RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 01:50 AM   #57
Saf

I like the Silver Leaf because it is safer to use, big displays at closer to eye level when on the dash, higher contrast.
Saf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2018, 05:29 AM   #58

Since this thread started Silverleaf has updated the software. The new software allows for dial type gauges and corrected some bugs. However in a call to Silverleaf they told me they have discovered some new bugs in the new software and an updated software is in the works and should be out within the next month. Software from Silverleaf is free.

In comparing ScanGuage to Silverleaf they are really 2 different monitoring systems. The ScanGuage monitors much of the same data the Silverleaf system does but because of it's size displays only I believe 4 data points per page. Flipping between pages could be a distraction and because of it's small size some folks may have a hard time reading the display. Because of it's size it should be easy to locate in the drives field of view. It's an all in one unit.

The Silverleaf for now can only be use on a Windows operated computer or tablet like a surface pro so it must be acquired in addition to the Silverleaf hardware and because of a laptops size can be difficult to position. It monitors virtually any data the ECM provides and the screen can be customized to provide any or all data, and data points can be sized to the operators preference. Color is also an added feature and data points can be calibrated to show an engine parameter in red if that data exceeds the user define parameter. Sound is also available and a tone or voice can be added to warn of an out of parameter engine monitored data point. All data is displayed on the screen so there is no page flipping. Both units monitor ECM generated diagnostic codes.
The Silverleaf systems costs about twice as much but a computer must be added to that cost. In my case I had an old laptop that had become agonizing slow for surfing and I used that to install the Silverleaf system. No need for a fast computer.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #59

timjet,
For some reason I thought the Silverleaf system cost more than a thousand bucks. I was surprised to read in your post it was only twice as expensive as the ScanGaugeD. That got my attention.
Also, a software update allowing the user to display information in an analog instead of digital format is a big plus in my book. Some information is more suited for an analog format than a digital format display. Rapidly changing digits are sometimes difficult to read and interpret. The operator may not realize a parameter is rapidly approaching a limit until the digits turn amber then red in color.
An analog display like a clock face presentation allows an operator to tell at a glance where a parameter is in relation to marked upper and lower limits while the speed of movement of the needle tells him or her the rate at which the parameter is changing.
I may just have to dig in my piggy bank when the bugs are worked out of the Silverleaf software so I have a new toy....er, tool to play....er, work with.
I doubt I will shelve my ScanGaugeD completely though. It has proved to be too reliable and useful to me.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:01 PM   #60

While reviewing this thread I noticed someone mentioned the Silverleaf can display the gear you're in. I really would like to know what gear I am actually in at all times rather than just what gear (2nd gear in my coach) the Allison has pre-selected when my Pacbrake is operating.
Can someone verify the Silverleaf can do that for me? That just might be a deal maker for me. Icing on the cake would be if the software would work with my underused Samsung Android 10.1" tablet.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:44 PM   #61

FL420, check out the Silverleaf website. You're looking for the VMSpc unit, it use to be about 4-500 bucks. It will display tranny gear. Look at my setup on post 27 in this thread and click on the picture. NN indicates Tranny selected gear and actual gear. There is about a half second delay in displaying parameters and you can see that when shifting gears.
I personally don't have a use for analog gauges in this application. Remember you can't stare at a gauge when you're driving to get trend info. However you can use a graph type of gauge to get trend info.

Better I think is to color code parameters. If you want a rising parameter to alert you that is easily done. Just set the parameter where you want to be alerted and you're attention will be drawn to that gauge for continued monitoring.

With your aviation background think of your RV going down the runway a few knots before V1. You don't want to stare at any gauge but you want to know if somethings amiss. This is the perfect device for alerting you without having to stare at the screen.

If you look at the pic on post 27 you'll notice all the pertinent engine parameters are clustered at the left lower portion of the screen. There are no numbers there just color coded dots and the parameter they are monitoring. A quick glance will indicate an all green situation or something else. On the lower portion of the screen those same engine parameters are duplicated but with numbers to indicate actual operating conditions. So when doing 65 mph a quick glance with all green will tell me I can continue or if any other color I need to slow down and investigate.

I don't think it will work on the android platform.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 11-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #62

Just another distraction! When I first started full timing I had to have a Silverleaf. That was 4 years ago and used it about 6 or 7 times
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:51 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Just another distraction! When I first started full timing I had to have a Silverleaf. That was 4 years ago and used it about 6 or 7 times
It certainly can be a distraction just like your GPS or cell phone. Properly monitor it can be very helpful. Perhaps FL420 would be interested in buying yours.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
Old 11-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #64

38K miles in 3 years w/o issue. Mine will go with the rig when I sell.
Co pilot deals with the GPS and cell phone.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scangauge