Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2020, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Here is one of the most sought after coaches out there, hard to find. !0k hitch and 37' with a 400 Cummins and under budget.

https://www.premierrvservices.com/20...h-allure-37-2/
2 stroker
That is a nice looking coach. Didn't know coaches under 40-foot long came with tag axles. I think, though, that the four slides would be a no from my wife, and since she is both the CEO and CFO of this operation, I need to listen to her.
WaltH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Tough to beat Newmar quality. Probably about one of the only gas rigs I'd consider myself. I've yet to see a perfect layout that works for both of us lol...not even sure if DW and I could come up with one without major conflict. We're considering a newer DP in the same length also, but have yet to find anything any better than our current ol reliable, which fortunately we both still love.
Maybe a televator with a fireplace ILO the passenger recliner could save you a ton of money.....
I'm learning a lot seeing the responses to the op. I'm new to the class A research still a lot to learn. Heck my mini plus travel trailer is only a couple years old.

I'm a couple years out from making my purchase, I realize the entire market could change by then. I did want to thank you for mentioning the newmar, I was aware of that brand and the quality associated with it but I wasn't aware they made a gasser.

I just looked at their website and I'm pretty excited about the canyon started gasser. That would be a unit or I could still get the newmar quality and get a a brand new modern coach.

like the other poster I'll probably change my mind again and then back again several times but right now that newmar canyon star looks like it would fit the ticket quite well.

I guess having a friend that owns a small trucking company, who shares his horror stories about 2-year-old semis that he purchased, than haf to sink 30 to $40,000 into the engines, has kind of scared me away from diesels.
cdoorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
I just looked at their website and I'm pretty excited about the canyon started gasser. That would be a unit or I could still get the newmar quality and get a a brand new modern coach.

like the other poster I'll probably change my mind again and then back again several times but right now that newmar canyon star looks like it would fit the ticket quite well.
The Canyon Stars are nice looking rigs. Unfortunately, they are a few feet too long for our wishes. My wife and I are agreed that we want to stay around 35-feet max, and the shortest Canyon Star is just under 38 feet. Like you, though, I suppose it is possible we'll change our minds based on what happens in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdoorider View Post
I guess having a friend that owns a small trucking company, who shares his horror stories about 2-year-old semis that he purchased, than haf to sink 30 to $40,000 into the engines, has kind of scared me away from diesels.
That would be enough to scare someone, alright. We used to own a 2006 Ford F-350 with the 6.0 Powerstroke engine that gave a lot of people, including us, problems. The first couple of years saw a number of problems, ultimately resulting in the need for a new engine block, after which it ran trouble-free. But if we had not purchased an extended warranty (it was our first and to date only diesel), we'd have been out another $7 or 8,000 for repairs instead of the $2,500 cost of the warranty.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #18

It really depends on how you plan to use it. Driving it, the DP is hands down the better choice, but once they are parked it’s not as cut and dried. Modern gas coaches, at least the higher end ones have really blurred the line as far as amenities and quality with the diesels. If my budget is a new gas coach vs a 6-10 DP, I’m buying the gas coach because I’ll spend 100 times the amount time living in it that I’ll spend driving it. I want the new appliances, the modern decor, the new tires, the shiny paint. I might be in the minority but people get too focused on that diesel chassis with the air ride suspension I’m currently in a DP because we plan to travel extensively in the next few years but once we tire of travel and get back to the occasional trip, I’ll be back in a gas coach.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #19

Roger above made some good points. You aren't going to beat a diesel for ride comfort but you're going to pay for it both in maintenance and initial purchase price. Plus your limited in your floor plan selection with a diesel under 35 ft.

I love our DP but constantly worry about something breaking on the engine and having to pay to get it fixed. That hasn't happened but it's a concern.

A new or almost new gasser should serve you well with less maintenance issues to worry about and more selection in floor plans. However as has been brought up I would research the drivability of any I was interested in, especially the issue of road wander which seems to affect some gassers.

For your info, I built a TV lift located behind a couch to avoid watching the TV above the dash. It may be able to be installed on your current coach eliminating one of the issues you have with it.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Roger above made some good points. You aren't going to beat a diesel for ride comfort but you're going to pay for it both in maintenance and initial purchase price. Plus your limited in your floor plan selection with a diesel under 35 ft.

I love our DP but constantly worry about something breaking on the engine and having to pay to get it fixed. That hasn't happened but it's a concern.

A new or almost new gasser should serve you well with less maintenance issues to worry about and more selection in floor plans. However as has been brought up I would research the drivability of any I was interested in, especially the issue of road wander which seems to affect some gassers.

For your info, I built a TV lift located behind a couch to avoid watching the TV above the dash. It may be able to be installed on your current coach eliminating one of the issues you have with it.
I suspect we'll likely stay with the idea of a gas coach, in part for some of the reasons Roger mentioned. My wife has yet to find a floor plan she is 100% in love in. Ideally, I think she'd like to combine the layout of the Fleetwood Bounder 33C with the heavier chassis of the Tiffin Open Road 32SA. I think if the Bounders had more cargo carrying capacity, she'd lean that way. Right now, no coach we've seen checks all the boxes, but we've got some time.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post

That is a novel idea, although our coach only has the one couch. Short of a complete remodel of the interior, I'm not sure we can relocate the television from its current spot.

I suspect we'll likely stay with the idea of a gas coach, in part for some of the reasons Roger mentioned. My wife has yet to find a floor plan she is 100% in love in. Ideally, I think she'd like to combine the layout of the Fleetwood Bounder 33C with the heavier chassis of the Tiffin Open Road 32SA. I think if the Bounders had more cargo carrying capacity, she'd lean that way. Right now, no coach we've seen checks all the boxes, but we've got some time.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #22

No right answer here....floor plan and travel style are perhaps the most important.... generally speaking, the DPs have more gross weight capacity so they tend to be more comfortably appointed....short trips, short stays--then the gasser is fine....long driving trips, "living" in coach for longer periods--then the comfort factor is a major consideration.
Good luck....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltH View Post
That is a novel idea, although our coach only has the one couch. Short of a complete remodel of the interior, I'm not sure we can relocate the television from its current spot.

Have owned our 2013 Tiffin 36 LA since new and still no desire to get DP. Maintenance has been oil changes. Nothing more on the chassis or generator. We have travelled across the country 3x as snowbirds and no issues. Have been able to make 90% of house repairs myself. One trip to Red Bay at the 4 year mark.
The Tiffin gas coaches will have much more outside storage than equivalent length DP.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Have owned our 2013 Tiffin 36 LA since new and still no desire to get DP. Maintenance has been oil changes. Nothing more on the chassis or generator. We have travelled across the country 3x as snowbirds and no issues. Have been able to make 90% of house repairs myself. One trip to Red Bay at the 4 year mark.
The Tiffin gas coaches will have much more outside storage than equivalent length DP.
Right now, the 32SA is at the top of our short list. The one thing my wife doesn't like about it is the split bathroom and what she perceives as being wasted space. The 34PA floor plan is better inside, but my wife and I both do not really want or need four slides or coach longer than 35-feet. Just wish we could get the 2021 brochures for the Open Road from Tiffin. It's one of a couple of models they don't have 2021 brochures for on the website.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Right now, the 32SA is at the top of our short list. The one thing my wife doesn't like about it is the split bathroom and what she perceives as being wasted space. The 34PA floor plan is better inside, but my wife and I both do not really want or need four slides or coach longer than 35-feet. Just wish we could get the 2021 brochures for the Open Road from Tiffin. It's one of a couple of models they don't have 2021 brochures for on the website.

We thought the extra bath was extravagant but would not go without now. Same for w/d. Rear bath is big so you can actually dry off with door closed. No slides on patio side is bonus as is 20’ awning. Ours is totally stock and drives fine, never feel semis, longer wheelbase helps. Much more outside storage as well.
I better stop as you will think I’m a salesman lol
Old 09-25-2020, 08:30 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
The Canyon Stars are nice looking rigs. Unfortunately, they are a few feet too long for our wishes. My wife and I are agreed that we want to stay around 35-feet max, and the shortest Canyon Star is just under 38 feet. Like you, though, I suppose it is possible we'll change our minds based on what happens in the market.
Go ahead and make the same mistake I did starting too small...it won’t be your last coach.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:46 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Go ahead and make the same mistake I did starting too small...it won’t be your last coach.
I don't believe in absolute statements like the one you've made. What I can say is that we have a 35-foot coach now, and it does just fine for the two of us in terms of the space (and has for the five years we've owned it, including nine consecutive days when the weather kept us indoors). Some people may need 40 or 45-feet. We haven't so far, and I don't expect we will later.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:40 AM   #28

Quote:
I don't believe in absolute statements like the one you've made. What I can say is that we have a 35-foot coach now, and it does just fine for the two of us in terms of the space (and has for the five years we've owned it, including nine consecutive days when the weather kept us indoors). Some people may need 40 or 45-feet. We haven't so far, and I don't expect we will later.
Agree completely.
Our Newmar VTDP 3433 checks all of our boxes and handles great.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, diesel, gas