Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2019, 04:46 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
I have never figured out how anything on the outside of a metal water spigot affects the water that comes out of the inside of it? And if there were something unhealthy inside of the spigot, how would spraying disinfectant on the outside of the spigot get inside to make any difference?

It doesn't. It's just folks being cautious. These are the same folks that will use antibactereial wipes on the carts at the grocery store and then wonder why we have antibiotic resistant germs. Personally I think my immune system needs a workout daily. That said it is pretty disgusting to let your dog pee on the water spigot, but urine is sterile.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Why not just use Lysol?

Personally, I am just thrilled when I see a paw print in dog poop in our yard and realize that the mud on the bedspread from the dog likely was not mud...

Ray
That is what we have been using for years. Very convenient and I assume does what it says for more than 24 hrs.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #59

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pee on faucet -

Keep in mind -

The dog chose that spot because it smelled other "scents" marking that spot. Who knows how many animals, tame or wild, has done the same thing there?

I would use that (faucet) water for everything BUT drinking. I don't drink tap water even at home. Then again, I don't have an ice maker on board.

Mk.
mpkoontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:22 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Guess they have people with more opinion than fact.

Since I use untreated well water at home I add bleach to the RV fresh water tank. The chlorine smell persists for weeks. As long as there is chlorine it is antibiotic.
So what do you do at home with your untreated well water?

We also have an untreated well. We test the water so we know it is safe. Putting our well water into our RV is the same as putting treated city water into the RV. Both are clean going in, and the only way they'll become contaminated is if some type of contaminate enters the system.

Water doesn't become contaminated on its own.

City water may smell like bleach for a long time - that does not mean that it has any sort of protective quality about it. It won't sanitize itself and if contaminates are introduced it will become contaminated.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:27 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryinID View Post
Guess they have people with more opinion than fact.

Since I use untreated well water at home I add bleach to the RV fresh water tank. The chlorine smell persists for weeks. As long as there is chlorine it is antibiotic.
Not quite

Free chlorine is very effective

Chloramines, not so much

Municipal systems maintain a free chlorine residual not a total chlorine level to adequately control coliform
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #62

When people spray the faucets, the educated ones spray upwards or into the faucet

A dog peeing on a hydrant is nothing like the guy using his sanitary gloves used to connect the waste hose , then connecting his black water hose to the potable faucet

Do you really think that can't lead to issues?
Old 09-06-2019, 07:12 AM   #63

I wish people had the same level of concern about electrical safety, but that's for another thread.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Local health dept says bleach and water mix has to be remade every 24 hrs as it looses it's strength and no longer kills germs.
And .... from a Google search

Quote:
Bleach solutions require a full 10 minutes of contact time to ensure complete disinfection. If bleach solution evaporates in less than 10 minutes, a greater volume of solution should be applied.
I know my home chlorination system is designed to guarantee long contact before the water arrives at the house, so I have wondered how effective a spray and wipe really is. I suppose it can't hurt.
Old 09-06-2019, 07:53 AM   #65

I still have never seen a verifiable reference to even a single person, anywhere, anytime, who has gotten sick from drinking water from the water spigot at an RV park where the water supply itself was not contaminated well water. Can anyone supply one?
Old 09-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #66

Many people get I'll and never confirm the root cause

In large scale food plants multiple water locations are tested for coliform

Have any of you any sayers ever heard of a food recall or anyone getting I'll or perhaps actually dying?

Now don't tell me you haven't

Assuming that a public access water tap is sterile is rather stupid

You would be in the group that thinks USDA inspectors and the CDC isn't doing anything

What's wrong with being safe and cautious

When you take coliform samples in most plants you carry a butane torch and burn the spigot internally and externally

The reason you do this is so you don't fail to many test especially in a row

I didn't realize that the crowd that don't wash their hands after bathroom breaks was so prevalent

Now don't get mad just pushing back because the faucet sterilizing deal is the very similar
Old 09-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #67

"Bleach solutions require a full 10 minutes of contact time to ensure complete disinfection."

So Clorox wipes are useless?
Shadowrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:12 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrip View Post
"Bleach solutions require a full 10 minutes of contact time to ensure complete disinfection."

So Clorox wipes are useless?
"Complete disinfection" is probably the key phrase. Maybe not useless though they probably don't achieve "complete disinfection."
Old 09-06-2019, 01:07 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
Many people get I'll and never confirm the root cause

In large scale food plants multiple water locations are tested for coliform

Have any of you any sayers ever heard of a food recall or anyone getting I'll or perhaps actually dying?

Now don't tell me you haven't

Assuming that a public access water tap is sterile is rather stupid

You would be in the group that thinks USDA inspectors and the CDC isn't doing anything

What's wrong with being safe and cautious

When you take coliform samples in most plants you carry a butane torch and burn the spigot internally and externally

The reason you do this is so you don't fail to many test especially in a row

I didn't realize that the crowd that don't wash their hands after bathroom breaks was so prevalent

Now don't get mad just pushing back because the faucet sterilizing deal is the very similar

My thoughts exactly!
Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #70

Clorox

I use Lysol. 99.9 percent effective do they say. I spray everything, faucets, all hoses to include black and connectors
Dana Anderso is offline   Reply With Quote