Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2022, 09:22 AM   #1

Searching for loan for 2006 Dolphin

I am searching for a lender to finance a 2006 Dolphin MH, but my contacts so far do not make loans for used motorhomes that old. Any references for a anyone who does? Thank you in advance. Desert P
DesertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2022, 09:26 AM   #2

We financed our ‘02 last year without issue at our credit union.

But there are so many factors that go into what risk a creditor wants to take when it comes to making a loan, and it’s not just what the money is intended for.
Old 05-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #3

Loan for Dolphin

Would you mind sharing the name of your credit union?
Old 05-18-2022, 02:21 PM   #4

I have a list of institutions that used to finance RVs up to 15 years old but most have a hard cut-off at 15 years. More typical will be in that 10 to 12 year old limit. However, on that list is LightStream where they used to have no age limit so you might want to check with them if all else fails ...they will charge higher interest rates, of course, but do not require collateral the last I checked but will require a good credit rating.

LightStream RV loans and refinancing

Nerdwallet review of LightStream

Yes, some credit unions will make exceptions and/or have other requirements ...such as you may have to have an established relationship with them. And of course, there are personal dynamics that will play into being qualified for a loan like your credit score, and general financial status. So if you do have a credit union you have been using for a long time, check with them first.

Some have used their home to take a line of credit to finance an RV --HELOC, etc.-- but I personally would not want to use my home equity for a line of credit on an older motorhome that is continuing to depreciate and will require heaps of money to maintain.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 06:29 AM   #5

Loan for 2006 Dolphin

Thank you for your input. I appreciate your time and information offered.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:26 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For that age RV you will probably have to get a personal loan from your regular bank and the interest rate will not be low.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 08:47 AM   #7

Equity

We got our 2004 Lapalma last year when rates were still low. Took a Heloc loan out against our house. Interest rates are still low compared to conventional loans. If you have any decent equity in your home you should be fine. The average price of homes has sky rocketed. Yours could be worth more than you think. Just another good option. Good Luck.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:17 PM   #8

Most RV sales divisions have a list of lenders that will finance that old, interest rate will be excessive IMO.
I did it that way, when we got it home we refinanced our house loan to pay off that RV lender. Then we doubled our monthly payments until the MH loan amount was repaid.
If you cannot do that every month, I discourage you from that venture. You are putting your home at risk otherwise.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolphin