Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #1

Scary leaning around the corners

I'm getting a little scared driving my 2005 Fleetwood Revolution (DP) if there's any kind of sideways slant or excessive crowning on the road. It seems to want to lean way to the left if the road on the left side of the vehicle is the slightest bit lower (such as turning left off a crowned road into a campground). I know to keep the heavy cargo and groceries stored low, so that's not it. Alas, both slides are on the driver's side, but don't know how much that would affect things while driving (i.e., retracted). Tire pressure is in spec at all 6 tires, but I do have one mismatch; the passenger front is a WestLake while all 5 others are Goodyear G-RV (some moron left a tent stake in the road at a campsite and it punctured the RF tire and no Wingfoot commercial dealer in the area).

Does anybody have an idea why this leaning would be occurring? I've had the front suspension checked, and there's nothing reported wrong. Or is this just a quirk of this model? I should mention the scary leaning was happening before I had the puncture when all 6 tires were Goodyears.
apavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 12:45 PM   #2

Consider Super Steer motion control units to reduce sway and side rock. You must buy the correct units, determined by your axle ratings and air line size.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #3

I have a 1996 Itasca Sunrise 31rq on a Ford F53 chassis. I had a 1200 mile white knuckled drive across the mid-west last April. The wires and 18 wheelers just tossed me around so badly my neck hurt when I got home. The roll and sway was so bad the left rear dragged pulling out of a gas station with a sloped drive.

My fix, new Bilstein shocks, new rear sway bar bushings and a set of Firestone ride-rite air bags front and rear. I drove it 3000 miles last week. Half of it on the same route through the mid-west. It was unbelievable how well it handled. It tracked straight and I could hold a solid line with little effort. I barely felt cross winds in the open flat lands. The only annoying thing I had was a bobbling feeling behind some of the tractor trailers. I think most of the improvement came from the ride-rites.

Good luck sorting out your handling problem.

John.
FrankenHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by apavlin View Post
I'm getting a little scared driving my 2005 Fleetwood Revolution (DP) if there's any kind of sideways slant or excessive crowning on the road. It seems to want to lean way to the left if the road on the left side of the vehicle is the slightest bit lower (such as turning left off a crowned road into a campground). I know to keep the heavy cargo and groceries stored low, so that's not it. Alas, both slides are on the driver's side, but don't know how much that would affect things while driving (i.e., retracted). Tire pressure is in spec at all 6 tires, but I do have one mismatch; the passenger front is a WestLake while all 5 others are Goodyear G-RV (some moron left a tent stake in the road at a campsite and it punctured the RF tire and no Wingfoot commercial dealer in the area).

Does anybody have an idea why this leaning would be occurring? I've had the front suspension checked, and there's nothing reported wrong. Or is this just a quirk of this model? I should mention the scary leaning was happening before I had the puncture when all 6 tires were Goodyears.
I don't know about the leaning issue, I would suspect weight and worn suspension. What I do know is that mismatched front tires are dangerous. You should have matched tires on each axle but especially the front.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #5

Is this your first motorhome? Has it done this since you bought it?

I'm just wondering if nothing is really wrong but it's just the fact that you're not used to a 'motorhome feeling' as you're sitting up high and it feels like that when making turns. It shouldn't be an exaggerated slant though. That would be unusual.

Hope that's the case and that nothing is wrong.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like new shocks are needed!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Sounds like new shocks are needed!
I'll second that motion.

I put a set of Konis on the front and made a huge improvement in handing.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:20 PM   #8

i put new shocks on my '97 london aire. made a huge difference.. but they didnt change my steering shock..so i had that done a few months later and that made the wander in higher winds much better..
Old 08-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #9

If it has air suspension it could be something going on with the air bags / ride height.

What Chassis is this Coach on?
jblondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #10

If it has air suspension it could be something going on with the air bags / ride height.

What Chassis is this Coach on?
jblondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tire air psi will surprise you how much it makes it sway even in a straight line !!!

if you have G rated tires and it calls for H or the psi is just too low.... that will do it !
Old 08-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have sway bars, check the mounting bolts to make sure nothing is loose or missing. Sway bars are the primary too, to control sway.

Jake
Retired-Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:48 PM   #13

Thanks for all the suggestions.

In response to some of the requests for clarification: I obtained the Fleetwood used from my father after he had owned it for nine years. He and my bro-in-law weren't particularly fanatical about doing maintenance, so upon taking over ownership, I found a ton of issues (for example, I'm getting a mile per gallon better mileage since doing proper routine maintenance like oil and filter changes and replacing all the tires). I actually did have a suspension problem pop up recently; the air ride control linkage on the front actually fell off (the rubber bushings at the link ends were worn away with age). This was a rude surprise, and I made sure to have the shop inspect everything in the suspension (including the other linkages, front and back) when replacing the linkage. Interestingly enough, the mechanic asked if it was riding high enough when he brought it back from the post-repair test drive, but the dragging noise was just the cruddy stretched-out rear mudflap aka road grader that Fleetwood equipped the vehicle with (since discarded and replaced).

So, I would not be surprised if the shocks were worn out; they're still the factory shocks after 65,000 miles (48,000 when I first acquired it), and this bus has been driven on logging roads for hundreds of miles before I got it.

The chassis is a 2004 Freightliner Custom Chassis for motorhomes (don't know the exact chassis model number) with the raised frame beams running down the center of the vehicle (through the top center of the baggage compartments).
apavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ride height may also need adjusting along with new shocks. If it was mine i would take it to Freightliner, choice would be Gaffney SC, or at least a good Oasis Freightliner shop and have the chassis checked out completely. Worth it for safety as well as ride.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote