Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 01:34 PM   #1

Searching for a Class A: Putty in Your Hands...

Guys - 10 months ago I sold my 5th wheel. It was not in great shape, but it served me well while I had it. But now, I want to replace it with a Class A.

I'm hoping for some general guidance from you guys. You guys were always helpful to me for previous camper info. Here's what I'm aiming for.

• I want a (lightly as possible) used Class A, diesel pusher.
  • Up to about 12 years old (due to cost).
  • I don't strongly prefer Cummins or Cat.
  • I would prefer 2 slide-outs, but 1 would suffice.
  • I will lean toward less than 50,000 miles.
  • And a $50,000 price tag prior to negotiation.
  • I've heard, but don't know the fact of the matter that one with a side discharge radiator fan is marginally better. But those must be later models. I'm not seeing those in the price range I'm perusing.
What I'm interested in is what you guys believe to be the most reliable models and ones that may tend to hold their values better, combined with the most user satisfaction.

Thanks. I'm going to go peruse the forums now, reading and learning!

JyRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 07:48 PM   #2

You should be able to find a Newmar Dutch Star of that vintage that would suit your requirements.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:56 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It is a long distance, but this one represents a good value for quality rig. I have nothing to do with the listing I just saw today and was going to use it as a reply to someone starting out.

1998 Beaver Marquis Diesel Pusher
Old 11-07-2016, 08:59 PM   #4

Look for a 2000 era Country Coach.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryvan View Post
It is a long distance, but this one represents a good value for quality rig. I have nothing to do with the listing I just saw today and was going to use it as a reply to someone starting out.

1998 Beaver Marquis Diesel Pusher
The Monaco quality is there in that Beaver, however that era Beavers had high gloss cabinets and the gloss fades to a milky glaze. But they are solid cherry wood and can be sanded and clear coated to restore the factory finish. Very high grade cabinetry. Again the quality is there and the $ is right if all checks out.
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #6

Oh wow. You guys really know your s--- ... stuff.

That is right up the alley of what I'm considering. The engine in that sucker is MORE than what I was expecting. 430 hp!

I have, and have had a Dodge Ram Cummins since 2000. The engine has been nothing but a reliable workhouse. Slightly modded. But even at where I have it (~330 hp / 775 ft-lbs), I wonder if it may be a little anemic in a 35 - 40 foot RV. 430 hp would be much better ... I think.

And Auburn is not but a short ride away for me. I may check into that RV.
[On edit - That's Auburn, CA. I thought it was Auburn, AL. Yep, that's a bit of a ride! ]

Keep the suggestions coming (but not necessary to actually find a rig like that for me, although that is just amazing how easy you guys make it seem ), I have a lot to learn.

I have been looking at Monaco's, Newmar's, and Damon's. How are the Damon's? They look nice and modern, even in the 2004 range, but I am unaware of the quality of them.

Thanks guys!

JyRO

JyRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

I would look at Newmar, Country Coach and Tiffin.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 12:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
RVTrader.com: RV Sales - Class A, B, C Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, & Pop Up Camper RVs For Sale

Texas RV Dealers, Texas Motor Home Dealers

The internet is your friend... Trying to find the best rv for you in your local area can be very difficult, broaden your search, buy and fly. ( after professional inspections)
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a