Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
I think we understand that Beefy. Just impressed with what can be done.
If you think that was impressive, take a look at what this guy did with the same set-up.

Fair warning: this video contains "colorful language" for those that would like to know.

https://youtu.be/ls1_xCdVCZ8
C5c5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #128

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
there is no comparison between this dump truck video and backing up a toad 4 down. none whatsoever. the 4 down toad "tongue", is 4 foot max. plus the front wheels on the car turn independently of everything else.
I never suggested that there was a comparison. I understand how backing a four down toad would be very different. There are many different trailer sets ups and combs, I would imagine backing is different in many of these cases.

I've only backed 5th wheelers and bumper tows. So my hands-on experience is very limited. The video was about a skill few truckers know. As I understand only two tucking families in the Albuquerque area did this a number of years ago. Perhaps it's done elsewhere, no idea about that.

For a dollar spent, no other truckers could compete with these guys for moving large volumes in a short time. The coolest part was they could back the jacked trailer up a wide ramp to a hopper to dump the front load.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #129
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Cool !

That's why there is such a long reach between truck and trailer.
Actually the long reach is to meet the required distance for the bridge law.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #130

Here is from our area...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
A few years ago at my work we had a semi completely cut across the sidewalk at a corner (literally driving through a plaza rather than staying on the roadway), damaged a sculpture and a city streetlight. Fortunately, the city has cameras at various intersections, and the video was used to track down the truck. When the police asked him about it, he said he didn't know anything about what happened. The officer said - we have you on video cutting across the sidewalk and plaza. The driver's response was - well, I guess if you have video, I must have done it.

You can't fix stupid, and stupid won't own up to it anyway...
How could they not know...?

In the driveway, a few hundred feet then around and between a couple buildings then another hundred feet or so.

Almost hit 2 buildings.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_155148.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	276535Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_155905.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	276536Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_155838.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	276537Click image for larger version

Name:	20190128_155820.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	276538
Old 02-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGDLD View Post
I’m not sure it would. Bluetooth is notoriously unreliable when it has to go through walls or over about 50’ clear. Keeping in mind 53’ trailers with a load, blocking signal, plus the truck, I think there would have to be a booster on the trailer for it to work.

Not saying it wouldn’t be a great idea, it would be. I think it would take more planning and high quality equipment, and probably not something a driver could swap from truck to truck.
True...

When a remote sensor for a thermometer won't get from the back of the trailer to the cab (300' range) I'm doubtful Bluetooth will...

Especially when I can't talk on the phone when I walk halfway back down the trailer...

There's not a whole lot of ferrous metal back there either, so magnetic mounts won't work...
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #132

Truckers do not back doubles, they unhook and back singles. A lot of long haul drivers do not back and some can not. they have drivers at the terminals that back to the dock, unhook and go.
Have backed hay wagons hard enough, why would some one even try to back two.
As for the trucker every one has a bad day that's why we have insurance.
Years ago I was coming out a parking area and tried to back up a few feet to get straight some one had a air horn on a pickup truck that had pulled in on my back bumper and saved me a lot of money.
Never backed 4 down as with double easier to unhook.
gibbyid is offline   Reply With Quote