Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2019, 11:23 AM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's value now would probably be as a parts vehicle. The generators sell fast and if the engine trans has that low of mileage, they're valuable too.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It's value now would probably be as a parts vehicle. The generators sell fast and if the engine trans has that low of mileage, they're valuable too.
I agree with Don. If it truly drives ok start trying to part out.
The only other thing I can think of is possibly a Deer blind or something like that. If it drives there is at least some value.

p.s. I went back to look at your early posts to see the history of your MH. I just want to say that on 5/19 post #8 you gave some of the most practical advice I've seen on this site. You have clearly learned from this heart wrenching ordeal. Thank you for sharing and I hope some day you will realize your dream to have a MH that works for you.
Good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'd say that Don has the right idea, sell the parts, not the whole. Somebody needs a generator, that guy over there has a blown engine, whosits needs tranny - etc etc. When it's down to the carcass take it off for the scrap metal (or give it to someone who'll do that). I have a friend who buys old crappy boats and sells the usable parts out of it. It takes months, but he nearly always comes out way ahead on the deal.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #18

The problem with parting it out is that at the end you're left with a frame that probably won't roll. You'll eat up the profit in parts hiring someone to dispose of the bones. I'd try selling as-is at best offer.

I watched a 1997 Winni in similar condition go from $10k to $1k over about 14months on Craigslist. With the interior gutted and no batteries it was not a driver, and nothing mechanical could be tested. Whoever bought it would have a major expense getting it moved to their location. When it finally disappeared from the RV listings, it was in the giveaway postings. I don't know what finally happened to it.
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:13 PM   #19

My first Class A was a wreck. I sold it to a guy that wanted to make a mobile shop out of it. Got near nothing for it but it was off the property. Yours looks much better.
I am also thinking $3K.

doesn't sound like you are in the mood or background to part it out. Move on.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:38 PM   #20

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
My first Class A was a wreck. I sold it to a guy that wanted to make a mobile shop out of it. Got near nothing for it but it was off the property. Yours looks much better.
I am also thinking $3K.

doesn't sound like you are in the mood or background to part it out. Move on.
It's in an RV storage space and, at this point, I'm going to relocate. While I'd just as happily sell it to someone that wants to part it out as someone that wants to build it out, I can't part it out myself. It looks fine on the outside. There are a hundred photos of it from where it started to where it ended up for someone that wants to rebuild it. Or food truck it, mobile shop, etc. Doesn't matter to me.

The consensus here seems to be $3k so that'll be the goal or it just gets donated. Thanks for all the feedback.
Gigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 10:58 PM   #21

Given the small house movement and vanlife... I would post it on Craigslist for $5000-6000... if no one responds you are too high.. Personally I would rather buy that for $4000 then a complete one at $12000.... I would target: Skoolies, Vanlife, tiny home with you marketing skills.. it is a good deal in my mind...
thedjjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #22

Sure wish i was near your location i would snap that in a heart beat...Two yrs ago i inherited a old 83 imperial...At first i will give you it was overwhelming, after time i became accustomed to what it really is just how simple it is. I walked away from anything labeled RV and became quite familiar with housing remodels...Even watched HG tv with the other half watching learning and listening....Actually became familiar with the terms i had never given any thought to...

RVs are very small what 300/400 square ft....Think cheap to rebuild...Now tooling up can be spendy but its all part of the game...A do it yourselfer can create a beautiful rv....Your Rv and 6000 dollars...in the interior it could be a knock out Speaking for myself its just the time it takes to get things done and the time it takes to understand how it all works..There's hope there it just getting started and some faith...
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #23

There IS an argument to be made that you have a blank canvas and the hard part of cleaning out the damage / repairing the leaks has been done.... Now it is ready to become what anyone would want.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:24 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjjack View Post
Given the small house movement and vanlife... I would post it on Craigslist for $5000-6000... if no one responds you are too high.. Personally I would rather buy that for $4000 then a complete one at $12000.... I would target: Skoolies, Vanlife, tiny home with you marketing skills.. it is a good deal in my mind...
Exactly.

This is what I was thinking too. I mean mechanically it's sound, it starts up and it's drivable.

This is a fast trending market these days. The only thing I'd change is the posted price. iI'd list it on CL for 5K and take 4K. They drive the thing away and you're done. Nobody on CL is going to pay what you're asking so build that into the price.

Make sure you take just cash and create a bill of sale and a buy-as-is forms before you sign over the title.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #25

As others have stated, it is time to cut your losses. There are always people looking for a 'project' who hope to make a few bucks or an inexpensive RV for themselves. Try it on CL for $4 to $5k and take anything over $1k. Your goal is to get rid of it before you have to pay someone to take it away. Just my 2 cents.

Your have gained several thousand $ in experience (aka, life tuition), so don't beat yourself up. I have made some royal screw ups in my life and, now in the rear view mirror, didn't amount to a hill of beans. Best of luck to you.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #26

Honestly, if I had the space to work on it and didn't need to live in it at the same time, I might be game. But where you are with it right now is a bit beyond my capabilities, and I'm already rebuilding the bedroom closets and dresser in my own unit. Then once that is done, the shower area will be next. But I learned my lesson, I'm not moving any walls.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #27

What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigtime View Post
I've got a 1999 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 31' Class A. 21k miles on the Ford Triton V10. Aluminum body and roof. No slides. Bought it for 13k with TTL in June.

I've seen a ton of people jumping into buying RV's to go full-time in and getting rid of the typical brown interior and remodeling them. For that type of .
This one is like "which on is better - apples or oranges" it depends.

To me I would jump on it in a heartbeat if the running gear checks out.

My only advice is NEVER take anything to a repair shop for a RESTORATION. They do not know how to restore, they know how to replace parts.

If you lack the skills, motivation, knowledge then by all means list it and sell it to the first one with money. Where to sell? My humble opinion is always local, at the price range you talking about locals are more likely to come touch, feel, smell, buy.
BruceDeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:26 PM   #28

If I understand your situation you have a gutted RV. The chassis and box are sound. To rebuild it as an RV is cost prohibitive unless someone with special needs wants to rebuild for their special use.
There maybe a market, however, for people wanting to use it as a food or service truck. Maybe a mobile office.
Think of it as truck rather then an RV. It has value tot eh right person.
Treker Vic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell