Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 PM   #1

Thumbs up Save your money !!!!!

Many parts for the Workhorse are used on other vehicles at a cheaper price. AC unit off of a 1996-2000 Yukon,new or remanufactured much cheaper from any parts store. Coils and plug wires for 8.1 and many of the engine sensors and controls are the same as the Yukon,do a little checking and save big money. I just bought a front oil hub for a w 22 Workhorse and paid a dealer $ 57.00 for it,bought a spare from NAPA and paid $17.84 for it. Both part # were cr1608 on the item.It was melted and should have been replaced on the brake recall which it was not.Live and learn. Hope this will save someone some money.Thank you
rich6111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #2

If you have a part number (of ANY kind, ANY brand) in hand, FIRST head over to NAPA AUTO PARTS put it (the part number only) in the search box and CHECK the INTERCHANGE BOX. You'll be surprised at the cost savings from the blue stores always nearby.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks
Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for the advice, I have also noticed when going to the auto parts supply stores, do not tell them its for a notor home. They will almost surly tell you they do not have it. At least this is what has happened to me a few times. Then I started asking for the part as if it is off a truck. Got better results. Even with the part number or part in hand they always ask what did this come off of.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwillie View Post
..Even with the part number or part in hand they always ask what did this come off of.
They will ask for more info as having a part number rigs is in no way unique across the product spectrum. Hence, when the part number brings up a list of possibilities, they need to know what it is and what it's off of to help narrow it down to the correct part.

You certainly will have little luck if you start the conversation with I have a Newmar blah blah and need a so and so...
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu mentioned the A/C off a Yukon.

Do you have eitehr a cross reference or teh specs on the HEAVAC (heater/Air Conditioner) Blower ... not the motor (Though I would not object there) but the blower itself?

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When I worked at a NAPA store , Once I asked what's it fit? I was told a blue ford. If you have the part number, it makes NO difference what it fits. It's the same part.
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Latest Example, I have a Volvo 1800 sport coupe, I needed rear brake shoes, I had the part number, but they didn't have them for a Volvo, they had them for a International Harvester Scout or a Studebaker. I took them and installed them on the rear of my VOLVO.
woodfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found from working on my previous Ford F-53 that NAPA was the only local autoparts store that even had it listed in their computer. Never needed a part that they didn't have or couldn't order for me.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM   #10

I just heard a story today that sometimes a strike can disrupt the normal supply, and vehicle manufacturers will actually use parts from other manufacturers! Don't know how true it might be, but having the old part in hand might help ensure that you get the new right part the first time.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
When I was changing the oil in my genny last Dec. I went to NAPA for an oil filter with part number in hand. They could get it for me, even had a picture of the filter on their computer, the cost was $68. The cost from Cummins/Onan was $9. So buyer beware. You may end up paying much more than the dealer price. Of coarse I drove the extra 20 miles to save $59.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the post and the update. I've found that if I take a part to NAPA they usually can cross reference it to there brand and save lot's of $$$$$$$. I would suspect that any parts off of a 8.1 regardless of what vehicle it's in can be used on the Workhorse. Good find though on the wheel hub.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
I found from working on my previous Ford F-53 that NAPA was the only local autoparts store that even had it listed in their computer. Never needed a part that they didn't have or couldn't order for me.
You are so right, they usually had the parts for an F-550 which usually fit.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the part number Rich...now on file in my little W22 parts catalog. Your consideration and willingness to help others is one of the many things that make this such a great site...thank you. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote