	182552
Old 11-10-2017, 04:50 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a bit more but I will cover that.
However the basic answer, assumig your coach is indeed properly wired for Sattelite and the other end of that cable hooks to your VIP-Dish receiver is YES.. it's that simple.

The rest: You need to insure the Tailgater can see the proper part of the sky.. How to do that

Downlaod any decent "Sat Finder" app to your Smart phone.. These apps use the phone's camera and put up a cross hair. If the cross hair is on clear sky for all 3 sats.. THen the tailgater can likely see them.. (Set it the height you hold the phone BEHIND where you are standing)
Old 11-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Satellite connector

[QUOTE=tmw188;3894354]I have a 2005 with a a BOMB (box of many buttons) I can hook my Dish Tailgater up to the factory installed coax at the rear of the coach and I can watch either OTA tv or satellite with either tv at the same time. Picture quality is good. All I have is the crank up Winegard antenna and it works great.

Ok sorry when I posted post #8 I didn't mean to make it sound as if I wasn't using a receiver, but yes there is a receiver between the Dish and the BOMB.

Tags
satellite