Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #1

Selling an RV - best place to advertise?

Does anyone have any experience of advertising an RV for sale and getting responses? Paid for or Free.

I have obviously posted it in the Classified section of IRV2 but where else would you recommend? Where do people look when searching for an RV.

I will try the local Craigslist but haven't had good vibes from that in the past so thinking that a dedicated website would be better. Also CL is far too localized.

Not interested in putting it on a consignment lot at this stage.

Thanks
steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I found mine on Traderonline.com, I would also look at Craigslist. There was a post 2-3 days ago about this, do a search, there were a lot of suggestions.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

Thanks

I'll look for the other thread - tried search and couldn't find it. I'll give traderonline.com a try - little restricted as they only list for 2 weeks for their $15

Steve
Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Craigslist.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #5

Once you get it advertised in RV trader, Craigs List etc. beware of these guys who call you up and want $300-500 to list with them because they are the people who bring the money etc. IMHO this is a scam. The say they have people just looking for a rig like yours bla bla bla, yea right, they want your money up front and then do nothing is my experience.

One guy called me and said he was certain he could sell my rig within 2 weeks, but he must have $500 first. My response was, I would agree to a non exclusive arrangement with a 7% commission on a $160K unit for just bringing the person to me and upon completion of the sale, he would get his money, This was $11k in his pocket vs $500. He rejected this option, thus so much for his "sure thing".

I ended up selling for $152k but not through the weasels who tried to scam me. I wonder if others have had similar experiences.

Good luck on your sale.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #6

Thanks - I have sold cars in the past and the same mud suckers have called me up several times - my response was if they were so good then how come I had never heard about them and bought a car/truck/home from them.

They seem to trawl craigslist a lot which is why I try and avoid that along with the people who want to give you 10c on the $.

Congrats on selling yours, mine is an older and hence cheaper one but I am throwing in a Smart Car with it
Old 08-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #7

Even though I had the last RV I sold advertized on line and with a paper RV Trader, I sold mine based on a sign in the window when I was using my rig. I was in a campground and fellow camper came up to me and made his enquiry. I showed him around and then he brought his wife over and within two weeks the deal was done.

I was willing to accept real estate or another vehicle as full or partial payment, but this ended up being a cash deal. If you are in a position to do a trade for another asset it may improve your chance of selling and getting a good price.

I had a for sale sign on the front, back and each side and I received many calls from this and I had a backup buyer who was going to trade his house for my rig +$120k for his house I figured being worth about $330k but I had already agreed to sell to the guy who offered me cash. I would have had the house appraised before I ever made such a deal. One must complete due dilligence on any such private deal of course but financially the house trade would have turned out better for me and the seller would avoid real estate fees of about 6%.

Just a thought, but being willing to trade opens up a lot of opportunities that might not otherwise be explored and a sign on the rig worked for me.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rv trader .com
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

Libero - actually I have no idea why I didn't think of that!!

I am going to get a couple of nice signs made up today and as you say, where better to advertise than in a campground.

Now I just have to get DW to clean and tidy ready for visitors
Old 08-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #10

I trade fairly often. have used several places. CL has worked best for me. I'm in the 20 to 50 range. I get best results from posting as many angles/features as I can. I always put price and say firm. Give all info motor size, hp, mpg, bout every thing you would ask. I think it eliminates most people and you get some legit calls. I also have and always put a phone number.
Get the cheapest throw away you can and it comes in handy when you use it. Like pesky forms that insist on phone or email address. I just use throw and go and second email address.
I try to get off phone as soon as price discount is asked. Never had a showing with someone that discuss's price. I just ask what it is that didn't like when they looked at it. I think there are some folks that just call for amusement or bottom feeders that have no intention of buying anything.
I worked in middle east for a long time and remember the saying, got to kiss a lot of frogs butts before you get a prince!! think same is true in this case.
Just my humble opinion.
Orchardhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #11

I have had mine for sale just about everywhere. It even has a facebook page! By far, I have received the most responses from rvtrader.
4tfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #12

Did you sign up for just the 2 week plan or the whole year?

I'm not sure how long it will take and whether the $15 2 week ad would be sufficient?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #13

Spartan Chassis
Hi All..
Just sold my 97 American Eagle. Maybe just lucky but sold it in less than a week.. The buyer actually came from Craigslist. I actually sold it before the ad appeared on RV Trader..
Had multiple calls but first one to show up bought it..
I think taking really good good pictures and lots of them and a really good description are most important.. Of course a realistic price is top of the list..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme DS04
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #14

I will throw in one more option, one I used when I sold my last mh. Try Dream finders, no upfront money and only 1% if they sell it. They will market it and only call you when they have a qaulified buyer. You can continue to try selling it and if you do you owe them nothing. That was 6 years ago so not sure if anything has changed but worth checking into. I no longer have their number but a google search for Dream Finders will work. Good luck.
chastho is offline   Reply With Quote