Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2018, 06:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Sauer Danfoss fan controller

Hi we have an 05 Dynasty. I feel the Sauer Danfoss FDCA fan control assembly is faulty. I would either like to purchase a new one or have mine exchanged or rebuilt. I do not want to retrofit it with the older style WAX controller, because I do not want to loose my interface with the coaches dash air conditioner.
Does anyone know if these units are either available in new, rebuilt, or exchange. And if is from what supply source? I do not believe the manufacturer will sell direct to the end users. My part number is 1090822.
I know there has been some discussion about this before, but I can not find any up to date info.
Thanks in advance
LEBEH 🤔
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Sorry to inform you but the controller is a potted assembly. That means the circuit board is built, installed in the enclosure and a rubber-like material is poured into the enclosure. You can't even see any components. So, break out the wallet as you will have to buy a new one.

I spent a week digging all the potting material out, here is a picture of the circuit board. My background is failure analysis so I had to see what made it tick

I replaced the controller with a wax valve from Source Engineering and have zero problems with the dash air working
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01266.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	214421  
Old 08-08-2018, 09:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Dons2346...
Do you know who I can get the Danfoss FMCA controller from, and how much $$$$ it is?
Question #2.... Is there any interface to insure the engine fan runs at higher speeds when the dash air is turned on? (The AC people say it's a must)!
All the best
LSBEH
Old 08-08-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"LSBEH"......Call Source Engineering, a sponsor on here. They are ex Monaco employees who are still servicing and making after market products for Monacos. They have their own system for the fan drive. At minimum, they'll be a good resource for information for you.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:13 AM   #5
DJJ

LSBEH,
Sauer Danfoss is now owned by Dynamatic Limited the best price I found were from White House Products email them at info@WHP.co.uk with you part number for pricing you do have to register on the web site to order the part though. Also Berendsen Fluid Power (770) 419-3430 is an international hydraulic co the number is a GA location and they sell at about half what Freightliner charges for Sauer Danfoss parts.
Jeff
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
LSBEH, I went through this recently and did not want the wax valve. There are new part numbers for your controller.

On mine, the original Sauer Danfoss Fan Drive Control Assembly (FDCA) was 1091140 (No longer available) which has been superceded by 11163020. The plug and wiring are the same as yours. Look at page 25 of this for 11163020: http://files.danfoss.com/documents/11005337.pdf

If you could find the Fan Drive Control (FDC) electronic part of that assembly, 11163018 it would most likely fix the problem without having to disconnect the hydraulic lines. I could not find one. The original FDC number which has been superceded was 1091139

You can look at the Danfoss site to find a distributor. Another place I would check is Berendsen Fluid Power Berendsen Fluid Power - Locations

Berendsen Fluid Power - Locations
Old 08-09-2018, 11:19 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Danfoss FDCA controller

Thanks to all that replied to my original post...you guys are a big help. Between all of you and my own detective work...I found that the manufacturer is still in business under a new name and parts are still available ( and yes a little spendy).
My old part number was 1090822...the new part number is 11163003. There seems to be very many part numbers for what looks like the same part. Specific part numbers seem to be mean different types of electrical connectors on the wire ends and specific programming for the built in electronics board. If I order one it should come ready for plug and play installation.
I will do more detective work before I order...to investigate other options
Will let you all know what I decide and why
LSBEH. (Harvey) ⏳
Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Just another quick question for "hypoxia".....
Did you replace the entire FDCA unit ?
If so did it fix the problem ?
Where did you find the best price and how much ?

Sorry....I guess that was more than one quick question 😀

LSBEH. (Harvey)
Old 08-09-2018, 03:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Another factor to consider. If you are concerned about speeding the engine fan up because the dash AC is on, your AC condensor may not be in the radiator-charge air cooler stack beside the engine.
Our coach is very close to yours and the AC condensor is actually underneath the coach behind the front axle mounted to the firewall. It has a small electric fan on it.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBEH View Post
Just another quick question for "hypoxia".....
Did you replace the entire FDCA unit ?
If so did it fix the problem ?
Where did you find the best price and how much ?
LSBEH. (Harvey)
I replaced the entire unit, I would have just replaced the electronics package if I had found that part.
It did fix the problem which was the fan running all the time.
Berendsen seems to have the best pricing I know of. I bought one from a Monacoer that didn't need it. He bought it from Berendsen, I think around $650.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:36 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Trying to decide

Well gentlemen....I have not made my final decision yet on the new Danfoss unit for $983 (plus freight, taxes, and a 12 week lead time), or the WAX style valve from Source Engineering for $695 (plus freight, taxes, and it's in stock).
The Danfoss assembly seems easier to install, but the Source Engineering valve is no big deal either. I'm one of those guys that like to keep things original, but there is no guarantee that the new Danfoss valve wouldn't give trouble again in a few years (then I pay again). Jim at Source Engineering satisfied my concern with the fan running quick enough to keep the dash air condenser with adequate air flow. He says the valve has an orfice that allows enough oil to puss through to keep the fan running 850 - 900 RPM even at engine idle.
I'm now leaning toward the WAX valve from Source engineering.
I'll post again once I've installed some thing I'm happy with
LSBEH. Harvey 🤔
Old 08-09-2018, 09:17 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
LSBEH,
I toyed with installing the 3rd controller but went with the wax valve. It is a very easy installation and in 30K miles, it has performed as advertised.

I just returned to the wet coast from Gillette,WY on 90. The entire trip was done with temps in the high 90's and the highest temp I saw was 193 on the motor and 190 on the trans.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #13

My Fan Control new number was DAF 11163031. Got this number by emailing Freightliner with my vin. Ordered one from Eddies Truck Center in Rapid City. They are freightliner and cummins shop. Cost was $552.40 minus a 10% FCOC discount. Installed myself, but have not had on the road since I replaced so can't tell you if fixed my fan from running full speed all the time.
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:35 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBEH View Post
Well gentlemen....I have not made my final decision yet on the new Danfoss unit for $983 (plus freight, taxes, and a 12 week lead time), or the WAX style valve from Source Engineering for $695 (plus freight, taxes, and it's in stock).
As you can see from the post by milehighcity, pricing is all over the board and depends on who you call. I think mine came fron the San Diego Berendensen.

I looked at the wax valve option also but it is a PITA to install and they are not 100% reliable either.

It drives me crazy seeing the Source pricing when I know I can get the parts from the UK for much less. I had a similar frustration with Aston Martin parts. I could order them from the UK, they would arrive 2 days later and cost about half of the USA pricing.

Tags
fan