RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #1

Satellite receivers

Getting back into an RV, previously had Dish as the provider, now considering DirectTV, any thoughts would be appreciated.
Bizjet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #2

What do tou have at home?
We have Direct at home, so we take receivers from home when we travel. Direct automatic roof mounted dish is more expensive up front cost. Direct has better sports packages. Everything else is really a toss up.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Everything else is really a toss up.
Hardly. The best DirecTV receiver has 5 tuners I believe. DISH's has 16.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Hardly. The best DirecTV receiver has 5 tuners I believe. DISH's has 16.
Of course, the Directv receiver actually works.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:17 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
We have Direct at home, so we take receivers from home when we travel.
X1.
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
Of course, the Directv receiver actually works.
Really, and Dish doesn't? Hummmm, wonder what satellite feed we've been watching?

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we use our receiver from the old house... east coast feed across the country so on the west coast we can watch everything three hours earlier....headed to Alaska this summer and told Directv that we would get reception across the border so they graciously suspended our account from April until Sept with no additional charges...we mounted our Winegard dish on the roof and can take it off if we are in area that is blocking the signal (happened near Cody Wy)....have had the same set up for six years.
lenkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:46 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dish allows pay as you go for RV'rs, Direct TV does not. In other words I only pay for Dish when I'm going to use it and not the whole year. I usually on pay for about 3 months a year. Direct TV wants you to suspend the service for a set amount of time and only allows you to do that maybe twice a year but you have to call in advance.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:58 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I have Dish. I mounted a Winegard traveller dish to my roof. The kind that folds up not the dome. Both options actually work great. We added our RV to our plan with 2-211 receivers for $9 dollars a month. Some sort of tailgater option that was available from Dish. I considered the prepay option but did not want to hassle with Dish. Upfront cost for the 211 receivers was not cheap but I own the receivers. $9 dollars a month seemed cheap enough. The big negative is when you park your RV for extended periods of time the receivers need to be reset due to inactivity? This makes no sense to me? Most of the time I have to call Dish and have them reboot our RV system so the updates can be received. The reboot/update/reset procedure is easy and fast and really not to painful.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If the RV has a satellite dome you need to find out if it's compatible with Dish or Direct TV. Some can be configured for both, others only one!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:24 PM   #11

Dish Wally and Joey

We have DISH at home with a Hopper and Joey. In our RV we have a Wally and it keeps its programming and very, very rarely needs a reboot.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 07:53 AM   #12

I prefer Dish because I can get hidef using a portable satellite dish. We have Dish at home and in the coach. We purchased a receiver that stays in the coach. We have an X2 automatic portable dish that works great. We camp in too many places where we cannot get a signal with a roof mounted dish. With 100 foot of coax, we have been able to find a spot where the dish can see the satellites.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite