Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to disup
I know that the current "policy" limits obligation of Winnebago to second owners BUT after hearing how other manufacturers seem to bend over backwards ie(Tiffin) I question the confidence of the manufacturers to their products using this as an excuse not to correct a problem. Do they warranty their product or only the original owner? I did have a problem this summer at Forest City where they used that second owner excuse. The Service Tech was uncooperative and arrogant not good PR.
disup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know that the current "policy" limits obligation of Winnebago to second owners BUT after hearing how other manufacturers seem to bend over backwards ie(Tiffin) I question the confidence of the manufacturers to their products using this as an excuse not to correct a problem. Do they warranty their product or only the original owner? I did have a problem this summer at Forest City where they used that second owner excuse. The Service Tech was uncooperative and arrogant not good PR.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Most manufacturers build about 10% of their profit into warranty claim issues. THey also include a clause (escape) of "original owner" into the warranty as well. Some and Tiffin is a very good company that will warranty the product even to non original owners. The issue you had with a tech is just bad customer relations and the tech needs to be trained and reprimanded for poor manners.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #4

To me it sounds like the Tech was doing what he was told to do. As owners we should not be putting the tech into this type of situation. If we don't like the policy, we should go to management with our concerns, not get in the face of a working guy doing what he was told to do.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:50 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
What type of problem are you having? We are also second owners, and found our local dealer supportive, and Forest City extremely helpful. We haven't had any major problems, though.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 AM   #6

I think the small things you may not have a problem with as a 2nd owner. Its the time consuming bigger money repairs they may not want to do.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:34 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
All of above comments add great creditability as to why the RV industry has such a BAD reputation for customer service.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:08 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
I seriously doubt if that 'tech' is going to be repremanded for anything..IMHO

Callsign: KD8W
hamdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am a second owner of two Winnebago products. A '98 Minnie Winnie and now an '05 Journey and I have had nothing but excellant support from the dealer AND Winnebago. Just luck I guess.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just returned from a local trip thus the delay in responding to everyone who took the time to respond and or sympathize with us second owners with problems. The unbelievable end to my story is that I did take the time to write to Mr.Hertzke Winnie Pres and would you believe that my letter was given to the SAME tech that I had the problem with. In the tech's response to me he still was not able to even offer an small apology to me . I still can't believe a big Corp. would forward a customer complaint to the offending employee and allow them to respond. It certainly changed me and my wife's view of Winnebago's customer relations or lack of.
Old 12-16-2007, 05:38 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by disup:
I just returned from a local trip thus the delay in responding to everyone who took the time to respond and or sympathize with us second owners with problems. The unbelievable end to my story is that I did take the time to write to Mr.Hertzke Winnie Pres and would you believe that my letter was given to the SAME tech that I had the problem with. In the tech's response to me he still was not able to even offer an small apology to me . I still can't believe a big Corp. would forward a customer complaint to the offending employee and allow them to respond. It certainly changed me and my wife's view of Winnebago's customer relations or lack of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sorry but you really have not given us much to go on. You asked for a unamed item to be fixed for free even though you are not the original owner having purchased a used motorhome.

What was the problem?
Did the tech go so far as to swear at you?
Were you rude to him first?
Could this problem have been caused by improper use or maintenance on the part of the original owner?
Did you name the offending tech when you wrote to Mr. Hertzke?

A good story has details such as who, what, when, where and why. You have left off the most important part, what the actual problem was that you were trying to get taken care of at no charge and why you felt that this free service should have been extended to you.

I can understand that you are upset but you are asking us to rush in and villify without the providence to make such a determination.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #12

Please note:
When you buy used, there is a reason the previous owner got rid of the motorhome.
I have a word for buying used (although I always buy used) You get a south Georga gurantee; that is as follows----when it breaks you own ---all---the pieces.
It's always like this---you bought it; its yours; good or bad.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #13

I bought a used Newmar privately and had no issues with getting Warranty, mostly little things but Newmar did put in a brand new Norcold four door Fridge!!!

Rick
Old 04-12-2009, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude View Post
I bought a used Newmar privately and had no issues with getting Warranty, mostly little things but Newmar did put in a brand new Norcold four door Fridge!!!

Rick
sometimes you win---most times you don't.
Unless the warrenty is transferable; I wouldn't count on second owner free repairs from the manufactor. as always---no harm in asking.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote