Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2022, 08:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
This is where a good GPS is worth its weight in gold. Mine gives me a lane change advisory several miles in advance, far before the roads signs are visible. I always try to position in the desired lane early to avoid a last minute lane change panic.
GPS helps. But some left hand exits are literally 1/2 mile from your last exit. No way to get a longer warning…
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2022, 01:10 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I use my turn signal because that switches the camera to only that lane. I use that to be sure someone isn't in my blind spot.

However, I've always found the person with the more expensive vehicle will yield to the other vehicle. So, you just need to pick your "opponent".

Sent from my SM-G973U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 08-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #31
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Change lanes assertively, speed up while making the pass, I use the camera to make sure the toad is clear (because I can't see it in the mirror) then use the mirror to move over. I also only get into the left lane if it is necessary or to pass a super slow vehicle in my lane when a right lane pass isn't available. Once I'm moving over if they get next to me it's their problem not mine.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:03 PM   #32

I found out, while driving on the left coast, that I'm number 1. At least that's how many fingers they hold up when I try to change lanes.

Richard
Old 08-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
I found out, while driving on the left coast, that I'm number 1. At least that's how many fingers they hold up when I try to change lanes.

Richard
And after all those years driving a tractor trailer, I though I was the #1 Driver! LOL

And to those who wonder why a Motor Home needs to be in the left Lane? Last time I checked, I pay taxes on all the lanes so I like to check on my investment every now and then.

I have NEVER seen an operator's manual that describes the left lane of the interstate as a "Speeder's lane". It is a Through traffic lane, with the center lane being for local traffic and the far right for exiting/entering the highway. It is only in the past few year's, this Me, Me, Me mentality has somehow taken over Common sense.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 05:34 PM   #34
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
An old trucker saying....he with the most lug nuts wins!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #35

For many years I used to drive a tractor towing a large wing mower back and forth to all our facilities at work - up to 5 days a week, several facilities a day. Some were close together in town, and a few others several miles away down roads with a 50mph speed limit. My top speed was about 12mph. Here's what I learned. It applies to driving an RV.

Other than finding a nice safe place to pull out and let backed up traffic pass, I learned not to be nice. Don't hug the right shoulder to give room for people to pass because more often than not, they'll wait until the last minute and fly by, pulling it to avoid a head on with an oncoming vehicle while nearly clipping my rig. I learned very quickly just how foolish people can be.

Two. Decide, commit and move. Use firm decisive vehicle body language. Don't waffle, or hesitate. When you decide to move over, just do it, in one smooth continual motion. People see your hesitation and make stupid decisions like, "Oh, looks like he's merging! I don't want to be behind him! Time to PASS!!!"

Three. always, yes always, assume that the last thing people want is to be behind you and they will do stupid things to prevent it. I love the old X-Files tag line: "Trust No One."

When I first started doing that job I was way too nice to people, and I had WAY more close calls. I've even had people darned near bump their right tires up on the curb in order to pass me on the right, before the lane ran out because I left room for them to do so. One I learned is to not be nice, things were way safer that way. Don't be a jerk, but be firm, own your section of the road.

My wife still tells me when it's time to start moving over to turn my signal on to let people know I want to change lanes, in the theory that they'll be nice and let me in. WRONG! In practice, what this does is tell people it's time to speed up and get past you because they don't want to be in behind you. Yes, I signal, but only just before I'm moving over, and when I start to move, I decide, commit, and move. I still do it safely, but firmly, and the vast majority of the time that's what works best. If it isn't safe, and the idiot behind me is being stupid, even if I end up missing an important exit, I won't cause an accident because of it, I'll just take the next available exit, turn around and go back.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
....... It is a Through traffic lane, with the center lane being for local traffic and the far right for exiting/entering the highway. .......
I noticed this driving south through Las Vegas.

My son had warned me to get in the left lane early heading up the hill toward railroad pass and out of town. There would be a backup at the exits cuased by folks going 20 over the speed limit in the left lane and waiting to the last minute to head for the exit while slamming on the brakes.

Being in the right or middle lane was a dangerous place to be if you needed more stopping distance.

Sure enough, the trucks merged over early and I got behind them. We were at the speed limit and not holding up traffic.
Old 08-24-2022, 07:07 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Merging in traffic… reminds you many people aren’t accommodating.

I’ve found truckers are great. They “get it” and will make room for you, cars - not so much.

Here’s a situation I’ve already encountered twice:

I’m in the middle lane, needing to get in the left lane. I’m going 65 or so. Left lane is 70, with some folks going way over that.

You wait. I see a gap once this last car passes. Check both mirrors, check my rear view camera, next car in left lane is behind me.

I start merging left avoiding any sudden shifts.

Car that was behind in the left lane me sees I’m merging. Doesn’t slow down. If anything, speeds up?

So, I’m about 30% in the left lane. The guy in the left lane is still behind the rv, in my camera.

Now, he decides to run into the left lane next to me, partly riding the shoulder, and fly by me.

I would think, once someone has already crossed over to the left lane, the car behind you in the left lane slows down, so you can compete your merge. The guy was behind me when I started merging.

I can’t get up to 85 mph to match traffic driving 20 over the speed limit.

Usually this isn’t an issue 99% of the time. But driving through cities like Chicago…it is.

There are no “huge gaps” to merge into. And in the mirrors, you can see gaps, but you can’t judge if the guy behind you in your chosen merging lane is going 65 or 85.

So, what’s the secret?

And a finer point: in this situation if an RV/truck is already 30-50% merged into a lane, and the guy in that lane hits it because they don’t slowdown… whose at fault. And I’m assuming it’s the guy trying to merge…
This year we did 13k in trips PA to AZ, and other places.. Chicago area nasty.. IMO especally detoured thry Chinatown, gunfire in park and a chase while we took narrow roads to get the heck out.. LOL

My son drove that portion, he is Mario, thinks he is on the track with a MH.. He had it stutter, chk eng light,, meaning exceded safe speed set by OEM.. 95 when I scanned it.. He said I couldnt tke getting squeezed doing 70 .. I staye in left with traffic, thank got I was sleeping..
I drove the way back, hatted to do 80.. but I have good tires, suspenion is dialed.. no sway, camera I added helps..

No secrets but watch map on display, plan the lanes, get in it , stay til you get out etc.. exit, fuel or branch routes.. Driving at nite was best, truckers and they have a speed, work with them and life is cool..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:23 PM   #38

I apply a lesson my big rig driving FIL taught me for heavy traffic. If no openings are going to happen and you must change lanes, put on your turn signal and start crowding the line. Push over it a bit watching traffic to ensure you are not going to sideswipe someone. Yes, d1#*heads will continue to try to rush past, but it won't be long before a rational driver gives you the final room you need to complete the lane change.

If I have an opening, I aggressively take it.

Don...can't you leave your turn signal on and select the rear camera if that's the one you want?

OP...the problem with a sideswipe is the person that tried to irrationally pass a big RV half way into the lane will lie and say to pulled over into him/her. I wish I had 360 recording. I guess a forward camera would show the lane change in progress but not sure how one would prove when the hit occurred or the position of the other vehicle when the move started.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:27 PM   #39

In Japan, new drivers and aged drivers each have decals they wear on the rear of their vehicles that relieves them of responsibility for bonehead mistakes. Other drivers are required to give them room. Although, I have one on my coach, I doubt it helps in the USA.
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 01:19 AM   #40

Watch in the mirror for a bit. You should be able to tell if someone is coming up on you quickly or not.
RVM #204
Rosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
You must not drive in big cities much.
There are also times that you may need to pass much slower traffic or other situations that are on the right side.
You must only drive in the city.. If you venture out all over the country as i do you will notice its a good 99%
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 03:59 PM   #42

Generally I wait until I see an opening and then start to merge and put my blinker on as I'm coming over the line and then shut it off when I've completed the lane change. Having your blinker on and waiting for a gap is meaningless imo.