Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Satellite TV Cabling in Motorhome

I have a KVH in-motion dual LNB satellite dome on my DP. The first LNB cable goes directly into the satellite box and component cables go to the forward TV. I can watch TV in front without a problem.

The second LNB cable goes into the "cable in" of the Winegard switchbox. When I connect a second satellite box to the bedroom TV it does not seem to receive a signal on more than 1 or 2 transponders, so I can't watch satellite TV in the bedroom. Does the satellite box have to be in line "Before" the Winegard switchbox? If so, how can DW change channels in the bedroom if the satellite box in placed in front of the switchbox, which is in the overhead in front of the MH above the dash?

All of the cabling in my MH is coax. I bought my MH used and it did not have any satellite boxes, so I don't know how they were wired originally.

I would like to be able to watch TV independently on the two different televisions. I would then like to be able to watch satellite TV on the outside television, though I would be OK having control from the bedroom.

any help would be appreciated.
Tomp4801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why don't you try to put the lead from the lnb in to the sat in on the selector box then the signal will be going to both tv's then the cable boxes get connected the the cable coming out of the wall plate then out from box to TV
Old 09-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have Directv or Dish? Dish makes their box to be able to use two tvs with only one receiver box. But, you cannot use your windgard switch box. The bedroom remote works awesome thru the walls for the signal. good luck
lilgreek7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have DirecTV I have run the LNB thru the "sat in" on the switchbox... when I connect the satellite box at the bedroom TV I'm not getting a full signal on all transponders.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting...there's fixes, but there's a catch for each fix. See below in RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
I have a KVH in-motion dual LNB satellite dome on my DP. The first LNB cable goes directly into the satellite box and component cables go to the forward TV. I can watch TV in front without a problem. This is the way it's made to work!

The second LNB cable goes into the "cable in" <-(here's your problem) of the Winegard switchbox. When I connect a second satellite box to the bedroom TV it does not seem to receive a signal on more than 1 or 2 transponders, so I can't watch satellite TV in the bedroom. (Yep, it doesn't work that way) Does the satellite box have to be in line "Before" the Winegard switchbox? (Yes) If so, how can DW change channels in the bedroom if the satellite box in placed in front of the switchbox, which is in the overhead in front of the MH above the dash? The catch is that you need to have a new(er) style receiver with a remote using RF signal vs. IR, so the remote signal will reach the length of your coach.

All of the cabling in my MH is coax. I bought my MH used and it did not have any satellite boxes, so I don't know how they were wired originally. No problem, you can make it work.

HERE's your goal (see more below)- I would like to be able to watch TV independently on the two different televisions. I would then like to be able to watch satellite TV on the outside television, though I would be OK having control from the bedroom. any help would be appreciated.
Here's another idea;
1. For receiver #1 in front - keep the composite cables going to TV#1 PLUS use a short cable from the COAX output jack on receiver #1 to the SAT input or AUX input of the Winegard box (whichever jack you have available). This will send whatever SAT channel you select on SAT receiver #1 to the whole house TV system - via channel 3 or 4 on the SAT or AUX path - including your outside TV. Only catch is the remote has to be used inside on receiver #1.

And,
2. Directly connect LNB Cable #2 to the COAX cable going to the rear TV (bypass the switch box) with one of these or similar:

Name:   F_Type connector.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  16.5 KB
and put receiver #2 in the back near the TV. The remote and TV will work in the back just like the front one.
Catch is, on the rear TV, if you want to watch OTA TV from your BatWing, TV from Park Cable, or a DVD from a DVD Player in front, you will have to swap the COAX for the back TV onto the switch box again. You could to do connection with a video switch, but the switch HAS to a very simple mechanical type switch that will work with both the SAT signal frequencies AND/OR the RF signals from OTA, DVD and cable TV sources.

Terms:
COAX = Coaxial Cable
COAX Jack = F-Type Connetion
OTA TV = Over the air Broadcast TV
DVD = Video Disc Player

Hope this works for you
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
Why don't you try to put the lead from the lnb in to the sat in on the selector box then the signal will be going to both tv's then the cable boxes get connected the the cable coming out of the wall plate then out from box to TV
This doesn't work. The connection between the Dish and the Receiver must be clear (void of any swtiches or amps made for regular OTA TV or Cable TV) because of the BIG differences between the frequencies carried on the SAT to Receiver cable vs. the signal on the after receiver cable.

The Winegard box is only made to split and amplify OTA and Cable TV Channel frequencies only (Channels 2-173 or whatever).
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
We have used the below remote from Weaknees.com to control a receiver/dvr from anywhere in a 3,500 ft house and also in the MH.

RF Remote Converter - Control your TiVo from Anywhere in the House!

This RF remote enhancer would allow control of the second forward mounted receiver (does not have to be a Tivo) from anywhere nearby.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all for your help. I know what I have to do now.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The connection between the Dish and the Receiver must be clear (void of any swtiches or amps made for regular OTA TV or Cable TV) because of the BIG differences between the frequencies carried on the SAT to Receiver cable vs. the signal on the after receiver cable.

The Winegard box is only made to split and amplify OTA and Cable TV Channel frequencies only (Channels 2-173 or whatever).
I want to add something I just found...seems you can use one COAX to carry the RAW SAT signal (before the receiver) -and- OTA/Cable TV with a "diplexer."

They are CHEEEP too!

I have no experience with this, but that's what it says here:
Satellite Diplexer, Signal Combiner and Splitter

Two of these little babies will make running the feed to the rear TV of the OP's coach "a snap" with no cable swapping - yes?

Put a Diplexer on the COAX going to the rear TV - One input of the diplexer with the LNB #2 cable - the other input from the TV #2 output of the Switchbox.
And put a diplexer at the other end of the rear TV COAX splitting the output signal to the SAT Receiver and the TV!
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 09-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomp4801 View Post
I have a KVH in-motion dual LNB satellite dome on my DP. The first LNB cable goes directly into the satellite box and component cables go to the forward TV. I can watch TV in front without a problem.

The second LNB cable goes into the "cable in" of the Winegard switchbox. When I connect a second satellite box to the bedroom TV it does not seem to receive a signal on more than 1 or 2 transponders, so I can't watch satellite TV in the bedroom. Does the satellite box have to be in line "Before" the Winegard switchbox? If so, how can DW change channels in the bedroom if the satellite box in placed in front of the switchbox, which is in the overhead in front of the MH above the dash?

All of the cabling in my MH is coax. I bought my MH used and it did not have any satellite boxes, so I don't know how they were wired originally.

I would like to be able to watch TV independently on the two different televisions. I would then like to be able to watch satellite TV on the outside television, though I would be OK having control from the bedroom.

any help would be appreciated.
Set 1 is hooked up correctly, set 2 and sat box 2 need to be isolated and have a direct line from the LNB. If you cannot do that then you can hook up Set 2 to the set 1 satellite box with the coax that goes to your set 2. If you have a newer receiver you will be able to set the satellite bos and remote to RF tuning and control your Set 1 box with the remote in bedroom. Have fun. Seeya on the road. There cannot be any switches between the Satellite output coax and the satellite boxes themselves.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote