Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
If you buy a SilverLeaf I hope it serves you well and you really enjoy it but please remember this at all times: Drive The Frickin' Motorhome!
As a retired Airbus pilot you're aviation comments are well founded. I remember the Airbus axiom Unintended Consequences and Loss of Situation Awareness. Human factors is still transitioning from the mechanical analog days to the electronic displays of today. I doubt they'll get it right before the pilot is replaced.

But the Silverleaf can't really be compared to that. There is no input required as you're driving. Once setup, it is an information only display.

I think my aviation background helped me in designing my display. I have the 6 most pertinent engine monitoring parameters grouped in one small corner with only a color code to display it's condition. A quick look at that corner and if all dots are green I'm good to go. Other area's of the screen display the digital values but I don't usually look at them. I would of course if one of the dot's turned yellow or red.

Personally in the future I think a Silverleaf like display will replace the analog gauges we have today. It will simply come down to money. Analog gauges cost more money to make and install. Plus the "cool" factor.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #44

I got deeply interested in ergonomics and especially human factors engineering as a student of one of the leading men in the field. His name is Wesley E. Woodson and he was teaching at USC's Institute of Safety and Systems Management. His books are top notch and easy to read.

A couple of us got together and designed a mockup and wrote a paper on replacing the analog displays of the A-4 instrument panel with a glass cockpit. We got a good grade from him but more importantly learned a great deal.

There is a helluva lot involved in making something extremely complex look extremely easy. I don't want to insult anyone, especially since my FIL retired as a Master Gunnery Sergeant and my middle son is a Marine but...
there is an old saying about the goal when designing equipment or writing manuals is to do it so the dumbest Marine can understand it.

Come to think of it, that may be just an old Navy saying.😎
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
FL420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:30 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
An Android version of SilverLeaf would open up the possibility of running it on a Android head unit.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #46

I have both the scanguage and silverleaf. My old eyes can't read the scanguage easily as I'm driving down the highway. It now resides in the tool box unused.
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishman View Post
I have both the scanguage and silverleaf. My old eyes can't read the scanguage easily as I'm driving down the highway. It now resides in the tool box unused.
Is it for a gas or diesel? I would like one for my gas toad that has an OBD II connector.
2005 Monaco Knight 40PLQ; Cummins 8.3L ISC330, Pacbrake, Allison 3000, Roadmaster RR8R, ScanGauge D, 2004 Kawasaki Vulcan VN750(Geezer Glide) on a Versahaul carrier pulling a 2013 Kia Soul+; 2.0L, 6 speed Sport shifter(great car) on an American Car Dolly(great dolly.)
Old 02-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #48

Diesel
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildirishman View Post
Diesel
Thanks. I'm sure it would go fast on C'list or eBay.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:41 AM   #50

My Silverleaf small screen is now 15 years old. It came with the coach. It has tranny temp and psi plus a number of other functions. I normally use it for information when driving the coach on water temp, what gear it is in, oil pressure, turning on genny, and so on. Mine is a very simple read out system. A few years back one of the Silverleaf folks was at a rally I went to. He came over and checked out our system and said it worked fine and nothing wrong. It is on our dash as a small square box to the right of the steering wheel.

I recommend it highly. I like simple electronics that do not go bad quickly. I don't know what you are talking about needing a tablet to use Silverleaf. I don't have to do that. Call Silverleaf in Oregon and talk to them directly if you need more info.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:44 PM   #51
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just acquired a 1991 American Eagle, Spartan Chassis, with a Cummins C8.3L, 300HP engine. There are a number of mechanical and chassis issues that are in need of attention. One is the fact that the speedometer reads 120MPH (sitting still, moving, even with the engine off) and the digital odometer displays all dashes instead of any digits (with power on). Also, the generator hour meter displays all dashes when the generator is running.

Instead of repairing the dashboard, maybe I could update the coach with a Silverleaf system instead? How do I determine if a Silverleaf system will work with my old engine and coach? Also, from the posted photos it does appear that MPH and odometer readings are available on the display. i tried looking around the Silverleaf website, but could not locate an answer. I thought I would ask here since there are a lot of satisfied Silverleaf users participating in this thread.

Thanks!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:48 AM   #52

Call Silverleaf!

My laptop folds over to work as a tablet. I have it situated so the screen covers the instrument panel. The computer screen shows everything the instrument panel does and much more.

Call Silverleaf to find out if your coach is compatible with their system.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #53

We purchased the ScangaugeD mostly because a few of our gauges quit working. A few meaning, Speedo, Volts, Oil Pressure, and temp. Since I really only was looking for the ability to monitor 4 gauges the ScangaugeD fit the bill. It does do other things as others have mentioned and I know that they are there. The do make a Scanguage for gas, just drop the D. I was able to get my ScangaugeD for about $90. It was on sale at Advance Auto and I also had a retailmenot coupon for $40 off
BUB1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:50 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
I just acquired a 1991 American Eagle, Spartan Chassis, with a Cummins C8.3L, 300HP engine.
The Silverleaf and ScanGauge get their information from the Engine Computer (ECM) via a data link. I believe your Cummins is a "mechanical" engine and does not have a computer.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:22 PM   #55

If Silverleaf will work with your coach, by all means go that route. I’d be lost without it!
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:48 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL420 View Post
I chose the ScanGauge D for my older coach based primarily on my high utility for money (I don't have as much as I think I need) and my firm belief in the KISS principle. I have not been disappointed in my decision.

I mounted the screen on Velcro right above my shift pad where it's easy to see and reach. The connector is under the dash above my left knee. Plug and play. It took me longer to get it out of the box than to get it up and running.

My main objections to the SilverLeaf, which I am sure is a marvelous product, is that it provides more information than I need at a higher price than I need to pay to buy it, fix it or replace it when, not if, it fails. All that capability can be a distraction and it takes up too much space.
!
Thanks, FL420.

You summed up quite nicely why I decided to go with the ScanGaugeD. I also like your idea for locating the unit as I was contemplating how I could run the cable up through the dash to mount up there.

Also, thanks to all of the other posters. Even though I went with the ScanGaugeD, your comments were very helpful in aiding my decision-making.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scangauge