Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #1

Screen Door Slide

My plastic screen door slide (P series type) cracked and I have it duct taped together. I'm having trouble finding a replacement that has enough depth to clear the lever type handle on my main door.
I assume that there are lots of RVs out there that have the lever handle versus the pull type handle on the RV door and that all of those would also require the extra depth on the screen door slide.
I can go to the RV manufacturer and pay 3 times what it's worth but I'm wondering if anyone knows where I might source a replacement.
Thanks!
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #2

There was another thread on this subject a few days ago. Take the broken one (or measurements) to a glass shop and get a piece of Lexan cut to fit.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

If you don't want to have one custom made, you can also take a look at Amazon or Ebay and maybe luck out.

I do know that you can order from Amazon, or one of their vendors, a number of screen door sliders from a variety of manufacturers. Ebay will also have a similar selection. Have you looked at all the manufacturer's web sites to see if you can narrow down the exact replacement you need?

Here are the ones on Amazon:

Camco

Valterra

Dexter

Lippert

Atwood (this one fits many screen doors Winnebago uses and I'm sure some other manufacturers do too)

Valterra P-series on Ebay

What is the make and model of your motorhome? Do you know if your screen door is made by Atwood? ...or some other manufacturer?

Also, I did run into a post on another forum from somebody who was in the exact situation as you describe and what he did was to just purchase the one that fit the space and even though it wasn't deep enough to clear the handle, made sure he didn't shut the door when the slider was in the closed position. He made just had to remind himself to slide it to the open position whenever he wanted to shut the door.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My entry door was made by Hehr and has the lever on the inside. The slider is white on our screen door.

Pelland Enterprises Motor Home Products - RV Windows
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
My entry door was made by Hehr and has the lever on the inside. The slider is white on our screen door.

Pelland Enterprises Motor Home Products - RV Windows
Thanks for this. It is about as close as I've ever gotten but not quite the right dimensions. Plus, the depth in mine is 1-5/8" versus the 1" in your example and that is the challenge!
Old 08-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1439391359.663367.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	102993is this the one you need. If so I have to send you info when I get home tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 08-15-2015, 05:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Attachment 102993is this the one you need. If so I have to send you info when I get home tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
That doesn't look like mine but it certainly appears to have the depth! Mine measures 11-3/4" high by 11-5/8" along the sliding edge.
If yours is close to that let me know.
Thanks!
Old 09-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Maritimer, did you ever find a resolve? I am in exactly the same predicament.
I ordered a clear Camco on Amazon but I can through that in the trash now....not enough depth for lever handle on door.

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #9

The one pictured looks like a Midwest plastics #132082 01 03A about $11.00 to 13.00 bucks.
plus shipping
Good luck
TJ

I just ordered one, now if anyone has advice on best way to install please let me know.
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 05:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm in the same boat. I finally wound up using a shallow one and cut a notch in it for the handle to stick through.

I had no idea it was going to be a pain to find a new one or I would have glued the original one back together.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:19 AM   #11

I did get one. I tried everywhere and couldn't find the right combination of depth and size. Ended up getting one direct from the manufacturer (Triple E in Canada). Not the cheapest route but at least it's fixed.
For what it's worth the replacement has "Dexter" printed on it and fits perfectly.
Old 09-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

I need help please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'm in the same boat. I finally wound up using a shallow one and cut a notch in it for the handle to stick through.

I had no idea it was going to be a pain to find a new one or I would have glued the original one back together.
i also had to order a new slider thanks to someone leaning on it and popped it out and cracked it. So I got the new one just like the one pictured in this thread but I cannot get it installed in the tracks. It will not bend enough to make the top and bottom go in the tracks. Can you please tell me how to get it installed? I tried taking the screws out of the top bar but that was useless.
Thanks, Peggy
Rendon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
i also had to order a new slider thanks to someone leaning on it and popped it out and cracked it. So I got the new one just like the one pictured in this thread but I cannot get it installed in the tracks. It will not bend enough to make the top and bottom go in the tracks. Can you please tell me how to get it installed? I tried taking the screws out of the top bar but that was useless.
Thanks, Peggy
Peggy,
You'll have to measure the opening, or the old slider and then carefully cut off the excess plastic from either the top or the bottom. I used a heavy tin snips to cut mine.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendon View Post
Thanks, Peggy
I had a heck of a time getting mine in too. All the mom's in the neighborhood took their kids inside until I got it done.

I like mevman's idea of filing it off a bit.

Pound to fit, paint to match is the old carpenters solution.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, scr, slide