Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2021, 05:31 PM   #1

Selling RV paperwork

Hi all, getting close to selling my RV. Just getting up to speed on the paperwork required. I have the title, I know I need to create a bill of sales. Iíve been looking online and found templates. Some have witness signatures, some say they should be notarized. If itís notarized why have a witness, do I need it to be witnessed or notarized? Any advice?

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2021, 05:39 PM   #2

May depend on the state. When I bought mine in TX (without a title in the seller's name, complicated), there was no other witness or notary involved. I did a bonded title.
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 05:48 PM   #3

It all depends on the state. In Michigan all I need is a title that is assigned to me by the seller with the date and the mileage in the appropriate spots and any lien released. Heck it used to be if the lien was over 6 years old you didn't even need the lien release. You need to find out what the state you are in requires but I doubt it will be much more, maybe less if it's a trailer. Don't over think it.
arcaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRover37BA View Post
Hi all, getting close to selling my RV. Just getting up to speed on the paperwork required. I have the title, I know I need to create a bill of sales. Iíve been looking online and found templates. Some have witness signatures, some say they should be notarized. If itís notarized why have a witness, do I need it to be witnessed or notarized? Any advice?

Thanks!
RedRover,
Here is most likely NOT the place to ask about something like that. Every single state operates differently. The smartest thing you can do is, either go on line and find your states website for motor vehicles and go to the section about requirements for sales. Or, simply buzz on down to your local Department of Motor vehicles and ASK what's required. Or, CALL them. What we tell you on here could be considerably different than what's ACTUALLY required by your state.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:44 PM   #5

Hi Scott, understood and already in process of doing that, both at my end and the buyers end. I was just curious regarding other folks experience. Thanks to all for the replies
Old 03-31-2021, 08:10 PM   #6
Decrepit Forum Advocate

As has been said, it's state-by-state. Some states actually have their own form for a Bill of Sale. When we sold vehicles in Montana, the state had their own form for a Bill of Sale and it did in fact require a notary ...HERE is the example

However, in many states, you can use a generic Bill of Sale form or one that the state provides. In Washington state, for instance, we used the state's form --the example HERE-- and it didn't need to be notarized.

I don't believe in Massachusetts --I'm going by your profile location-- the state actually provides their own form for a Bill of Sale but as you noted, there are generic forms to use in MA and it appears the state does not require for it to be notarized. Let's wait for first-and experience from a MA resident to chime in to confirm.

Here's one some relatives of ours in the Boston area used when they sold their Class B on a private sale ...it's from "Freeforms.com" and is very simple and without a lot of frivolous information needed and is labeled for Massachusetts --it's a fill-in form for convenience too:
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:16 PM   #7

Many State DMV website has all the instructions and forms required online. Go to you State DMV website and click on Forms. Download the form for BILL of Sale and follow the instructions .
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:33 PM   #8
Decrepit Forum Advocate

Correction: that PDF I attached in a previous post IS actually provided by Massachusetts ...it was only made "fillable" by freeforms.com.

Here is it in un-fillable format on the mass.gov website:

Commonwealth of Massachusetts Division of Law Enforcement RECREATIONAL
VESSEL/VEHICLE BILL OF SALE

However, it will be much more convenient if you use the one attached two posts above this one as it will be FILLABE and you won't have to use longhand with a pen.

Since this is an official document provided by the MA government, it obviously does not need to be notarized.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:14 AM   #9

Thanks to all for the replies, very helpful!
Old 04-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #10

I live in Illinois and recommend getting a bill of sale also. With the date, serial number and price paid. I bought a coach several years ago way below book. When I went to the DMV to get it registered, paid my tax on how much I paid, didn't show them the bill of sale they never asked for it. Couple months later I get this letter from the DMV saying I still owe $854.00 more sales tax. They took the Highest book price for the coach and based my tax bill on that. I had to produce proof of how much I paid. Now I get a bill of sale on every thing I buy used. Just bought an old boat, same thing have to show proof of how much I paid, 6.25% sales tax.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell