RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Securing Dual Ikea Desks to...?

Okay, we're full-timers, still working and running our own company while (slowly) restoring and modifying our 1999 Monaco Diplomat.

We removed the j-lounge and the dinette, and since were were operating on a more severe budget at the time then we are now, purchased two Idea desks, which we placed side-by-side. The area behind the front passenger Flexsteel chair, and between the edge of the front-most desk, became the entertainment center, with a 40" TV. A crude setup, but one that works well for us for now, with one caveat.

As it happens, we have tried *everything* under the sun to secure the desks while traveling short of drilling into the floor. We've tried Command strips (strong ones!), we've dried wedges, non-slip pads, etc. We're not really comfortable drilling into the existing tile floor for fear of damaging it worse than the original owners did (sadly, they trashed our coach when they owned it). Plus, we just don't know what's under the floor where the desks are, and the (current) Monaco is no help.

We've also considered an L-bracket into the wall, but we're afraid doing so might result in tearing out pieces of the wall, as they may not be strong enough to stand that kind of pressure as the coach shifts and bounces on the road..

So here we are.

How would you secure these two desks? Any ideas gladly welcomed!

P.S. For the record, in late 2017, our goal is to have a built-in wood desk and entertainment/storage area made to replace our "poor man's" solution. Yes, we're keeping our poor, abused coach But it does get better by the month!
ereadingrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Try Scotch 414/DC Extreme Mounting Tape under the table legs.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC...ywords=3m+tape
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:08 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=powercat_ras;3312571]Try Scotch 414/DC Extreme Mounting Tape under the table legs.

That is an excellent suggestion, assuming the bottom of the desk feet can accommodate tape (i.e., they're flat or not hollow). We've been dealing with the "jumping/shifting desk" syndrome for going on a year now, so we need to take another look at the bottoms of the feet.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ikea Desk Detail

Okay, we pulled out our filing cabinets and tower computers and looked more closely at the desk feet again.

These feet won't accommodate tape like that, as they are slightly curved upward in the middle. On each end, there are round "pads", but those are made with concentric circles of plastic and are not solid.

So, still stumped!

I've attached an image of our exact desk model, the Ikea Galant 13662.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #5

sandbags?
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
re: Sandbags

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
sandbags?
Hah! I *assume* you meant that seriously. Not to make fun, but I just couldn't picture a big enough sandbag to really make a difference without being kind of amusing looking.

Unfortunately, no, I don't think that would work. We just don't have the room for it, either, even if it could theoretically work. We have file cabinets, various other storage solutions, and tower computers under our desks. We need something low-profile but effective.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
The 3M tape is about 1/16" thick and compresses and you can stack up layers of it if need be. Every RVer should have some it's very handy stuff and good for interior or exterior "stick up" jobs. I still think spend $ 10 and try it, for sure it will stick to the tile floor and the bottom of the what sits on the floor.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #8

Can't tell for sure from the picture, but could you take the small round pads off the bottom of the steel legs and then tape the entire horizontal portion of the legs to the floor? If a height problem, then screw a wood 2x2 to the bottom of the horizontal leg and stick it to the floor.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereadingrv View Post
Hah! I *assume* you meant that seriously. Not to make fun, but I just couldn't picture a big enough sandbag to really make a difference without being kind of amusing looking.

Unfortunately, no, I don't think that would work. We just don't have the room for it, either, even if it could theoretically work. We have file cabinets, various other storage solutions, and tower computers under our desks. We need something low-profile but effective.
Oh but I think you may be wrong here my friend. We're not talking about sandbags you see on TV preventing a flood.

I'm a professional photographer and use sandbags all the time to secure my lighting & computer equipment. I'm providing a link here to similar sandbags that I use. Every photographer & TV production teams use these every day to secure thousands of dollars worth of lighting equipment, computer tables etc. When you buy this type of sandbag, they are basically empty canvas bags with a handle & a zippered pocket on both sides that is lined with an inner plastic bag. Then you go to HD and buy some sand (play sand, not bank sand, or in your case you could use pea gravel) and fill them about 3/4 full. Then take 2 sandbags, and put one over each center post on each end of your table. In other words, 2 sandbags/table as in your picture. Buy black ones, (however they do come in other colors) they would be discrete and "will hold that table"! Get the good ones, not the cheap ones. Cheap ones don't have a liner and will leak sand on your floor.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/S...earch=sandbags
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SandbagsTutorial-Step-Finished.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	142821  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:19 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Museum putty
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 05:01 AM   #11

I think your desks are trying to tell you that if you have even a minor collision, you are going to be wearing them on the back of your head. Previous owners had the right idea
Old 10-28-2016, 10:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
re: Museum Putty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey View Post
Museum putty
Tried it; no dice.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
I think your desks are trying to tell you that if you have even a minor collision, you are going to be wearing them on the back of your head. Previous owners had the right idea
Not sure what you mean by previous owners. But no, I don't think they're trying to tell us anything; the desks are "pinned" from front too back by the refrigerator wall on one side, and the entertainment center on the passenger seat side. When they move, it's side-to-side, toward the kitchen. Mostly, it's annoying, but it has never been unsafe outside of the minimal idea of them sliding toward the kitchen. And they don't even slide that far, just enough to be annoying.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
RE: powercat_ras

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Try Scotch 414/DC Extreme Mounting Tape under the table legs.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-414-DC...ywords=3m+tape
UPDATE...

My friend, I just wanted to take a moment to extend my thanks to you for this suggestion. The Scotch tape worked PERFECTLY! After a year-plus of trying to secure these, THIS was the solution that solved the problem.

So again, many thanks!