Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #1

Screen Room, The Good The Bad and the Ugly?

I am would like to purchase and install a Patio Screen Room on my 2007 Georgie Boy Pursuit. I see that there are many different types and manufactures at various price ranges available, but I would like to know what to look for and lookout for as well as which one would be considered the best in terms of durability and build quality. If you have any experience with these add on awning rooms I would like to hear from you.

As always thanks to all you experts.

Regards
Stu
TireSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2015, 12:53 PM   #2

We've have always used a separate screen room. We have a 10' x 10' Coleman now. Very sturdy.

Advantage is we can place it anywhere and don't have to take it down if we decide to drive or move the RV. Goes up and down in a few minutes. Also have a couple of the optional solid sides for it to cut the wind if necessary. Usually wind up putting it over a picnic table. Has zippers on two sides and can be tied back to have it open.

We actually have two as I frequently use them both together when I'm doing antique shows. Gives me a 20' x 10' sun and rain shelter.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:27 AM   #3

Screen Room.

Thanks so much for the reply. We have considered this option but DW likes the fact of stepping out of the MH into a screen room and not having to walk out across the wet grass in the morning to enjoy her first cup of tea.

I like that option for inclosing the picnic table for meals away from the motor home. I have done a lot of research and it appears that Carefree of Colorado is one of the better bolt on rooms. I think we will go in that direction.

Again Thanks for the input.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Can't help you with your questions but the ugly thing that happened to me is I had a screen room and had to take it down during a wind/rain storm. Very strong winds would, I think, have destroyed it and possibly caused damage to the RV. If you are in an area that does not have these overnight storms the extra covered area is great.

As mentioned above I also have a smaller free standing one that I put over the picknic table - worked well on a trip to Alaska keeping flies & mosquitoes away.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:17 AM   #5

Never though of the extra work having to take the screen room attached to the awning off at night. I frequently roll my awning up at night in case of wind or storms. Having the screen room attached would be a PIA. The stand alone is very sturdy and seldom needs to be taken down.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:16 AM   #6

Cool Carefree was our choice... screen 'room'

I had the same thoughts about needing a 'screen room' when we started RV full-timing last August(2014 Palazzo 33.3 DP)...

I found the carefree awning screen and side blockers to work very well.
(photos). You'll have to order the correct screen for your awning length.

I actually keep my main screen permanently attached to my main awning, it rolls up with the awning when we get ready to go.

The side blockers create the ends of the 'room', mainly for privacy. I can easily remove these when packing up, or, in the case of potential high winds, I can choose to detach only the awning end connection when I roll up the main awning, leaving the coach end still attached.

If staying somewhere for some time, I will deploy all of these screens and anchor them to the ground. This also helps if wind does catch the awning.
If staying somewhere for only a short time, I may only deploy the main awning and shade and not even anchor it.(photo)

This setup might not provide the ultimate 'mosquito/bug' type protection, but we've found that privacy is actually our most concern. Since the side blockers aren't always used, it also provide a lot of flexibility in your setup.

The TURNERS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	main awning.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	629.8 KB
ID:	87779  
Attached Images

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #7

Got mine on Ebay, Yea it can be a pain, but when I need it its very nice to have, don't always need it and it's takes two to set up, oh, it's a add a room, so it has panels or screens or a combination
Old 03-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #8

Thank you all for your input and photos. I have ordered the Vacation r from Carefree of Colorado and I am very much looking forward to this added luxury to our trips. Can't wait for the season to begin,so many new things for us this year. We now have a toad to pull and we will have the screen room to look forward to.

Again Thanks for all your comments and replies.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #9

Our way of extending the awning area

Amazing how much more spacious the patio feels with this method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gananoque-20140624-00158.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	381.5 KB
ID:	87975  
Old 03-08-2015, 06:43 AM   #10

We use our freestanding for no bugs. Necessary for Springtime and night in the woods around here. Looks like those that attach to the awning won't work for that and are only for privacy?
Old 03-08-2015, 06:54 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have seen five or six shade and screen tents go to the dumpster after a wind storm. Count us in with that tally. They range from $50 to a couple hundred I would guess. Think what your awning costs to replace before attaching anything that can't be removes quickly. If you are in a spot that is sheltered from the wind and the room and awning anchored down well then it would be a nice addition.

We put our awning with a shade extension up most every day but if we leave the site or at night, in it goes.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I have seen five or six shade and screen tents go to the dumpster after a wind storm. Count us in with that tally. They range from $50 to a couple hundred I would guess.
I went through and tossed a few different pop-ups using them at shows before I wound up with the Colemans. Had those for several years now. There is a huge difference in quality between brands and I have found higher price is not necessarily higher quality. Have seen a few awnings torn off RV's that were left open also.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Can't help you with your questions but the ugly thing that happened to me is I had a screen room and had to take it down during a wind/rain storm....
I have actively used Add A Rooms/screen rooms ever since one came standard with my 2004 Fleetwood Niagara Folding Trailer, (PopUp).

I have installed the Carefree of Colorado Patio/screen rooms on a 5er, a Fleetwood Pace Arrow, and a Winnebago Vista.

The thing about screen rooms is that they prevent heavy winds from getting underneath the awning. The awning catching the wind like a sail, is what causes the damage. If you batten down the hatches, (so to speak), during a stong windstorm, the screen room and the awning will very easily weather the storm.

I always used appropriate stakes for sand, soft dirt, or hard clay. I also used an appropriate number of ropes or nylon strapping to secure the awning and tenting. Never had any problems in wind, rain, or snow, (had to constantly sweep off snow from awning).

The new automatic/electric awnings used on motorhomes are high, and have less pitch than the older manual styles. Carefully look at the specifications of the patio/screen room to make sure the side panels will reach the ground.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:03 AM   #14

More great replies,Thanks so much.

I know that there is a good side (Bug Free) and Bad side (Big Winds) to having a screen room attached to your awning. But I think the extra work of having to take it down quickly is not much of an issue if you want to enjoy the outdoors. I live in Manitoba where the provincial bird is the Mosquito and I myself refuse to be held captive inside my RV. I like to sit out in the morning sun and enjoy a coffee and the fresh air. But the only time you can do that is when you have a brisk wind to keep the bugs away. I think that if I follow the advice of experts here who have provided me with great input and if I secure the room down properly I will be just fine.

Thanks Again to all.

Tags
scr