Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2022, 02:14 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Selling Coach tips

We’re selling our 2020 Class A Entegra and we now have a buyer. I am assuming we have to provide a bill of sale and of course the title. We’ve never sold our motorhome outright to a buyer so this is a new experience. For those who have, can you provide any lessons learned? We are in Wisconsin, the buyer in Arizona. We’ll drive the motorhome to Arizona and complete the transaction there. Any info you can provide will be helpful.
Crose55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2022, 02:19 PM   #2

I would use an escrow company to hold contracts and funds and title before going anywhere. You could get to AZ and the buyer backs out. Delivering the moho before payment in full plus expenses is the worst idea in the history of ideas.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #3

Arizona Dept of Motor Vehicles or some equivalent should have the needed info on their website. I agree with BigEvi on using and escrow agent or attorney. Much less expensive than having things go wrong when you get to Arizona.
2TxAgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:03 AM   #4

Before I would consider any delivery of the unit I would have the cashiers check for the entire amount due. All the paperwork would be completed with a Bil-of-sale that contained all the contract agreements made. Signed contracts can be e-mailed between seller and buyer. I have sold several items requiring titles and always go this route and have not been disappointed.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:27 AM   #5

Selling Coach tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb View Post
Before I would consider any delivery of the unit I would have the cashiers check for the entire amount due. All the paperwork would be completed with a Bil-of-sale that contained all the contract agreements made. Signed contracts can be e-mailed between seller and buyer. I have sold several items requiring titles and always go this route and have not been disappointed.

I agree. Take a 10 percent non refundable deposit, before you leave. When you get there, let them look it over and then go to their bank to get the cashiers check, before you complete the title transfer. Deposit it in your bank, before turning the title and keys over to the coach.
If they back out, you keep their 10% deposit and enjoy your vacation.
rssnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:40 AM   #6

Assuming you are comfortable with the purchaser and their intentions on purchasing the RV, be sure to complete the sale at a bank of other financial institution. Insist upon funds wired to your bank or lending institution prior to handing over the keys. Banks do this all the time, so it should not be a problem for them. Some may charge a small fee, others may not. Then wish the purchaser well and head out for your next adventure.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #7

State to state transfers can be annoying. I bought my coach from a guy living in Idaho but he kept it licensed in Arizona. I had to buy the coach from his bank and got nothing in return while the title was sent to the seller ! Luckily they were very nice trustworthy people but I could have easily been screwed. Oh, and I did take the coach home with a bill of sale - but that is a piece of paper. So yes, escrow agent of some kind. Then once the title was signed over to me, it took three trips to the licensing place to get it finally transferred and then of course there is the sales tax issue (not the OP's problem).

OP is very nice offering to drive the coach to the buyer, no offense but I would not because anything could happen between points A and B. In my experience if someone wants something they get on a plane and drive it home.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 06:32 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I agree on asking buyer to fly to seller. I did that when seller was in AZ. I drove out initially to check it out in person and agreed on sales price. I gave them a deposit (10% I think). Secured financing and flew out. Seller picked me up at the airport, we consummated the deal and I drove the Monaco home. Easy peasy.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:36 AM   #9

I agree on the buyer coming out to you and especially right now in the winter with all the snowy/icy conditions you guys have up there.

As I think about what would that look like if you drive down there:
1) You do all the driving and take all the risks
2) Pay for all the expenses to get there
3) Once in AZ it probably will take at least 2 or 3 days to wrap up all the paper work and funds with involved parties
4) Now you have to buy a plane ticket at top tier price because you need it now and with current weather conditions it may get cancelled, you end up in a hotel and all that.

No thank you. He's buying, he goes thru all that. Used MH's are in big demand right now. You're in the drivers seat.
mr.tommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:59 AM   #10

Number 1 rule when selling anything privately,

1 WIRE TRANSFER ONLY PRIOR TO ANY TITLE WORK OR COACH MOVING.

2 Reread #1

IMHO if the buyer is not willing to fly in and inspect it himself but wants you to drive half way across the country so he can see it...sketchy at best. I did sell a coach a couple years ago that after payment, title transfer the buyer asked me to deliver it, I charged him actual cost of travel and airfare home.

There are so many scams out there and with the used market as good as it is, I'd be looking for another buyer.

PS I have a buddy looking, please send me info and pictures if you like
captvan@protonmail.com
Capt Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:45 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you for the great advise. The potential owner did fly to Milwaukee to inspect the coach (altho since it’s winterized he couldn’t check out the plumbing system). This is their first MH and he hasn’t had very much behind the wheel driving yet. That’s why we said we would drive it to Arizona…we thought we could help a couple get into RVing. And, a break from the Wisconsin cold isn’t all that bad either.

We’ll definitely check out an escrow company and investigate all the options you’ve shared. Thank you so much.
Crose55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell, tips