Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #1

Sealing vents and skylights

Hello Everyone,

My my father has had a lot of issues as of late with his 03 fleetwood soutwind with regards to water getting in from the vents and skylights. It's seems like anytime he takes it into have it sealed, it doesn't get perfectly sealed and water gets in and stains the ceiling.

This got me to thinking about my RV. I have a 16 Winnebago Vista which was purchased in December of 2015. I've yet to re-seal the vents and skylights and to be honest I hate to pull all the caulking if it's still doing it's job.

How often do you re-caulk? Every few years? Could having the fiberglass roof vs.the more flexible roofs provide a longer weather proof life? I'm confident it will get me through this season but wondering how long I should risk it beyond?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2017, 03:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sealing vents and skylights

I have a 2013 Sunstar (Same as Vista) and I have yet to need to reseal the skylight and vents. I check them every 6 months when I clean the roof. On the other hand, I have had to reseal where the fiberglass meets the sidewalls. Lichtsinn RV has a great video on how to do this.
https://youtu.be/BJz7doxPQXg
Best of luck to you in your RV travel and maintenance!
Old 03-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #3

My roof is almost 10 years old, I have filled in any sealant cracks with dicor sealant about 3 years ago, so far no leaks.

I don't believe you need to scrape off old sealant just fill in cracks.

Tags
light, lights, seal, vent