RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #1

Sell MH for Toyhauler?

We just moved to the Phoenix Az. area to retire. We are planning to spend the summer months up in Co. with our kids. Thinking about selling our Fleetwood Southwind 32V and buying a truck and 5er toy hauler.

Reason being I would like to take my motorcycle, E-bicycles, fishing poles, etc. with us in the summer along with having a pseudo garage to fiddle in. Also the fifth wheel would probably be more comfortable to live in for 5 months or so.

We really do love our MH but don't want to regret our decision if we sell it. I'd like to get this right the first time. Any opinions are appreciated. Thx
css899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 04:12 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a good plan. A 5th wheel set up the way you want it will provide for a more comfortable living arrangement and provide for the storage you want.

A friend of my wife purchased a Thor Outlaw toy hauler motor home. She came to visit back in June and I was generally impressed with how well though out as to how well the rig was setup up. Lots of storage, sleeping areas and the door to the toy hauler garage area also served as an elevated patio area with awning and railings. She was able to drive and set it up by herself.

Good Luck
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:37 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by css899 View Post
We just moved to the Phoenix Az. area to retire. We are planning to spend the summer months up in Co. with our kids. Thinking about selling our Fleetwood Southwind 32V and buying a truck and 5er toy hauler.

Reason being I would like to take my motorcycle, E-bicycles, fishing poles, etc. with us in the summer along with having a pseudo garage to fiddle in. Also the fifth wheel would probably be more comfortable to live in for 5 months or so.

We really do love our MH but don't want to regret our decision if we sell it. I'd like to get this right the first time. Any opinions are appreciated. Thx
What's the matter with a toy hauler motorhome and especially if you already have a toad set up to go.
https://www.rvuniverse.com/listings/...haulers/150022
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:16 PM   #4

I had a toy hauler trailer that I pulled with a Ram Cummins Diesel crewcab, long bed...

There was a lot to like about that combo as I frequently bring a motorcycle and always bring two Great Danes... the garage is a perfect place for both...

What I didn't like was the constant hooking & unhooking of the trailer. The trailer was harder to level, but mine had manual stabilizers only.. so I leveled it with ramps under the tires and the stabilizers just firmed it up so it didn't wobble..

I decided to jump to a Class A toy hauler.... I comapred the Thor to the Newmar and IMHO, the Newmar won hands down...

I bought my 2014 Newmar 3920 just before the Covid crap hit the wall, so I've only done 3 trips in it so far....

So far... I much prefer the the Class A toy hauler to the toy hauler trailer... easier setup & tear down... the toad unhooks quickly and effortlessly (I tow a Jeep Wrangler).... and with the two bigger slide outs, it has a ton of room for me, the wife, and the two Danes (130lbs & 160lbs) when they aren't hanging out in the garage...

If I didn't have two dogs, I would probably try for a DP with a stacker trailer... not a cheap alternative, but would let me take my toad and motorcycle(s).. as well as the advantages of a DP for travel/towing and liveability...

I didn't dislike the toy hauler trailer... it was nice and I loved it... But it seemed to be more work than the Class A toy hauler, and I just like the Class A toy hauler better...
Old 11-30-2020, 08:02 PM   #5

Obviously most of this comes down to preference. I love the idea of a Class A, but I do not think it would work for how we use ours.

I often hear the statement that a class A is easier to set up then a 5th. While that might have been true 5 or 10 years ago or more it is not so much any more, especially if you tow with it.

With our unit we park, put the front landing gear down, pull the one lever and one plug from the truck, pull out and hit auto level. Then hook up, if there are hook ups and run out the slides.

Really the only difference is hitching and unhitching, but again if you are pulling a toad or trailer with your class A is it really different?

Usually when we take our time it takes 15 min to set up and 20-25 to leave. Most of the extra time leaving is just double checking everything to make sure no mistakes are made. In a rush we can easily cut that in half.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:56 PM   #6

My only concern would be the smell of gas/diesel/oil from garage seeping into living quarters of RV, hard to get that smell out.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
My only concern would be the smell of gas/diesel/oil from garage seeping into living quarters of RV, hard to get that smell out.
That would depend on what you put in your garage...

My bikes don't leak oil or gas, and I don't store gas cans in the garage portion.

I've never had bad smells/fumes in or from my garage area...
Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
If your stuff leaks, that may be an issue. We have not experienced any leaks yet.

Toy haulers also have "special" vents to keep open while traveling. Some of "sealed" doors between the living space and the garage, but depending how you use your hauler, the garage is living space. Ours is just a standard glass slider and have not experienced issues with smells.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:45 PM   #9

We have a fifth wheel now towed by a F450. It always takes me at least 30 min to get unhitched and set up. I'm thinking the MH's would be much easier - just drive up, hit the levelling jacks and hook up the power and water/dump lines (which can wait to the next day if you're tired).
TheLex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:17 PM   #10

Can anyone comment on the living area in something like the Newmar 3920 or the Thor Outlaw compared to the toyhauler 5th wheel?

We are planning on spending 4-5 months in the rig in the summer. I'm guessing both (toy hauler & class A) have about the same amount of living space available? A comfortable living area will be important. Thx
css899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by css899 View Post
Can anyone comment on the living area in something like the Newmar 3920 or the Thor Outlaw compared to the toyhauler 5th wheel?

We are planning on spending 4-5 months in the rig in the summer. I'm guessing both (toy hauler & class A) have about the same amount of living space available? A comfortable living area will be important. Thx
The newer Thor Outlaw's have a better floor plan than the older ones...

I needed to buy used, and the Newmar 3920 has a proper bedroom, that the wife liked... The Thor's had the "sky bed" which the wife didn't like...

I not only liked the floor plan of the 3920 better, but it seemed to me that the Newmar had much better fit and finish. The Newmar seemed to be better made than the Thor, and it seemed to be more "upscale" than the Thor... That's all just my opinion..

The 5th wheels I looked at, with the forward bedroom, seemed to have a ton of room.. Hard not to like the layouts of the 5th wheels I looked at... Some of the ones I looked at had a pretty big price tag...

I had a 2014 3/4 ton Ram diesel. It could pull the weight of the 5th wheels, but could not handle the pin weight of any of the 5th wheel toy haulers I liked... I was also trying to get away from the trailer experience and try out the Class A...
Old 12-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
The loft bed of the older Thor Class A toyhauler is something you either love or hate. For me, it is just fine. The remainder of the living space is more than comparable to any other mid-size RV platform. The newer floor plans have a salon area that converts to a bed so you don't have to use the loft except as an extra sleeping area.

I use the RV's garage as my permanent home for my bike, even when at the S&B. All my gear and cleaning supplies are right there.

Add a toad, and you've got it all. I've added a stacked washer and dryer in the garage along with a fold down work bench with a complete set of tools.

Good luck with your selection!
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:56 AM   #13

I had a 42' triple axle toy hauler that we thought would be our forever camper going in to retirement.

I towed it with a 1 ton F350 Crew Cab with a long bed. That thing was so heavy I had to put air bags on the truck to level it up after hooking up. The next problem was the set up was so long I had a real hard time backing in to Corp campgrounds. Plus the aggravation of handling the length/weight while going down the road.

By the time I got anywhere I was totally stressed out and the DW and I would be at it trying to get it backed in and set up. We kept it for 2 years and finally went to a DP.

I miss not having my Harley and Cricket golf cart with me all the time but plan on getting a Deck over Dolly trailer so I can haul the Harley, our Canyon PU, and the Cricket golf cart in the bed of the Canyon.

Tags
sell