Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #71
epj

In with the group that cautions against trying to pull the TT with the Jeep some years back we bought a 21' rear slide model that only weighed about 5500 lb. Before we got home from the dealers lot we knew the Jeep V-8 wasn't going to do the job. Too much weight and not enough vehicle. A 2500 Suburban with 454 suddenly appeared in the driveway. It would have pulled a 30' with ease. We had the Suburban long after the TT was gone.
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #72

I have a 30' TT being pulled by an Expedition. Our SUV is rated to pull 9200 lbs. I have a light trailer, goss 6500. I estimate my trailer is 3800 dry and probably about 4800 completely loaded. My wife gets motion sick easily as well. It sucks driving and riding in it for any length of time. It is terrible, we deal with it because we love spending time camping with the family.

After a year with a travel trailer we are looking to get a class a. I am not suggesting that you not get a TT, but if you do a few suggestions. Get a no sway, not an anti-sway hitch. If I had to do over again, the sway on a TT is significantly worse than that of a MH. Even a light TT will bounce that jeep all over the lane without the correct hitch. That will be just as bad for your wife.

If you put 1/2 down on a Terra, you could probably get a Truck and 5er. Everyone I have spoken to says that is the way to go if you want to pull something. Some friends tell me it is night and day driving with their 5er over their TT. Maybe you can consider that...
FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:13 PM   #73

Having started with a 29 foot TT, moving up to two fifth wheels, and now into a 35 foot class A, I can tell you that the TT was ok, the fifth wheels 100 percent better, and the class A, wish I'd done it sooner. I think you'll be making a hugh mistake going to a TT and trying to pull it with a Jeep.
Jacobsnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by compute42 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm gonna try the CHeap Handling fix, a rear track bar and some KONI's first, see how the wife feels about that… Hopefully just enough to keep her ok. The sidewind gusts scares the bejebus out of her.
or you could just do the sumo springs...

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 PM   #75

LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:55 AM   #76

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by compute42 View Post
Thanks everyone for the responses. I'm gonna try the CHeap Handling fix, a rear track bar and some KONI's first, see how the wife feels about that… Hopefully just enough to keep her ok. The sidewind gusts scares the bejebus out of her.
I have a 2013 35k terra,which was very noisy,and not so great to drive when we first got it. I have been going at it since nov 2012, insulated complete cargo area to dampen sound,looked behind and under every drawer for possible rattles,addressed every rattle that I heard,just added sumo springs,waiting now for safety steer to arrive. coach is becoming more and more pleasurable to drive, much quieter, can actually hear the radio or hold a conversation without screaming, no longer feels like driving a UPS truck, that goes a long way in the overall riding experience for the wife in the passenger seat. After doing these things and many many more, we are very happy with the ride. If I had to change to a different unit for any reason , it would be back to a large class c, at least 30 ft, not a tt, just my opinion.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 05:52 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
I did the TT thing before my A DP. The time and hassle setting up a TT for a weekend was a pain. If you're not a young person 35 or less, you really should take the time to see what you're getting into. Especially on hot days. Be REALLY sure you want to go there.

I'm sooooo happy to get into a class A from a TT.

Hope you can find what you and your wife need.

My first impulse was to say get rid of the wife....LOL
I like and agree with your first impulse
Rbbauer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a