Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2019, 10:07 PM   #1

Securing a Hughes Autoformer to prevent theft

Hi folks,

I apologize if this question has been asked and answered. I've done several searches and I"m not finding the information that I need.

I recently bought a motorhome and it's going through its paces in my friends driveway (everything works!). It's a 2005 Fleetwood 26Y on the Chevy chassis.

I have a 30amp Hughes Autoformer and I'm trying to figure out how I can secure it at a campground. I'm going to a campground soon for it's first full-time test.

It's a small Class A, so it doesn't have the huge bays where I can store the autoformer inside. I'll have to leave it outside. I'm concerned about it being stolen and want to prevent that.

I'm looking for advice and suggestions on how to secure it so it doesn't grow legs and find a new home. I'd really like to keep it.

How are you securing your autoformer to prevent theft? Most of the suggestions I've read is that people are storing them in their bays - but I don't have that option.

Thanks in advance!
BoxCar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2019, 10:26 PM   #2

Here ya go. About 75 responses to your quandary.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22s...earch=irv2.com
Old 09-19-2019, 10:38 PM   #3

I secure mine with a bike lock to the pedistool. Then a waste basket to cover it from the elements.
lnicols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnicols View Post
I secure mine with a bike lock to the pedistool. Then a waste basket to cover it from the elements.

Thanks for the reply! I've seen posts of people covering their autoformers with 5 gallon buckets. I figured I'd do something similar to keep it out of the WA rain - but was also looking for ways to secure it.

I'm looking for inexpensive & clever.

A lot of people secure to the pedestal, but I'm curious if there are more creative ways to secure it closer to my motorhome. If someone is slinking around, my watch-doge will let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SashaCute01.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	260941  
Old 09-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #5

you can also move it to be "permanently" mounted in the cabinet. https://youtu.be/QKUup2AYVcc?t=346
robburns76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by robburns76 View Post
you can also move it to be "permanently" mounted in the cabinet. https://youtu.be/QKUup2AYVcc?t=346

I wish I had a big bay like that. I don't have big bays to install anything in to. My electrical bay is just big enough to hold the electrical outlet and the RV Extension cord for plugging into shore power. It's about 1 foot wide by 18 inches deep.

This is why I'm looking for some clever options on how to secure it either to the RV itself or the pedestal and keep it out of the rain.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:41 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I guess if chaining it to the parks power pedestal isn't secure enough for you, you could always crawl under your MH with it, and chain it to one of your axles
Old 09-21-2019, 05:09 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I guess if chaining it to the parks power pedestal isn't secure enough for you, you could always crawl under your MH with it, and chain it to one of your axles

Ben, I'd like to see a you tube of that.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #9

Yeah, me too !
Old 09-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post

I considered this too. I wanted to toss the question out there to see if anyone had come up with anything really clever.

They need to be elevated so they don't get into a puddle of water and they have to be covered so they don't get rained on AND they have to be secure. It's a bummer the case doesn't have all that built in.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:01 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For those who have small or no utility bay, I was thinking of ways to lock it up. The Autoformer company has their cable lock which could be wrapped around something secure underneath the rig. Or, I was trying to visualize something resembling one of those belt clips some people use for their big wad of keys. I just can't think of a way you could lock it! I did a brief search for solutions without coming up with anything easy to use. I'm physically challenged so the thought of having to squirm around on my back isn't an option.
Old 09-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #12

I think I chained mine to the pedestal the first time I used it. Since then, it sits alongside the pedestal with a plastic tub covering it to keep it dry.
I tend to stay at a little higher end parks, where the tenants are'nt wandering around at night, looking for things to steal.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #13

Last year I used the bike lock and chained mine to the power post. This year I got serious. Replaced the cord reel and re-arranged my electrical bay similar to what the RVGeeks did with the socket and plugs so I can jumper around the unit. My Progressive EMS is up top on the left wall. And, yes, its a bit tight in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	electricalbay.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	229.5 KB
ID:	261244  
riverofcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:44 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Has it become common place for RV'rs to steal each others gear?
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent